Author Topic: the mouths have done it again  (Read 5586 times)

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
the mouths have done it again
« on: December 03, 2007, 09:24:58 pm »
Why why why...These pups have been so good. They don't chew furniture, clohthes, shoes etc. But they eat anything that looks like food. Over Thanksgiving weekend, my neighbor apparently threw the turkey bones outside, my JRT brought a big leg bone home. I took it and wrapped it in plastic and put it in the bottom of the trash. Well...someone got it out and ate it!!! I kept a close eye on them and no one got sick, thank-god. Then Thorn my 8 yr. old dane snuck a bag of candy bars!!! while we slept, he got into Kellyns school fundraiser bars. He ruined 12 bars but when I actually looked through the mess he only ate about 5-6 (the peanut butter ones) He NEVER gets into stuff (he didn't get sick from it either, not even direah)
  So my newest issue is that the girls got a bag of walnuts off the counter. They are in shell (I get them for my birds). Anyway I caught them in the act, and took them away, I put EVERYTHING in cabinets now. Well yesterday I bought another bag of nuts. I stepped outside a second, and they had them down when I came in. So in the cabinet they went. Little did I know that my husband had found and relocated a bag of Macedamia and brazil nuts. When I walked in the kitchen they were EVERYWHERE!!! Morgayne and Gracie had cracked them and eaten some of them!!! I read that mac. nuts can be toxic to dogs...can cause nerological issues, and that in a study, the problems were temporary... so I am watching closely. Gracie threw up this morning, and she had actually swallowed a whole one!!! They are playing and acting "normal" today so far, and pooping normal. I threw the mac. nuts away (and the trash got picked up today so they are gone). These 2 are going to be the death of me!!! Someone on another board suggested crating them, but I dod not have the room for a crate (or 2) that would fit 2 almost grown huge pups in. And most of these issues happen when we are here and we turn our backs for a second. I am just going to have to be more diligent in hiding anything and everything that resembles food I guess.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: the mouths have done it again
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 11:22:55 pm »
You are not alone.  Sierra is the same way.  he is the ultimate counter-surfer.  She has stopped her chewing of non-food items (with the exception of the occasional slipper - I owe a pair to my step-daughter).  She is ridiculous when it comes to food though.  The trash can is spread all over the house on a regular basis.  She has eaten whole pizzas, chicken and turkey bones, chocolate, grapes,  cupcakes, you name it she's eaten it.  I really don't understand how that dog is still alive with all the stuff she's eaten that is bad for her.

I really can't offer any advice since Sierra obviously winning this battle right now, but I can offer some empathy!!
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 02:14:07 am »
You are not alone. Sierra is the same way. he is the ultimate counter-surfer. She has stopped her chewing of non-food items (with the exception of the occasional slipper - I owe a pair to my step-daughter). She is ridiculous when it comes to food though. The trash can is spread all over the house on a regular basis. She has eaten whole pizzas, chicken and turkey bones, chocolate, grapes, cupcakes, you name it she's eaten it. I really don't understand how that dog is still alive with all the stuff she's eaten that is bad for her.

I really can't offer any advice since Sierra obviously winning this battle right now, but I can offer some empathy!!

Thank you...LOL
-Jodi
Mom to:
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup

1996-2007

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 06:32:33 am »
I feel for you.  Man I can't imagine having one dog, let alone 2 that get into that much stuff!  I have one that's the occasional dumpster diver, but usually its the bathroom garbage (unless something really yummy is on the top of the kitchen one) and its related to her separation anxiety, not that she's hungry or wants food.

I've been really lucky with gunther.  He's never even attempted to take anything off the counters, however has gotten blamed at my parents when Keiko has done it (she's alot smaller but her nose and mouth can just reach the tops.......... luckily she only steals other people's food, not mine........lo l)

If you don't have room for a kennel, is there a separate room in the house big enough to contain them while you are away?  When Gunther outgrew his kennel, we kept him in the laundry room until we could trust him in the house alone.  Maybe you could put them in a bedroom?  Or just babygate off an area if they know not to jump the gate.......... lol.

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 06:54:17 am »
baby gates don't work...and putting them in a seperate romm. LMFAO!!! Morgayne is OK, but Gracie trashed the door trying to dig through it! She has a bit of seperation anxiety too. When we are gone, we have a 40X40 fenced dog pen (with electric wiire on top) that they can stay in. There is a HUGE doghouse out there with straw in it, but when it is really cold I still don't like putting them out there. The funny thing is, when I leave for a long period of time and they are in, Gracie takes the couch, and Morgayne the dog bed and they behave. I have a routine going through and shutting all the doors so they have the Kitchen and kivingroom only to go in. I take all trash out and double check the counters. The problem is when I am home and I go to take a shower, or I go to get the mail etc. Then it's a free for all.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup

1996-2007

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 05:16:26 pm »
Me I don't leave ANYTHING on the counter  It either goes in the frig, microwave or oven for safekeeping  And my solution to the garbage can is to not put anything a dog might think edible in the can.  I put forbiddens on top of the frig and when I empty the trash I then put it in and take it outside. Any canned foods I let the dogs lick the can clean before putting it in the trash as well.

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 06:46:54 pm »
The pns might work for Morgayne...but Gracie is deaf...LMAO I went through and "puppy proofed" everything yesterday. I thik with all the crappy weather we have been having they are bored. They can only romp in the house so much. Today we have about 5 inches of snow out, I took them out for an hour and they LOVED it.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup

1996-2007

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 06:54:59 pm »
Sounds like you are just trying to keep you on your toes.Your right about the Mac nuts being potentially toxic to the dogs,thats' why I don't feed them to the birds.As far as the rest of the inshell nuts,my Vet said they aren't a problem as long as they don't eat the shell.Butt loves brazil nuts and has the birds trained to feed them too him :D Tub loves walnuts,but since he's afriad of the birds he only gets a rare one now and then from Mom.It is kinda neat to see though huge mouths crack a nut and eat it.Good luck with keeping them out of everything!!!
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie