Author Topic: Did you know?  (Read 2773 times)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Did you know?
« on: November 20, 2007, 08:49:19 pm »
that antibiotics should not be given with milk products?

I always gave it to Lily with yougurt, cheese or cottage cheese. I just found this info and called my vet to ask if it's true. She said that there were no studies done for dogs (due to money issue) but for humans IT IS. Therefore she recommended to change my way of feeding it to her.

Here is the article:

antibiotics should not be taken within at least 2 hours before or after (more with some specific antibiotics) ingesting foods that have high amounts of the metal cations calcium, aluminum, magnesium, iron, and or zinc. this would include dairy products high in calcium, multivitamins, magnesium, aluminum, and or calcium based antacids, and certain nutritional supplements... a chemical reaction (chelation) occurs in the gastrointestin al tract and the antibiotic can not be absorbed into the blood stream, which is necessary for it to work. the tetracyclines (tetracycline, minocycline, and doxycycline), and the fluoroquinolon es (Cipro/ciprofloxacin, Levaquin/levofloxacin, Avelox/moxifloxacin, ofloxacin, and norfloxacin) show the most interactions. some studies have shown the macrolides erythromycin and Zithromax/azithromycin to interact with the metal ions but it is most likely not significant and the other macrolide Biaxin/clarithromycin can be taken with or without any foods.

Have you heard of it before?
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)