Author Topic: BSL  (Read 6909 times)

Offline KJUNMAMI

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Justice baby
    • View Profile
BSL
« on: July 21, 2007, 06:19:16 am »
I have heard that Florida passed a law that states no more cities or counties can ban specific breeds anymore. Supposedly they can only make laws stating against aggressive dogs. I know Dade county has a ban >:( and it was grandfathered in if this is true. Does anyone know if this is true or how i can find out? I have a pitbull and am just wondering if one day I might have to move because of a ban.  :'(Thanks in advance for your help.   ;D
Mommy to
one baby girl 1 yr and one boy 3 yrs
pitbull Justice-70 lbs. @ 10 mos.
2 kitties Thelma and Louise 1 year.

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: BSL
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 04:19:21 pm »
I don't know if it is true or not but here in Ontario we do have a pit bull ban, the dogs that already resided in Ontario are not part of the ban. (You wouldn't have to move) Unfortunately when the ban hit many people did not understand this and gave there dogs up to shelters.

Offline KJUNMAMI

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Justice baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 08:55:09 pm »
I don't know if it is true or not but here in Ontario we do have a pit bull ban, the dogs that already resided in Ontario are not part of the ban. (You wouldn't have to move) Unfortunately when the ban hit many people did not understand this and gave there dogs up to shelters.

Really the dogs were granfathered in? Well unfortunatly her in the US when I have heard of a dog ban they have rounded up the dogs and put them to sleep if the owner didn't get them out within days. Its very sad! Hey isn't your pup a "Pitbull Type"? Does the ban there only apply to true pitbulls?
Mommy to

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 05:59:42 pm »
The ban applies to Pit Bull types and Staffs. Fortunately most people don't actually know what those dogs look like and assume that any dog with a blocky head is a Pit. No, Phelan is a Bullmastiff and doesn't fit into the Pit Bull "type" although you wouldn't believe how many ignorant conversations I've had to have about it. The brindle doesn't help. I don't know what kind of dogs are going to fall under the Ban in your area but just make up some rare breed and stick with it. Rely on the ignorance of others in this situation.
There is a website linked somewhere in another post where the goal is to determine which dog is the Pit....perhaps someone can link it for you. It's very interesting.

Offline KJUNMAMI

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Justice baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 08:42:13 am »
Ive seen those sights and I know that there is about 20 breeds that resemble pit Bulls. It is sad because I have heard of other breeds being taken because they fall into a pit bull type catagory. Here your breed would fall into it. Its a sad reality we face today and i hope that we are able to keep up the good fight!! ;D
Mommy to

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 04:21:44 pm »
In shelters, it is usually someone who has no clue what the dog is or even how to decide.  They look at the color, and make a determination.  It is funny, when we have pet fairs that the local county shelter organizes, they have never been able to tell me what my dogs are.  Even the director didn't know what any of my three were.  The TM I can understand, but a wolfhound or pyr should have been relatively easy for a person in her position.  Luckily, here they usualy call 95% of the dogs lab mixes.  My son adopted 2 pupppies 5 years from the local shelter and because they were called lab mixes and he has it on his adoption papers, he is still able to get reasonably priced homeowners insurance.  In reality, his dogs, brothers, are obviously some type of bulldog or staff mix.  They are great dogs, protective but very gentle with his sons.  He travels a lot with his job, so his wife is home with the boys alone, sometimes for a week or more at a time.  The dogs give her a real sense of security.
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 09:08:58 pm »
I know of "lab crosses"  ;) ;) that have become seeing eye dogs...depend on the ignorance of others in this scenario. Phelan is often mistaken for a boxer (or american boxer??), if Ontario were to ban Bullmastiffs I would soon be the proud owner of a big boxer ;D

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 06:01:06 am »
Here in the US, it depends on the ban whether or not the dogs would be granfathered in.  In most cases, unfortunately they are not, and are given a certain amount of time (usually 6mo or so) to rehome or give up their dogs.

The state of MN is considering a law banning chows, akitas, pit bulls, rottweilers (or dobermans, one of the two) and wolf hybrids.  It is up for vote beginning of the year.  I am very disappointed in this as I would like to move back here someday, but will not if this ban goes into effect. 

I am most surprised by the wolf hybrid.  There is no way of knowing (w/o a blood test and you know the state's not going to pay for that) if a wolf is a hybrid or not unless someone specifically says theirs is.  Any husky/mal cross could be considered a wolf hybrid unless you know both sides of the parentage.  I have a husky/shep mix and although I am 99% sure she has no wolf, I have had a number of people ask me throughout the years if she was. And since I do not know the father's parentage (we guess shepherd b/c that is what coloring the puppies came out as......my friend adopted a pregnant dog) I would not be able to contest one way or another that she has no wolf in her.

It frightens me to think people could have their dogs taken away by unknowledgeabl e people who don't know or have all the facts, and in some cases, don't care.

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 07:12:19 am »
My understanding is that it is their (AC/HS) burden to prove that your dog fits under the BSL. I remember a story in which the opinion of a vet was not enough to prove the breed of a confiscated dog. Also in Ontario you do not have to identify yourself or your animal to By-law enforcement.