Author Topic: Help......please:(  (Read 3069 times)

Offline lily

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Help......please:(
« on: November 23, 2007, 03:09:39 am »
I want my dog's life. i have the two best girls in the world.  But wed. my 6yr old berner sent me to the e.r. for stitches in my face.  The bite was completely out of the blue and unprevoked.... ..i was giving her kisses--like i usually do.  Then yesterday she bite my husband when he was trying to let our golden eat and she wanted the food.  This is out of the blue for us.  She has been our little lover.  (And still is......but now i would be lying if i said i wasn't a bit scarred o getting to close to her.  Our vet has advised putting her down.  This is al so devastating for us.  We can't imagine our world without her.  We don't know what to do.  Has she snapped?  I can't even believe this is advice we are seeking. Please help.....any feedback is welcome.

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Help......please:(
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 03:29:33 am »
I'm so sorry that you are having to deal with this. I also thought of making sure your dog doesn't have anything medical going on, if she is in pain for some reason that could account for the sudden and aggressive behavior. I would rule out anything physical before making your decision.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 04:37:50 am »
First of all, welcome to BPO. I am sorry that it was such sad circumstances that brought you here.

Sudden aggression is usually caused by a medical condition like others have mentioned. Before putting her down, you should give her a full work-up. It might be that she has something as simple as an infection that you can treat and then the aggression will go away when the pain is gone. It might also be something that's not so simple (i.e. a brain tumor).  You really don't know what can be done about the aggression unless you know the cause. My saint bernard has neurological issues (the neurologist thinks its a brain tumor) and she has sudden un-provoked boughts of aggession at night now but still has never bit anyone. There really isn't anything we can do except give her the best quality of life possible.
RIP former BPO

Offline hairprincessnyu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 08:08:32 am »
I'm sorry you are going through this.  It could be that it is medically related.  I'm surprised your vet recommended putting her down before running some health tests.  There are many health conditions that could cause her to become aggressive.  Often times medication fixes the problem and the dog can remain in the home alive.

There are a few people on the board that can chime in with information, such as what health problems cause the aggression.  But before you put the dog down, please take her to the vet for some blood tests.  If your vet only wants to put the dog to sleep, please get a second opinion.

I agree.
True love is being gone all day, and coming home to a dog who licks your face.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 09:10:19 am »
Welcome to BPO.
IMO...Your vet should have suggested a full medical exam, including a thyroid profile and a full blood screen before suggesting euthansia. Shes a 6yo BMD so its very possible something is going wrong in her body.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 09:11:08 am by VdogLover »