Author Topic: dry, cracked nose  (Read 5081 times)

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
dry, cracked nose
« on: November 22, 2007, 09:42:49 pm »
Jenny has had a dry and cracked nose since we got her and I swear I think it's been getting better--her nose is much more black, moist, and not cracked, except for nearest her face. I have an appointment with the vet for a check, but thought I'd ask here--is it possible that the condition of her nose could have been from poor nutrition? and now that she is receiving high quality food her nose is getting better?
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: dry, cracked nose
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 09:47:29 pm »
I wouldn't think that it's from nutrition, but you never know. Poor Jack had some problems with his nose and Tina got some great advice. Here is the thread

http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,20366.0.html

I hope Jenny will get her nose situated  :-*
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 10:19:56 pm »
I'll try some vitamin E cream and see if that helps the remainder of the dryness. She doesn't have the other symptoms and it isn't nearly as dramatic as the other nose issues, so I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks!
Jennifer

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 11:48:58 pm »
If you noticed any other physical symptoms of her lack of good nutrition, then yes I would say that her dry cracked nose could have been caused by her lack of good food.  I know a dogs skin, muscle mass and general physical condition can be improved dramatically by replacing a poor diet with one rich in nutrients.  Keep up the good work.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 03:36:43 am »
If you noticed any other physical symptoms of her lack of good nutrition, then yes I would say that her dry cracked nose could have been caused by her lack of good food.  I know a dogs skin, muscle mass and general physical condition can be improved dramatically by replacing a poor diet with one rich in nutrients.  Keep up the good work.
Kathy

She was in a shelter (I don't know before that) and then rescue for over 6 months and when she came into rescue was very, very underweight. She had had a litter of puppies and had an infection as well. This is what is making me wonder about poor nutrition being the culprit.  Since I adopted her, her coat is becoming more glossy, she has more energy, and is about 10-15 pounds heavier than when she went into rescue. It's great seeing her transform into such a happy, healthy, family dog.  ;D
Jennifer

~Robert Lewis Steven