Author Topic: I am REALLY upset right now :(  (Read 4744 times)

Krista I

I am REALLY upset right now :(
« on: December 06, 2007, 02:33:36 am »
I was in the living room watching tv, my kids were in the "playroom" just one room away from me, and all of a sudden I hear a big growl come out of Timber, and my son screaming and crying!!! :o  I ran in to see what happend, and Timber BIT him in the face!! :o  I just couldn't believe it!!!!  Saint bernards are NOT suppoe to behave this way, they're suppose to be wonderfull with children :'( I asked my son what he did to Timber, and he said he was pulling on his neck.  I then asked my daughter if she saw what happend and she said "yes mommy, he was just pulling on his neck" My son is 2 1/2 years old, my daugther is 6.  What am I suppose to do now!!??!!  HELP!!   :'(  I think I might have to sell him :'(  I cannot take a chance of this happening again, it could be worse next time.  I'm so upset right now, I never ever would have thought Timber would do something like this.  It's absolutely devastating!!

Offline jagersmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: I am REALLY upset right now :(
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 02:57:23 am »
 :'( :-* I hope everything works out for you.
Dogs laugh.... by wagging their tails

Annette, mother to:

Jagermeister - Bullmastiff
Bacardi - DSH terror cat

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 03:33:50 am »
When my son was 3 my dane Thorn bit him pretty bad on the arm (no blood, but bruises and his skin was indented where the canine teeth were). I was furious and ready to kill him with my own 2 hands. I took brennon in the house, and he told me Thorn had a bone and he tried to take it and Thorn growled... and he hit him for growling....I let him go in the yard with the dog out there while I was in the kitchen cooking... I shoudl have been out there or kept him in the house, I couldn't blame Thorn for biting, and it was obviously a warning bite, or it would have been worse.
Kids in that age bracket don't understand that pulling on a sleeping dog is dangerous nor do they understand that a growl means back off. I would bet that he was warned and taht he continued to do whatever it was that the dog didn't like. Give yourself time to settle down, and only let the 2 of them together if you are there with them. See how he acts around your son whe you are there. He may have been startled or just pushed to far.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 03:34:19 am by zchic »
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 04:49:39 am »
What kind of bite was it? Was there blood?

I have to agree with Julie and Liz...the dog should NEVER be left unsupervised with children. It didn't sound that your dog attacked your son out of nowhere. Your son didn't leave Timber any privacy  :-\   
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 04:39:59 pm »
Unfortunately, accidents like this happen all too often and it is not always unsupervised children that get bitten, nor is it always the dogs fault.  My nephew was bitten in the face at 8 months of age by my brother's doberman.  He had the dog for 6 years and she was great with his son.  His wife was folding clothes in the living room and the baby was playing in the clothes in the basket.  He fell onto the dog, who was sleeping on the floor at his wife's feet.  The dog was startled, bit him and he had numerous stitches at the emergency room.  No permanent, disfiguring scars, but he does have small scars on his face and neck.  My brother killed the dog immediately.  He never took the time to think through what had happened.  The baby had slept with the dog and crawled all over her for months.  She was a fantastic, loving, protective dog, who loved her family. She was simply startled awake and reacted.  It happens and is one of the things that we have to accept as a possibility if we choose to live with dogs.  Just take a little time to think through your decision and make sure you are not being too hasty in your choices.  If you really cannot take the chance of it happening again, take the earlier advice and work on finding a good, loving home for him, either through a local rescue group or independently.  Only you can decide what is right for you and your children, but, keep in mind while some rescue groups will place dogs who have bitten, some absolutely will not adopt them out.  We have some breed rescues here that won't even take the dogs into their program.  The circumstances do not matter, they are simply not willing to accept the liability if anything should happen down the road and they were aware of a previous incident. Good luck with your decision and my prayers are with you.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Tazz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 04:47:54 pm »
I wasn't going to respond to this post as I have not been here long. BUT...lol. I just went through the same thing with my Dutchess. If not for the people here, she would have been put down. The difference is when Dutchess bit my granddaughter I was right there and it still happened.

I contacted a evulator (sp? sorry) who came out and accessed Dutchess and assured me she was not vicious. I knew this in my heart, but after the bite I had zero trust left in her. Having an "expert" tell me my dog wouldn't suddenly go off and attack just made me feel more in control of my emotions and I could get a better grip on things.

We now have baby gates up in the house so my granddaughter can not trip and fall on Ducthess, or the other dogs, while she is here. They can still interact over the gate, but the gate prevents the baby from (in my case) the baby falling while they are sleeping. Only when they are active and wanting to play do I allow them into the room with the  baby. If they get sleeply or want to be left alone, they go back outside the gate where she has no contact with  them  unless they allow it.

This works for us and may be an option for you after your nerves calm down.
I don't know as I will ever really trust Dutchess again, but I do know she has a home here and lots of love until she is no longer. And who knows, trust may come back as the baby gets older. I will say that the biggest thing for me was admitting this was in no way the fault of child or dog. I so wanted to place blame....and there really wasn't any to place, except on myself and that was a big pill to swallow.

Good luck.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 04:59:13 pm »
How bad was the bite? Blood, no blood, deep punctures?

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 05:02:58 pm »
So sorry to hear your child was injured.  I am with the crowd that says never leave kids and dogs unattended and have four baby-type gates in a house that has had just one child inside it in the past three years.

On the concept of trust...keepin g in mind my career in risk management, trusting an animal to act any way other than like an animal seems preposterous to me.  They all will bite given the right provocation.  My worst case scenario is the Pomeranian that killed the baby in Los Angeles in 2000.

Keep the dog, teach the children to leave the dog alone, and never leave them together unsupervised again.

Edited to fix spelling and to note that I have a small facial injury at the moment caused by putting my face too close to an old, blind, nearly toothless startled Shih Tzu who was about to be walked on by one of the Mastiffs. 

On the other side of my head I have a bump caused by the other Mastiff two days earlier who tried jumping off the bed as I was hugging her.  I went to the floor with her.  A few weeks ago I was playing with the Chihuahua pup when one of those super-sharp baby fangs pierced a finger.  Accidents happen.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 05:57:21 pm by mynameislola »
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 06:40:02 pm »
I'm sorry that happened to you, your son, and Timber.  :-\  Please give yourself plenty of time to consider the entire situation.  I'm sure you'll make a decision that's best for all of you -- including Timber.
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

Offline Axel

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Life with Axel
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 03:21:16 am »
When my laborador, Zed, was sleeping on my bed one night, I was right there in the room laying down, watching TV when my 17 year old daughter came bounding into the room and plopped right down on the bed and laid her head next to Zed.  He was in such a deep sleep at the moment and she startled him so badly that he jumped up and bit her chin/lower lip.  She freaked out and ran and I screamed at the my dog and sent him out into the garage.  I was terrified of him and what had just happened and I was scared for my daughter and scared that I was going to have to report the bite and that my dog would be put down.  After everyone was calmed down and her wound was taken care of we all sat down to discuss the circumstances of the incident and realized that he was startled so badly that he reacted.  My daughter understood that and made amenz with the dog.  She was always leary of him from that day forward but everything turned out alright.

I would suggest as the others did, keep the dog, teach the children and keep an eye on them.  I'm glad that your son was not terribly hurt and I hope that things will get better. 
more pictures of our beloved puppy Axel can be found here:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomkinson

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 02:34:27 pm »
I feel for you and your son...although I agree with what all of the BPO 'experts' have said. 
I agree to give this some time to work itself out before rehoming!  Kana bit me while trying to dominate me in play last summer.  I freaked out and actually spent 2 days frightened of my own pup.  I talked to a lot of knowledgeable people (I wish I knew about this site then!)and some had harsh words for me while others were comforting and understanding.  All of the advice is worth thinking about.  Take care!  Good luck!
~Kristen
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita