Author Topic: HELLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 2554 times)

Offline Breezy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
HELLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: December 08, 2007, 05:39:28 am »
Hey everyone!

Im looking to get a new puppy. But i need a hypoallergenic dog!

I'm lost and trying to find one that I would want!

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: HELLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 05:57:12 am »
Are you looking for a large breed dog?  Most dogs considered "hypo allergenic" are small or toy breed dogs.  Although really there are no breeds that are truly hypo allergenic (except for true hairless), just some that may not cause as much problems as others b/c they shed less hair.

But here are some large breed dogs that may work for you:
standard poodle
irish water spaniel
giant schnauzer

Some medium to smaller breed dogs:
portuguese water dog
mini and toy poodle
mini and standard schnauzer
havanese
bichon
bolognese
maltese
wheaton terrier
chinese crested
mexican hairless
american hairless terrier
peruvian inca orchid

I'm sure there are some others that would work as well.  But as with any dog, you need to test the animal first before getting it.  with each individual dog there are differences in the amount it will shed and how you may be affected.  So find a way to hang around some dogs of the breeds you are interested in to find out if they bother your allergies.

Offline Breezy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 06:01:56 am »
Thanks. Um I am looking for a larger breed. I've been researching the Labradoodle and the Goldenpoo. But I cant really figure out if they can breed them with straighter hair. I dont really like the way they look with curly.

Do you know?

Offline Edwpang

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 09:38:14 am »
Thanks. Um I am looking for a larger breed. I've been researching the Labradoodle and the Goldenpoo. But I cant really figure out if they can breed them with straighter hair. I dont really like the way they look with curly.

Do you know?
Butter is a goldendoodle(or labradoodles according to some doodle parents). His hair is short and straight, but he sheds quite a bit. Curly haired doodles tend to shed less. As for temperament, he is jumpy when guests or we first come in, but after a while, he relaxes and lies down on carpet like he what does everyday. He is also quite playful with other dogs.

Picture of Butter and another curly doodle at play:

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 06:11:21 pm »
Tibetan Mastiffs are also reputed to be hypoallergenic .  I think the earlier suggestions to visit with breeders and see how you react is an excellent one.  You may find that you will be okay with some breeds and not others.  Each person's allergic reactions differ and you need to determine which if any are right for you. Good luck with your search.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Breezy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 07:46:43 pm »
Thanks For the infomation.

Oh man! That Tibetan Mastiff is adorable! I think im in love!!!!!!

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 03:34:13 pm »
I'm not going to be much help with the hypo-allergenic coats.  Luckily, I'm not allergic to animals.  I do however have 2 really slick coated dogs in the house that are minimal shedders so maybe a slicker coated dog like a greyhound or something would work for you.  I also recommend hitting the shelters and playing with all the pups to see which one doesn't effect you and adopting that one.  Good luck on your search.

Nearly forgot to introduce myself.  I'm Kat and my crew is listed below and welcome to the board.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience