Author Topic: I need some advise please - Sorry kinda long  (Read 3420 times)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
I need some advise please - Sorry kinda long
« on: November 12, 2007, 06:09:29 am »
Okay, here's the scoop, and this is really embarrasing for our family but.  My sister has a drug problem.  It's been going on for some years now, and since she's been diagnosed with Crones Disease and Interstitial Cistitus (sp?) it's gotten worse.  She was in an abusive relationship, that I had thought she had gotten out of, and now it seems she's right back there again.  The person that she's with does drugs, and goes so far as to physically and verbally abuse my sister.  None of this she knows that I know, I only know from hearsay.  My sister is addicted to Ketamine, Cocaine, and I don't know what else.  She completely denies it, but we've found Vials (used for containing and transporting powdered drugs) in her car, her room, her purse, etc.  Everytime we confront her about it she goes into this "Everybody hates me, I'm holding on to them for a friend, why can't you guys just trust me" rant, and makes my mom feel guilty for even going through her things in the first place.  Well My sister went out the other night, and hasn't been home yet, but she forgot her cell phone here.  I went though it, I know I shouldn't have, but I'm really worried about her, and I really do just want to help her.  Anyways, I went through the text messages and there were messages to and from people regarding the buying and selling of Cocaine, Ketamine, and "pills" I don't know if these are like Extacy pills or maybe black market pain killers.  Also messages about the changing hands of large amounts of money.  So I took a list of all the names and numbers that were regarding drugs and I called Crime Stoppers and gave them the names and numbers and what drugs I thought they were involved in dealing in.  I need to know if I did the right thing.  I really just want to help her, but she refuses to admit that she has a problem.  Oh and I should probably also mentin that her docter is no longer perscribing pain meds to her because her last tox screen came back positive for Cocaine, which she said she only did like once and that was 6 months ago (Which is not possible, because cocaine only stays in your system for a max of 72 hours and that's if you do ALOT of it.). 

What should I be doing right now, I'm having a difficult time making dicisions, my mother can't do it, she is so stressed out I think she may have a heart attact or stroke any day now.  I know that I really shouldn't be discussing this with anyone else, but I guess who better to tlak to than people I've never met before, who've only ever offered supportive advise before.  I really need some help with this though, it's taken over our families lives, my mom can't concentrate at work, I'm having difficulties concentrating at school, and my sister just keeps going to parties, and spending money, and I just don't know what else.  It's a horrible feeling to not trust your own sister, I have to keep my car locked at night, and my room locked during the day, I can't leave her alone with the dogs because I know that she can't be trusted with them.
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: I need some advise please - Sorry kinda long
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 07:27:58 am »
Sorry, I can't help...our family went through the same h*ll with my little sister. We couldn't help her and she is in prison now  :'(
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 07:33:30 am »
Yeah, Tina is right. You and your mom should get counseling. YOu can't make your sister change, but you can help yourselves deal with it.

I wish I had better advice. I've had family members with addiction, but none I ever lived with. Its hard, I know.

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 08:18:39 am »
Thank you for all your positive thoughts, and advise.  This is a really difficult thing to deal with, and unfortunately, I really have noone to talk to about it.  I hate to say this but this is a sore spot for our family, and my mum really doesn't want anyone to know, or to judge us.  We will be goingto a counselor (my mother and I).  I'm just really worried that with all the pain that she's in, without some way to relieve it, she might do something that I'm gonna regret.  Narcotics are not the way I want her dealing with her pain, and they are what got her into this pickle in the first place not being able to get pain meds from our family docter.  But that's what I'm afraid is going to end up killing her.  I hate it.  she's only 20 years old.  Anyways, thanks again for your positive thoughts.  We're going to try to convince her to go to a rehabilitation center, and maybe change family docters to someone who will be alittle more understanding.  I hope that my contacting the authorities with her druggie friends' names and phone numbers doesn't come back to her.  I'm grasping at straws here to try to help her, I'm tiered of watching her go about her ways and standing by and saying nothing, I want to beat it into her that she's hurting herself and her family, but people (our mother, different docters) keep telling me that that will only make it worse.  Sorry for rambling again.  I gotta go get ready for school.  Peace.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 09:06:41 am »
I am so sorry that you are going through this.  :'(  As I was reading this thread Al-Anon was also what went through my head.  Their support & advice right now could really help you through these hard decisions.  I think that counseling is also a very good idea.  Your sister is very blessed to have such a loving family.   You will all be in my prayers.  ((hugs))

Oh & BTW regarding your concerns about your mom's health during this stressful time?  You may want to contact her doctor's office and tell the nurse what is going on.  I've had to do that with my parents' regarding their health issues before.  Usually then the dr's office will contact your parents and ask them to come in for a check up, follow-up, etc. type appt and then address the health issues.  Your mom may need meds to lower her blood pressure, anti-anxiety meds or something to help keep her healthy while you both help your sister.  :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline jagersmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 11:37:31 am »
Hey there,

I work in law enforcement in Florida and asking a couple of my friends from work, they said you did a great thing. They actually just rounded up about 300 dealers and users from three sections of our county on over 600 charges. Most of the dealers are looking at at least 5.5 years in prison.

Sorry if this seems a little cold, I'm not meaning it to be. :-* I've gone through the same thing with a few extended family members and friends in high school. 3 of them were addicts by senior year. 1 thought she was still beautiful until we showed her side by side pics of what was happening to her. Maybe showing your sister the physical effects will help. Most pretty girls, don't want to be ugly.

This chick is a good example of what can happen from going to the wrong places for drugs. Yes that is a bullet wound in her cheek and her lips are burnt from smoking crack.

This chick is pretty nice looking, until she started doing drugs.

I'm glad that you and your mom are able to go to a counselor. The people doing drugs don't realize how much they really are hurting the ones they love. There is a tv show I heard about and watched a marathon on called INTERVENTION. ( http://www.aetv.com/intervention/ ) They might be able to help since their in the US and Canada.

You and your family will be in my prayers  :'( :-*
Dogs laugh.... by wagging their tails

Annette, mother to:

Jagermeister - Bullmastiff
Bacardi - DSH terror cat

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 06:46:05 am »
Thanks again for your kind and supportive words guys.  It means alot that there is so much support here even for issues as crappy as this one.

Annette.  I've actaully been thinking of contacting the people from Intervention.  Just haven't built up the cahones yet.  lol
My mom's been watching alot of it on the internet, and they do seem to do good work.  But we don't know if they'd be able to help us.  After all you can't help someone who denies having a problem.
Also those pictures are really scarey, I'd hate to think of my pretty little sister winding up looking like that someday.  If she were'nt sick she could've been a model.

I get to call Crime Stoppers in a few days to see if they've made any arrests though, I'm kinda excited about that one.  I really wouldn't mind hearing about any of her scuzzy friends being put behind bars.  ;)  Wish me luck with that one!

Offline jagersmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 10:01:22 pm »

I get to call Crime Stoppers in a few days to see if they've made any arrests though, I'm kinda excited about that one.  I really wouldn't mind hearing about any of her scuzzy friends being put behind bars.  ;)  Wish me luck with that one!

Always makes you feel good about getting "one more" off the street.

Your right though: we are all here for you to help support you. Hopefully she'll get help soon.
Dogs laugh.... by wagging their tails

Annette, mother to:

Jagermeister - Bullmastiff
Bacardi - DSH terror cat