Author Topic: Need prayers and good thoughts for my friend's dog!!!  (Read 2589 times)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
Need prayers and good thoughts for my friend's dog!!!
« on: December 08, 2007, 08:06:22 am »
My best friend, Ann, just told me her Chow Chow, Tucker, has been very sick.  Tucker hasn't been eating for about three weeks now and has gotten very skinny.  Ann said any time Tucker tries to eat she just throws it right up.  She has had bloodwork and tests done, X-rays, and the only thing the vet can find wrong is she has some gas.  Tucker is 14 years old, maybe it's just old age.  The vet wanted to keep her overnight but Ann had to go get her because she was trying to chew her way out of the cage.  Poor baby's face and mouth was all bloody from chewing on steel.

Ann has been heartsick for the last few weeks and she hasn't been eating because of worry and stress.  I don't know what she'll do if she loses Tucker.  Please pray that Tucker will get past this and if she doesn't, pray that Ann will be ok.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 10:05:32 am by Newly Newfed »
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Need prayers and good thoughts for my friend's dog!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 09:59:29 am »
I'm sorry for your friend Ann and her boy Tucker.  It sounds like Tucker has lived a nice long life filled with love and affection from Ann.  I'm sad that he's not feeling well, and is having to go through this.  Especially this time of year, with all the love and joy being thrown all over the place by everyone it's especially difficult to be going through hardships like this.  I hope that whatever happens with Tucker he is comfortable and not in an pain, and I'm sending out all my best wishes to Ann.  I know that with friends like you who care so much about her that she'll pull through whatever happens. 
Big Hugs to all of you.   :-*
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 10:01:14 am by London_Pyr_Lover »
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 12:47:44 am »
Anne and Tucker will be in my prayers.  Has her vet suggested anything to help settle Tucker's stomach?  After Chichi got up there in years, she had a few bouts with severe stomach upset.  We would give her a gruel of pureed rice mixed with boiled, pureed chicken.  She would get maybe 2 tablespoons of this every few hours.  More if it stayed down.  If not, wait a few hours and try again.  Our vet also gave her anti nausea pills and occassionally we gave her Pepto Bismol.  It usually helped.  If nothing helps, she can try taking raw beef liver, puree it and pour this slowly down the dog's throat, a little at a time.  It at least gives them some nourishment and will help build up their strength.  Tell Anne I said Good Luck.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 01:29:13 pm »
Thanks for the advice...  I will pass it on to her.

Hopefully Tucker will allow her to do it.  She's so finicky as it is and she gives ann the stink eye when she forces stuff down her throat.  As do all dogs...  :)

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 03:37:09 pm »
My thoughts are with your friend and her pup.  If Tucker is having problems with food what about some pedialyte to help restore some of the electrolytes.   
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Prayers for my friend's dog!!! - SAD UPDATE
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 05:24:31 pm »
I just got off the phone with Ann.  Tucker had a seizure this morning.  Ann was so upset that she called the vet and is going to put Tucker down today.  It's too much for her to see the poor dog go through that.

Poor, sweet Tucker.  She is such a good dog.  At least she won't suffer any more.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 05:27:29 pm by Newly Newfed »

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret