Author Topic: Tub's Vet Visit  (Read 1811 times)

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Tub's Vet Visit
« on: December 06, 2007, 04:18:25 am »
Well Tub finally had his Vet visist today.The reason his legs look like they turn out, is that he has hyper extended hocks and is cow hocked. The Vet said to his knowledge there is nothing we can do and we just sit and see if he develops any pain from it,but he will check with the Ortho Vet to be sure.He weighed in at 116,but I think the tech was being generous,I think it should have been more like 114.Which is down from his year weight on Oct 26th of 117.And the Vet did think he was a little skinny.I told the Vet they went thru a phase of not eatting much and I recently switched their food and they are eatting more.He wants to give it 2 weeks and reweigh him.If he isn't gaining or loosing more he said we should probably do xrays to see if there is something more going on in his rear quarters then he's letting on to.Anyone have any info on hyper extended hocks or cow hocked? Tub(Saint) is almost 14 mths,how much should he be eatting?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 04:24:27 am by Butts Mom »
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Tub's Vet Visit
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 05:44:04 am »
I don't know much about the feeding requiremnets of Saints having never raised or owned one.  As far as cow hocks, I noticed that Cody had it when we first adopted him.  On his first vet's visit our vet noticed and commented on it.  He wanted to do X Rays on his hips, and back legs.  I waited until Cody had adjusted to us somewhat before I had it done.  As it turns out Cody has displaysia in one hip.  After gaining weight, which he needed to do, he is supporting most of his weight on his strong back leg and his hocks have turned a little more.  I have seen Saints go through rescue here that were so bad their hocks actually hit together when they were running, to the extent that it tripped them up.  Apparently, our vet guessed that he might have a problem after seeing his hocks.  He explained that it is one of the signs, but certainly does not mean that all dogs with cow hocks have bad hips or knees, just that some do.  If your vet didn't mention it, then it sounds like Tub just has an issue with his hocks.  Hopefully that is a good thing and he has no further problems with it. Kiss Tub for me.  He is such a cutie.
Kathy 
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats