Author Topic: I need Help  (Read 6166 times)

Offline Lesli310

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
I need Help
« on: July 27, 2005, 11:11:22 am »
hello, everyone! I'm new to the group I just joined yester day. Well today I get a call from a old friend to let me know that she wants to get rid of her dog. She is a female St. Bernard and she may be pregnant by a Newfoundland. I have three Great Danes and A Lab I cant take this dog but I cant let her put her in a shelter. Does anyone know someone who wants a female St or some St/Newfie pups? Khalua is about 2 maybe 3 she is housebroken and good with other dogs and kids. She's a little on the skinny side but shes a great dog. PLEASE help.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: I need Help
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 11:28:19 am »
Where are you located?  I think everyone here would want fuzzy wuzzy puppies.....

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Lesli310

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 11:30:19 am »
I live in Petersburg, VA

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 11:33:05 am »
What is her personality like? Housebroken? Good with other animals? Children?

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 11:35:47 am »
I would take her in but, I can't take her as I live in another country but, what I would suggest is to contact St Bernard rescue organizations, that way you know she will be safe until a home can be found for her and the pups, she would likely be in a foster home, instead of a cage like in other shelters.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Lesli310

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 11:39:41 am »
She is good with kids right now she is with a 5 year old little girl and they have like 6 other dogs big and small. When I had her I have my Dane and two Labs. I never wanted a St. but the people who had her at first weren't feeding her so I asked them if i could have her and they gave her to me. That was last year areound this time I gave her to Bonita in Dec. and now her 18y/o son was in an accident and he cant walk so they are getting rid of some of the dogs. The only problenm I had with her was that she broke her crate and she can open a fence in not locked. She is housebroken.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 11:39:48 am »
HMM are you going to start your own rescue organization doghealer???LOL ;D

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline Lesli310

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005, 11:42:14 am »
I talked to the St rescue around here last year in Dec. and they said that they would take her and they set up a day to come get her then I waied and they never came when I called at first I couldnt get through then when I finally did they said that they couldnt take her I called twice today so far I havent heard anything

Offline Lesli310

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 11:44:10 am »
at one point I thought that I was a would takin in stays and feed them and fatten them up, get them fixed and give them away but now I have too many bog dogs so I cant but I will not let her go to the shelter. In Petersburg where I live they give them three days then they kill them.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 11:46:19 am »
I would also try surrounding states. Some are willing to take them in. I'll see if I can get you some email lists.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline Lesli310

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 11:49:39 am »
thank you for you help but I have to go now to get ready for work I'll be back on tonight after 12 most of you will probably be in the bed but I'll read all you comments and if you know someone that wants her let me know feel free to email me I check my mail EVERYDAY! sorry about the typo's but I was supposed to be ready to go by now

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 02:22:48 pm »
Good luck and I hope you are able to place the dog soon. Pregnant with Newf pups huh? Those are going to be some cute puppies!!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 02:51:58 pm »
Lesli,

Please e-mail me.

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2005, 03:11:47 pm »
Lesli, I am in NC, so not far from you either. We just lost a dog Buffy, so we are one dog short if you can call it that still having three. I doubt my hubby would let me bring in a pregnant girl. I am already trying to make him let me keep the 5 cats I foster right now. But since we are quite close, I will do what I can, I will post around and talk to people. I am working in rescue, but unfortunately both cat and dog rescues are strained to max this time of year, that is the reason I am keeping the mama cat and the 4 kittens I found here at my house, no rescue group has any foster space. And the shelter well that is out of the question, a lot of them are like you describe, three or maybe five days and then into the gas chamber.

I will hear around and hopefully come up with some kind of help

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Lesli310

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005, 10:38:30 am »
Here's the whole story on Kahula I think that she is about two maybe three. I was at a clients house one day and we started talking about dogs, then they told me about their neighbor that had this ST. Bernard that they weren't taking care of. I went over to the next door neighbors house after I got off and asked them if they'd sell her...well they gave her to me. When I got her home I cleaned her up and took her to the vet. She was eighty something pounds and very matted. She was up to date on all her shots but not fixed. She also had a slight limp. I called and asked what happened to her leg and was told that when she was a pup she jumped off the back of a pick up truck and broke her leg. I kept her for about two months and got her up to 100 pounds and went through one heat at the time I only had a part time job and could not afford to have her fixed. She did not get pregnant and I thought that I had found someone who wanted her and in December they came and got her only after the St. rescue here wouldn't take her. They agreed to get her fixed and keep her gaining weight. Well I got a call a couple of nights ago and they said that they cant keep her anymore and asked me if I'd take her back or they'd have to take her to the pound. Then they told me that they never got her fixed and that she might be pregnant by their Newfoundland. Now this dog has had a hard life and I really don't want to see her in a pound and put to sleep. I never really wanted a St. Bernard but I thought that i could give her a better life then the one she had. Now I want to find her a nice home maybe with a little girl to play with since she sleeps with one now. Bonita told me that the little girl dresses her up and puts makeup on her and the dog. I haven't seen her since January and then she was losing weight but she has picked some of it back up and I'm not sure where she is now. She is housebroken and I believe that she is still up to date on her shots, She is not crate trained and will not stay in one, she broke mine. I don't know what else to tell you if you have any more questions feel free to call (804) 712-3378 I work from 3pm to 11pm call anytime before or after I usually don't go to bed until 1am or 2 am.