Author Topic: BC Puppy, Question about No Bite  (Read 4285 times)

Offline Neicy

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
BC Puppy, Question about No Bite
« on: November 26, 2007, 03:56:08 pm »
Lucy is doing very well. She is almost 12 weeks now. She is really smart and learns things very quickly.

I am wondering your version of the no bite command.

I was taught way back 12 years ago when we got our old dog that if he put his teeth on you you immediately grab the nose and close it and say "no bite" sternly. This worked great with him. He is a Dane/Lab cross and to this day has never growled at us.

Now Lucy on the other hand has decided she is faster then the kids and will continue to play bite when they tell her no. Part of this is establishing the alpha, they just dont have it with her yet.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is there a better way with BC to get their attention and help them focus on the positive part of play?

We redirect with a toy which helps, sometimes she just gets into one of her bursts of running play and jumps up and nips. Its just play but if she were full grown this could cause a slight problem and we want to nip this in the bud so to speak :)

Offline Ken

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: BC Puppy, Question about No Bite
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 05:37:03 am »
One of the books I purchased on BCs said to growl loud and deeply like the dogs mother would. It worked for our dog. Give it a try.

Ken