Author Topic: Anyone have an "exited pee'er?" :)  (Read 6437 times)

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Anyone have an "exited pee'er?" :)
« on: December 08, 2007, 11:51:28 am »
I'm sorry for that subject line. :) I am sure that isn't how to spell that. LOL! :)

I was wondering if anyone else has a dog that wets when he/she gets excited? Isis just started doing this. :( We are just curious if there is anything medically wrong that causes this and if there can be anything done to help?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Blessings!
Amy Lynn
Blessings! :)
Amy Lynn

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have an "exited pee'er?" :)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 12:12:39 pm »
Thank you so much, Holly!

I am so embarrassed.  :-[ I couldn't think of the word "incontinence" for the life of me when I posted that. I'm sorry.

I will get her into the vet to make sure she doesn't have an infection. Thank you!

We haven't had her spayed yet. We have been discussing that. I had no idea that spaying can cause that issue also.

Thanks again!
Blessings!
Amy Lynn
Amy Lynn

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 04:06:13 pm »
Zita did that for a few weeks when hubby got home from work, so I changed their routine.  He started calling me when he was about 15 minutes away and I'd take Zita out for potty.  When hubby arrived, he stopped greeting the dog right away and waited for her to settle down.  At first he would greet her outside.  After she stopped the piddling he greeted her indoors.  It took about a month, 9 to 12 workdays for him, before she stopped.

It started during the growth spurt where her legs were growing so fast and long that she looked like a spider, or a baby horse.  Since it only happened when hubby came home from work, I figured it was a maturation and behavorial issue and not an infection.

The problems after spaying can be from disturbing the dog's insides or cut nerves.  With males it can be from nerves being cut.  Friends of mine had a male cat who had nerves cut during his neutering that left him leaky.  If he got picked up, he got wrapped in an old towel first.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 05:11:58 am »
Thank you so much!

Great idea of changing the routine, too. I will definitely try to rule out the infection first and then try that. :)
Thanks.

Blessings!
Amy
Amy Lynn

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 04:27:05 pm »
Ah yes - Tani went through about a year of being a
"submissive peer". Any time anyone reached to pet her, she'd piddle all over the floor and flop on her back. We started asking people not to reach for her, but to just ignore her when they first came in (we did the same) and that helped a lot! She did it more with men than women, and only if they reached down to her. It completly messed up my attempts to pass her off as a "guard" dog, though. I wanted her to have the image of scary even though she's a mush. However, when I had to tell people "she'll be fine if you don't reach out to her", we got our image back. By "people", I mean like the cable guy or whatever. Anyway, she doesn't do it as often anymore. You can google "submissive urination" in dogs for more info. Obviously, rule out medical issues first as has been suggested, though. GOod luck!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 06:17:42 pm »
I agree with everything everyone has said here.  My aunt had a dog that was an excited "pee-er".  Whenever anyone came to her house and tried petting the dog she would piddle all over the floor.  There was nothing wrong with her medically.  So in the end you just weren't allowed to pet poor little Ubu untill she calmed down a bit, then she was fine.

Good luck! :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline AnnaCrew

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
    • Come and pat Grace
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 10:30:42 pm »
I had one excited submissive peer, he was like that from about 6 months to a year or so, and only to hubby, but we had not done anything so he just grew out of it, like he matured. In our case it was just puppy's pack beheivior thing and nothing to really worry about.
If Isis is an adult dog then vet check is the first thing to start with. Hope all will be ok!
http://ozolkalni.blogspot.com/
Come and pat Grace athttp://en.uniteddogs.com/dog/16498

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 07:01:42 am »
Ali, Alex and AnnaCrew:

Thank you all so much! I am going to take Isis in this week to rule out the bladder infection. If everything checks out Ok there, I will probably try the ignoring her at first when we come home. It is so hard, though. She is just so darn cute and sweet! :) The other day, it happened when she thought I was getting her leash to take her for a walk.
Poor thing.

Thanks again! :)
Blessings!
Amy Lynn
Amy Lynn