Author Topic: Backwards sneeze?  (Read 2473 times)

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Backwards sneeze?
« on: November 27, 2007, 06:27:30 am »
Has anyone ever heard a backwards sneeze? Is this common? Isis had that happen this morning and I called the emergency dog hospital and made them listen to her on the phone. I thought she was dying.  :'( It scared me so much!!! She sounded like she couldn't get any air and she was going to throw up, or something, but she never did.

I was just curious if that was a common thing.
Blessings! :)
Amy Lynn

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Backwards sneeze?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 04:55:34 pm »
What you are describing sounds like something that my Tibetan Mastiff does maybe twice a week or so.  It sounds horrible and scares me when he does it.  It sounds and kind of looks like he can't breathe, sort of wheezing, then this horrible noise.  He holds his head very still and then kind of jerks it when he makes the noise.  I have talked to our vet about it and he found nothing wrong with Cody. 
Kathy 
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 09:26:35 pm »
The trachea issue is fairly common in small dogs, especially short-nosed breeds like the Shih Tzu.  Our Shih Tzu, Timmy, has to have his tongue pulled forward to pop his collapsing trachea back into place. 

The Chihuahua, Sparky, has it happen with a sudden change in temperature so he has to be moved from his heated crate to a colder room for several minutes before he can go outside.  My Chi/Doxie had it happen every time she was sedated.

It is very scary the first few times it happens.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 11:32:26 pm »
Decker does it too...although he has outgrown the worst of it.

I know what you mean...it sounds like hes going to hork (is that a word) himself inside out!!!

What I found is you pinch the sides of their nose, so it forces them to take a breath through the mouth and it will usually stop it.
When the last fish has been caught and the last tree has been cut down...Only then will man realize that he cannot eat money.