Author Topic: Where to ski?? - NDR  (Read 3196 times)

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Where to ski?? - NDR
« on: December 02, 2007, 10:35:33 pm »
As some of you may remember I have been in the process of planning a family vacation to Arizona that I thought would satisfy everyone in my families taste - I worked long and hard and yet noone was excited so since I hadn't booked anything I have decided that maybe I should send my darling 15 year old teenage boy skiing with his father and keep my equally as charming 9 year old pre-teen with me and visit Grandma in Florida.  (Can you sense the sarcasm?)

So much for a family vacation - well anyway I have spend most of the morning on ski.com researching locations, condos, hotels etc.  I am sooo confused so here is what I am looking for:

Maybe Colorado or Utah - they have both skied Lake Placid and Vermont

A place you can ski in and out with restaurants close by so no rental car is necessary.  They are not fancy really don't care about fine dining small family places or diners are fine.

Can you suggest anyplace awesome or equally as important anyplace to stay away from?

Harley is all set to stay at the doggie spay and resort that his trainer ownes (it even has radiant heating).  So now I just have to get the rest of us taken care of..

As always thanks in advance for advise you can share!!

Randy

Nicole

Re: Where to ski?? - NDR
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 10:52:05 pm »
Well, the mountains aren't nearly as um, well, big but Northern Michigan has some charming little towns and nice ski resorts. We always go to Boyne. They have a lovely resort with nice runs.

Only problem is with Michigan, you never really know what the snow is going to be like. Its kind of iffy if trying to plan ahead.

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 02:14:33 am »
I LOVE Boyne!! One of my favorite places! Stowe Vermont is also very good, the bonus there is you can ski the adjoining mountain with your Stowe ticket so less chance of getting bored.

Offline jagersmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 04:10:06 am »
My godmother used to own a place in northern WI in a town called Haywood. The Birkebeiner races are held near there so it's pretty good skiing. Figured I'd at one to the pot.
Dogs laugh.... by wagging their tails

Annette, mother to:

Jagermeister - Bullmastiff
Bacardi - DSH terror cat

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 05:51:06 am »
Thanks everyone it is so good to get advise from actual people instead of reading reviews - one says it was great the next one says it was awful.  The review could be really finicky like my sister and nothing is every right.

So lets see - unfortunately they can't go to Banff because they can't go to Canada (Mt. Treblant would have been a good choice also).  They have skied at Stowe and Smugglers Notch in Vermont and yes Ellicotville is beautiful we live about 1 1/2 hours away and they have awesome festivals at all times of the year.

I've actually never heard of Boyne that sounded interesting since Michigan isn't to terribly far by car....except we have to go thru Canada which we can't right now (I really hope they change that passport thing - it is really cramping my style no shopping in Toronto or Ikea either).  And what about doggie play dates??  Add to the list of things to do - get passports!!

Also, never heard of skiing in West Virginia but that is good to know as darling son is considering colleges in Virginia and West Virginia but also wants to be able to ski.

I think right now we are leaning to Park City Utah, Vail or Beaver Creek.  If I were going I would definately be interested in great hotels - but for the boys no so much as long as it is clean and has a pool (either heated outdoor or indoor) then they are good. 

Thanks so much to everyone for your excellent suggestions and ideas!!

Randy & Harley

dohertyswissy

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 05:55:25 am »
Park City is WONDERFUL!!!!!  Great snow and skiing.  It'll be a blast for sure.

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 06:33:51 pm »
Big Sky or Jackson Hole in Montana are outstanding and much more economical than most destinations in CO or UT.  They hills are great and the towns rock.
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 07:34:23 pm »
I live in Garrett County, Maryland.....h ome to Deep Creek Lake and the Wisp Ski Resort and very little else, lol.  Our town is full of boating tourists in the summer and skiing tourists in the winter! 

I personally don't ski (three herniated disks won't allow it) so I don't know much about the Wisp but I know people come here from all over and they have a website....
Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 08:45:21 pm »
Since the passport issue has been resolved, I would really suggest Boyne. It has the outdoor/indoor pool you are looking for, lots of onsite accomedations(you can literally ski out of your hotel room on to the slopes). The ski school is amazing if you are wanting to brush up a bit. The have the high speed lifts which really speeds up any wait times. The restaurant is very good and gives preference to guests at certain hours so you don't have to wait, there is also a cafeteria style building if you want more of the ski lunches (Chili, burgers...).

Nicole

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 04:47:40 am »
We love Boyne. There are 2 Boynes, though, so pick carefully. There is Boyne Mountain and Boyne Highlands. One of them is very nice, and one is kinda ghetto, I can't remember which is which. Maybe Liz or Phelan's mama can help.

The other cool thing is that Northern Michigan is just charming, charming, charming! Go to Harbor Springs, Traverse City, Leelanau, etc. They're all great cities with neat shops and restaurants.

Where are you coming from that you have to drive through Canada?

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 08:09:19 am »
I've always gone to Boyne Highlands ::) Just to confuse you further :P I love it.

Nicole

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 06:59:46 pm »
Thanks ladies. I'm always confused by that.