Author Topic: Fumble got the big "snip snip"  (Read 8032 times)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Fumble got the big "snip snip"
« on: December 01, 2007, 12:35:19 am »
Hi everyone!  i just thought i'd give you all an update.  Fumble went in for his neuter/gastropexy yesterday.  i didn't know if they would keep him or not, but i was a nervous wreck... mostly because i didn't know what to expect.  i knew it was an incisional gastropexy and not the laproscopic, but i just didn'tknow and was nervous.. soo... i raked the entire yard (filled up 17 bags of leaves!)  ... lol only for it to be windy today and blow the leaves back in the yard.  buuut... the vet called yesterday and said that fumble did great and that he was awake and that "he really loved " fumble.  he said they would keep him overnight jsut to monitor and we could pick him up after 9 this morning.  so at 9 i called and we went down to get him.  the vet on duty said that he had a little staph infection in his "scrotum" area, so he's back on benadryl.  but the poor guy, he's all shaved on his belly and bum.. and he can't seem to get comfortable and he's crying a lot :(  I feel so bad for him.  the vet gave us a pain killer to give him every 6 hours if it's bad.. but the poor guy just seems to glum :(  I know that it's just the first 24 hours and that it's going to be better by tomorrow, but its just so hard listening to him cry.  i was supposed to go to a holiday party tonight, but i wouldn't want to leave him at home alone, i'd be nervous about it the the whole time i was there and i wouldn't have any fun... so it's gonna be us with fumbs curled up watching lifetime and hallmark holiday movies.  I just wanted to give you all an update on the gastropexy and neuter! 
But stacy and i got all of the BPO holiday cards stamped and are going to put them out Monday!  and all we have to do is get a box for the Secret Santa gift too! :) so that's good!!! 
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

DenverFurKiddos

Re: Fumble got the big "snip snip"
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 01:06:06 am »
POOR LITTLE GUY!  Ugh, that has to be so hard for you.  Winston had a bit of a hard time too and whimpered a lot.  I remember the vet allowing us to put a frozen bag of peas "down there" to help with the pain.  If I remember right, you're not supposed to keep the ice on for more than 10 minutes at a time.  It seems that more would be better....but there's some logical reason (which is escaping me at the moment)why that's not a good idea. Hope he feels better soon!

Keep us updated!!!

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 06:35:15 am »
Poor Fumble.  Big hugs and good thoughts that the painkiller kicks in soon so he can get some sleep tonight.  Shiner was already neutered when I got him so I don't have any good ideas on how to help with the soreness. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline ratdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 11:54:05 am »
Hi there. My heart goes out to Fumble and to you. I know how hard it is to see your "little one" in pain. I hope he gets to feeling better real soon.

Terri
Best friends forever:
Tal, my cat, 1990-2007
Ratdog, my dog, 1992-2004

My new love:
Cody

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 02:22:34 pm »
Oh, Poor Fumble!!! My heart is breaking for him and also for you.  :'( I'm so sorry he is in pain. I will be praying for a quick recovery for him.

I am so sorry if I missed this, but what exactly is a Gastroplexy? Is that the surgery to prevent bloat? Please forgive my ignorance. :(

Sending you and Fumbs BIG hugs!!!
Blessings!
Amy Lynn
Blessings! :)
Amy Lynn

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 05:41:31 pm »
Oh poor Fumbs!!!! I hope he has a quick recovery though I'm sure he'll be milking this for as long as possible as he is your 'little' drama king  ;).
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 06:00:12 pm »
I'm sending thoughts for a speedy recovery soon!  :-*
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 08:39:40 pm »
Don't know how I missed this one.  But I sure do hope Fumbles is feeling better now that a few days have passed.  Give him a big ole' kiss on his nose for me!   :-*

Oh and the reason you can't leave ice on for more then 10 minutes is that it can kill the nerves if left on any longer, especially in sensitive areas like that.   ;)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 12:17:54 am »
Oh Fumble Bryce feels for you! I hope he heals quickly that is the part that got to me When Bryce was crying. I felt helpless. And the e collar was the part that got me. Does he have to wear one? Take care fumble! Bryce and Marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 12:34:01 am »
oh sweet Fumble.  you're gonna start hating that vet.  One more trip there and you'll have to put your paw down and say NO MORE!!!! :)  you'll be ok soon pupper.  take it easy and get lots of rest, lots of love, and lots of pampering.  make your mommy bring you cheese balls and chicken dumplings on a silver plater.  make her treat you like a king. 

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 02:23:57 am »
Hey everyone!! :)  Fumble's definately getting back to himself again tonight.. definately mad because of the food cut because of the stomach surgery. he is however happy with the food that the vet gave him.  We discovered that chicken in his food flared up his allergies, but even still the vet wanted to put him on a very bland food, so now he's getting his favorite thing, CHICKEN! lol.  but he's only getting like a cup and a half 3 times a day and then i've been giving him a 2 tablespoons of boiled beef and 2 tablespoons of boiled potatoes as a snack.  Last night he cried and cried and cried.  and even had the squirts a little. we tried to put the e collar on him to go to bed and he definately didn't like that!  when we had it on him during the knee surgery he was blocked off in the porch, but he had free reign last night.  he definately hit every wall and every thing in his path!  i was suprised he didn't get whip lash.  so i took it off of him at about 10:30 and basically slept with one eye open.  i'm a light sleeper and the smallest noise can wake me up, including his licking (its kinda of one of those annoying noises to me).. i heard him at about 3 am and got up and hung out with him for a little while and then ended up putting the e collar back on.  he hit everything in his path again and woke stacy up, but finally quieted down on the porch.  we decided we wouldn't put him through it again and we made our own "no bite" collar out of plastic and foam with a pretty cover that stacy made that has boats on it (so cape cod) and it actually works great!  fumble still has his peripheral vision and can get around a LOT easier.  But on the whole he seems much more himself! which is a relief from yesterday. hopefully everyday will get better.  poor guy though, just looking at his belly makes me whince.  he's got a 10-12 inch incision for the gastropexy and then the stitches for the neuter... at least he's starting to get more comfy laying down now. 
thanks for all of your well wishes and concerns! :)  I'll give him an extra shake from everyone!!!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 09:17:52 am »
Awwwwww. Poor guy!! Well, I'm glad he's feeling a little better now. The fact that he wants more food is always a good sign. Wishing you quick healing and a great recovery Fumble!!!  ;D
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 09:23:08 am »
awww, Fumble-Bumble...  :D
heres wishing u a really good fast recovery. hoping you are back to your old self soon...
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Lyn

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007, 08:43:10 pm »
Awww, Poor Fumble. Bubba sends his sympathy, little does he know he's going in for the big snip after the new year. :D

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 12:21:45 am »
Bear was already snipped when we got him, but here's a big empathy hug to the Fumbs.  :-*  Hope you're better every day!

And re the party... I called out of work two days in a row when Bear started having seizures. I totally relate! :)
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)