Author Topic: Shih Tzu or Lhasa Apso?  (Read 9676 times)

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Shih Tzu or Lhasa Apso?
« on: November 22, 2007, 03:50:17 am »
Ok, so we have this beautiful little house guest for the Holidays. He is an un-altered male (who pees on everything!). He is mostly white, with a black head and grey-ish black patches on his body. He makes the funniest little snorting sounds and kicks his back feet when he's excited. My step-dad saw him out by our front gate almost a week ago, but couldn't catch him. I was working Sky in the front yard, when he came trotting up. He was absolutely FILTHY, but I didn't want to offend anyone by bathing him if he was only going to go home an hour later. He's been here since yesterday afternoon, and today we went and put up signs, and took a little side trip to the dog park. So I guess I'm mostly just curious what breed he is! I really don't know much about small dogs, but I think he is either a Lhasa or a Shih Tzu. Someone at the dog park said maybe Japanese Chin, but i'm doubtful. I just took a couple crappy pictures, but i'm not sure if my computer will let me load them.
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Shih Tzu or Lhasa Apso?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 03:54:11 am »
Oh, I forgot to mention that I am calling him Kennedy. I'm sorry if this is too heavily stating our political views, but I had to share. The second I walked in the door with him in my arms my step-dad said "I'd sooner let a Kennedy in this house than that little ankle biter!". I kinda liked the name a long time ago, but I looked up what it meant in Gaelic and it said "Ugly/Helmet Head" which TOTALLY fits this little dog. LOL!
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 03:56:31 am »
This is kinda turning into a conversation with myself, but I had to add! He has rear dew claws.  ???
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 04:38:44 am »
A Shih Tzu would likely have a shorter muzzle and larger, rounder eyes than a Lhasa Apso.  Did he clean up nice?
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 05:46:27 am »
Thanks! I looked at the AKC website, and if you go by the standards, he is much closer to a Shih Tzu than a Lhasa. I also google imaged Shih Tzu's, and most of what came up (the clipped ones anyway) look VERY similar to Kennedy.
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 06:03:19 am »
Shih tsu and shih tsu mixes are much more commen than lhasa's so that would be my guess, but weird that it has rear dewclaws.  Could be a mix of some sort.

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 08:26:54 am »
Tina, that is WEIRD! All the more reason to call him Kennedy, I guess! My mom is sooo mad that he responds to it already. She seems to have convinced herself he's not staying.  ;)

I think he may be a Shih Tzu mix, but Lhasas are very, VERY common here, so i'm not sure. Whatever he is, I am smitten!
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 08:47:45 pm »
My little buddy went home last night.  :'(

The lady called and gave a good ID, so I told her to come on over and get him. At first sight she said "I haven't seen him this clean in months!" which totally took me by surprise, because although I had given him a bath, he had just rolled in the dirt and was all dusty. But what really got me ticked was that she said this to me: "I felt really bad when I found out he was gone. I didn't realize he was gone until the the next day" What kind of person doesn't realize that their dog is missing? He is not a super quiet, low key dog. He makes himself known if you let him. I found him at about 3:00 Wednesday afternoon, and she said they realized he was gone at about noon Thursday. That is 21 hours before they noticed! Unbelievable!
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 05:30:10 am »
That is horrible they didn't notice he was missing for so long.  Which makes me think he lives outside, he would almost have to or they certainly should have noticed.

I wonder why they even wanted him back?
If you happen to find him again, I'd consider not notifying them.

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 09:04:22 am »
I know, I think he probably did live outside. He smelled like poo. And I could tell by his poo (not that I was looking  ::)) that he ate VERY low quality food. The poor little guy was so sweet, and my mom was actually considering letting me keep him. I felt bad for teaching someone else's dog things, but he caught on to flyball in a heartbeat. He loved the ball, would tug and tug, and he knew the "jump" command in less than 10 minutes. He also learned to touch a stick with his nose.  ;D He was so eager to learn and play that I really didn't want to send him back to his life of sitting in a backyard waiting for someone to love him.  :-[ Plus, my team could really use a height dog!  ;)
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007