Author Topic: Scrotal swelling post neutering  (Read 6038 times)

Offline queenkofsnow

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Scrotal swelling post neutering
« on: November 14, 2007, 01:12:38 am »
Ok Guys....haven't visited this site for a while...been very busy with human emergencies.  Anyway,  a couple of weeks ago I have both my make and female Kuvasz "fixed".  My girl did awesome.  However, my big boy didn't fair so well.  Before we even left the vets office his scrotum was swollen to the size of a small mellon.  I kept him quiet...he didn't even did at stitches.  He is such a good boy.  But, NOW, he is dripping blood and serum and licking.  I have put the ECollar back on him, but now his back end is filthy and matted due to drainage.  Vet said this could take even a month more.  Question....ha ve any of you had a male go through this?  He is such a patient boy, but I can tell he is miserable.  I will now have to go to the groomer...frie nd of mine... tomorrow to help me get this area cleaned up and shaved to help keep it clean.  I realize that drainage is good...healing from the inside out, but this should have been a simple snip job......poooo ooor Mikey!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Offline queenkofsnow

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Scrotal swelling post neutering
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 01:19:09 am »
PS..please forgive typos....just got off midnights at the hosptital. 

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 08:54:34 am »
I would also call the vet asap.  To me, that doesn't sound like normal swelling or healing, that sounds more like an infection!  :(  :-\   Also, if your vet still says that it sounds normal, I would suggest that you get another opinion.  In September we would've lost one of our kitties to liver failure if we'd just stuck with one vet's opinion.  Fortunately, there was a different vet on call the weekend that our cat got really sick and that second vet got it right.  Please let us know how poor Mikey is doing.   :(  :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline queenkofsnow

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Scrotal swelling post neutering...patience pays off
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 11:20:03 am »
Well....had to let you know how Mikey is doing with his "problem."  Things were looking pretty grim for him....drainin g sticky stuff making a mess of his fur and making it stick to everything and pulling and hurting.  I decided to go with my own instincts.  I realized that it did have to drain, but, why should he be miserable.  When he was in my presence I took the Ecollar off and let him clean himself up....didn't let him get to the area of draining, but let him clean up the sticky areas...he seemed to be happy with that.  After a couple of days like that....I would have to collar him at night and when I couldn't be right with him...things really look good.  Everything is back to a nice pink healthy tissue...he is comfortable and contented.  There is still some minimal drainage, but the swelling has gone way down....now it is about the size it was before neutering....a nd they were really large then...the vet said she was surprised to find testicles that large in a dog of his young age....funny.  So....looks like things are taking care of themself...as God intented.  Let nature take it's course and it usually does a good job.  Thanks so much for caring....mary

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 11:31:10 am »
I am so happy so hear that he is doing better!!! I was pretty scared after you first post  :-\ Gosh, such a simple procedure shouldn't make all that  ???

"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 09:53:10 am »
Great that your dog is doing better.  I also agree that what you described does not sound normal.  The only time I ever saw a reaction that severe was with a dog who got neutered right after the sterilizing machine at the Vet's. blew a seal and they unknowingly used contaminated tools.  They had to go back in, clean, disinfect, and stitch him back up.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 10:57:50 am »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o
I just went though this with Bryce i had the whole sac removed so water would'nt leak into the sac later on. He was such a good boy after the 3rd day i took the e collar off he was crashing into walls and scaring the other animals. I could'nt stand it when i was with him i took it off and when i was'nt home i put the collar on him. He was very good about licking and i take him back on Wed for his follow up! Happy Thanksgiving to all! Marina-Freya-Milo-Bryce and Mab the cat
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats