Author Topic: Getting ready for Thanksgiving when you have a Pyr in the house...  (Read 3247 times)

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
So I'm curious as to how peopele get their dogs ready for the chaos of the holidays?  This is the first year we're hosting Thanksgiving Dinner and we're expecting 20 people!!  My concern is that all the activity (and kids) might be overwhelming for Bo, who wants to keep tabs on everyone in the house and has a history of getting overwhelmed in crowds.  How do you keep a guardian dog from getting overstimulated by the comings and goings of everyone?  She's not crate trained, so I can't use that as a means of helping her cope.  I've got a Xanax on hand just in case she has a meltdown, but I'm hoping that doesn't happen becuase I don't want to drug her!!  I know that this is a strange question, but since this is my first time hosing the whole family, I thought someone out there might have had a similar experience and could offer some tips! 
Thanks
Jenn, Bo & Floyd in CA
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Getting ready for Thanksgiving when you have a Pyr in the house...
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 08:38:14 am »
I take Lily to the dog park for an hour or so before having people over. She gets so tired that after 2 or 3rd person entering the door she doesn't pay attention to anything after  :D
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 10:43:46 am »
Yeah, the backyard thing is a good idea.  She also has a trolly run outside the fenced yard that might be a good place for her, too.  I think I'm more anxious than she is-probably because when we had our housewarming part/birthday party for my husband, she did not do well with all the activity.  To her defense, we had just moved and she was not adjusted AT ALL to the move, plus there were some people who got drunk and forgot about the personal space issue, which I think made her more uncomfortable.  I'm hoping that this event (now two years later) will be less stressful for everyone (me included).  I'm going to cross my fingers!!

Offline AnnaCrew

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
    • Come and pat Grace
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 03:18:38 am »
I would recomend a good tiring day out before people arrive. How about this - husband always gets on my nerves when I need do something big in kitchen, so maybe in your case it would be good to send them both out for a loooong walk-play session, so they are back just bfore the first knock at the door.
My pack is opposite (except new rescue girl), when they feel that party is coming they are on the 7th heaven and the only annoying thing about them - they like guests too much and can lick them to death.
http://ozolkalni.blogspot.com/
Come and pat Grace athttp://en.uniteddogs.com/dog/16498

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 11:26:28 am »
A long walk is on the agenda for that day-but since my husband is a chef, I'll be the one walking!!! =)  Bo has always been sensitive to crowds and tends to look for an exit, but when it's in our house, I think she is compelled to know/assess where everyone is.  It's possible that I'm more anxious than she is, so I'm working on keeping myself in check so that I don't affect her state of mind.  She's pretty intuitive to what's going on with me and I'm sure that the impending arrival of my snarky in-laws isn't helping me either!! =)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 12:38:39 pm »
A long walk is on the agenda for that day-but since my husband is a chef, I'll be the one walking!!! =)  Bo has always been sensitive to crowds and tends to look for an exit, but when it's in our house, I think she is compelled to know/assess where everyone is.  It's possible that I'm more anxious than she is, so I'm working on keeping myself in check so that I don't affect her state of mind.  She's pretty intuitive to what's going on with me and I'm sure that the impending arrival of my snarky in-laws isn't helping me either!! =)

Ewww, snarky in-laws?  Ugh, I've been there.  ::)  I like the idea of a walk, but maybe you & Bo could take one before everyone arrives and then maybe take another one if the snarkiness gets on your nerves.  You know, "Oops, sorry!  I have to take Bo for a walk!  Ta, ta!"  I kinda like that idea.  :P  :-X  ;D  My in-law experience was at it's worst when our kids were tiny and it was hard to make a fast escape with a couple of little one's in tow.  >:(  I hope that it goes well for you.   :)
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees