Great Danes > Great Dane Discussions

Not sure about the breeder...

(1/4) > >>

mikeypage10:
Right now I am looking for a dane (hurray!)... I'm flip-flopping between an adult and puppy.. still not positive which way I'll go on that one.  I have been looking for about 3 years now and am aware of all of the local places (breeders, rescues, etc.) and have found a breeder that is fairly local and doesn't charge a mortgage downpayment for a pup.  I am getting mixed signals from them and wanted to bounce it off of some other dane folks and see what you think.

Positives - their danes are gorgeous and healthy and very vibrant.  They will refund $200 of the price with proof of spay/neuter (this seems to indicate they are somewhat responsible) and all around seem like very nice people.

Negatives - I asked if the puppies' dam and sire had been screened for the typical dane hereditary health issues: hip dysplasia, hypothyroidism, cataracts, etc.  The response was that both parents are in excellent health and they believe the x-rays to be harmful and that danes don't live for a very long time, so cataracts don't really become an issue.

Does this seem like they are just avoiding these precautions?  Uneducated about the breed?  I'm sure their puppies are probably in great health, but I am a little anxious about bringing home a puppy then gaining thousands of dollars in vet bills and an unhealthy and unhappy pet.  Ideas, thoughts, anyone?

GYPSY JAZMINE:
That's a toughie for me because samson came from a breeder that didn't do the health testing but she was able to provide me with references from people that bought pups from any previous litters (If I remember correctly there were 3 litters before Sam & then his mom was spayed) from Sam's mom & dad & also was able to see any vet records on the mom & dad...I felt pretty o.k. with that but it remains a fact that only time will tell for sure...I do want to say though that the new pup we are picking up comes with a health & temperment gauruntee & I feel much better about him...Good luck in choosing!

RedyreRottweilers:
Please keep in mind that doing all the things required to select the best dogs for breeding is expensive.

Dog shows, health testing, environment, proper food, stud fees, breeding expenses, etc is all very expensive.

Someone in my breed once said,

"It is best to only cry once when buying a purebred puppy, when you open your wallet to pay for it".

Purchase price of your puppy should be your LAST consideration. Find a breeder who is doing ALL health testing, and who is screening you hard when you call. Buy only from a breeder who sells you a puppy with a health guarantee and a contract.

Average prices for a good pet quality puppy from a caring responsible breeder is around $800, more for some toy breeds, or others that are difficult to breed or require sections for whelping like Boston Terriers or Bulldogs.

The best place to start looking for your breeder is off the website of the National Club for your breed.

The AKC http://www.akc.org has links to each National club on the left hand sidebar of each breed standard on their site.

So go look up your Dane standard at AKC and find the link to the National club. Contact some breeders in your area. Ask a few questions. You will find out very quickly who the people are that you would like to deal with.

Buying from an experienced caring breeder also gets you a great warranty and built in support. This is part of what you are paying for when you pay all that money for your purebred puppy from a responsible breeder. This breeder will answer ALL your questions, and will know exactly how to help and advise you for the LIFE of your puppy.

Responsible breeders will require the S/N of your pet puppy.

Good luck, if you need more help finding the info on the GDCA website, just let me know, and I'll be happy to help.

Don't rush. Selecting your breeder will be THE most important decision you make in buying your puppy.

:D

GR8DAME:
I would also need further research. Remember, there are breeders out there who will tell you anything to get the cash in their pocket, then forget that they ever met you. We've had plenty of posts on them, and once that happens, your options are severely limited. I looked almost three years for my first dane, then spent another year researching the breeder and following his dogs on the show circut before I committed. My dane mix was from a rescue, and athough we knew very little about him health and heritage-wise and have no garantee for him, we didn't pay big bucks for him either. Other than one HOD scare (false diagnosis, lousy vet) and some mild hip dysplagia that my new vet says he should outgrow as his joints form my mix is as healthy as can be. What I do miss is the support, as Red said, of a good breeder. But yiu get what you pay for.
Stella

Anky:
Seriously,  It's better to pay $1,000 - $1,500 for a pet quality Dane pup then get a "Bargain Pup" for $500.  Red is right, quality dogs take quality money.  And that $1,000 is a drop in the bucket compared to what you'll pay if your pup has health issues that could have been screened for.  (A woman I know spent $600 on her puppy and has spent well over $30,000 in medical bills over the past year and a half). 

Also, and this isn't meant to sound mean so PLEASE don't take it that way.  Danes are one of the most expensive dogs to own because of their size.  Medically evertyhing is done by weight, vaccinations, medications, even surgeries.  Bigger collars, bowls, toys, the only crate really suited for a Dane is the Midwest Collosal (Or Model # 99) and I've never seen one go for less than $200.  Not to mention that Danes need special consideration in regards to their food (ie Expensive), not to mention more of it.  Something that I've seen said time and time again, and unfortunately seen proved numerous times, is that if you can't afford a quality puppy, you usually can't afford to keep the dog. 

Also, Gyspy said that Samson's parents weren't health tested.  If I remember correctly his parents were working dogs.  Many times working dog breeders don't health test their dogs, but honestly DANES DON'T WORK!  In my opinion there should be no excuse a Dane breeder could give for not showing and health testing their dogs.  My Setter is a field type, as such she can't be shown, but her father has multiple field trial championships, and her mother is a hunting dog, along with ranking high in the local standings.    Because Dane's can't prove themselves like that, showing is, in my opinion, the only way to prove that they're worthy of breeding.

The decision is yours, but I would stay away from this breeder.  If you're interested you can PM me and I can give you a ton of links for tips on buying a Dane pup.

Ang

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version