Author Topic: Microchipping?  (Read 2870 times)

Offline ratdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Microchipping?
« on: December 05, 2007, 03:42:38 pm »
Hello all,

I'm picking up my Doberman, Cody, this Sunday and taking her to the vet Monday morning. She will be one day shy of 10 weeks old. I was wondering if anybody knew of any heath reasons why I should not have her microchipped.

Thanks in advance,  :)
Terri
Best friends forever:
Tal, my cat, 1990-2007
Ratdog, my dog, 1992-2004

My new love:
Cody

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Microchipping?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 05:11:19 pm »
IMO there are no health reasons significant enough to stop a microchipping.  The benefits outweigh the possible problems like the chip hitting a nerve, causing a blood clot or the the radio waves from the chip.  When people tell me about the dangers of radio waves, I tell them I will make the dog a foil hat.  :)
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 05:55:23 pm »
Both of my dogs are microchipped and I've never had a problem. I definitely agree that the benefits outweigh the risks.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 06:30:19 pm »
I have heard that microchipping had been linked to a cancer but I did it to my dog anyways.
I am not sure if there are any studies were done on dogs. The articles I have seen were talking about rats only. ???
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 06:30:43 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline ratdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 10:26:19 pm »
IMO there are no health reasons significant enough to stop a microchipping.  The benefits outweigh the possible problems like the chip hitting a nerve, causing a blood clot or the the radio waves from the chip.  When people tell me about the dangers of radio waves, I tell them I will make the dog a foil hat.  :)

LOLOL  I have plenty of tin foil!!!

Thank you so much everyone. I just want the best for Cody. I sure don't want to do something that is not good for her. But after reading your posts I think I will go ahead and chip her, too. I would feel better knowing that she would have that chance if the worst was to happen. And where I live, I'm concerned about theft. I will not let her out of my sight.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas everyone!  :)

Terri
Best friends forever:
Tal, my cat, 1990-2007
Ratdog, my dog, 1992-2004

My new love:
Cody