Author Topic: Dog walker p.s.. no pitbulls  (Read 8763 times)

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
Dog walker p.s.. no pitbulls
« on: July 27, 2005, 07:20:02 pm »
Not sure if Jaime mentioned this but last night we ran into a flyer by a little boy who offered a dog walking service. He had some details etc but at the bottom he had written "p.s. No Pitbulls". I felt like calling the number myself just to inquire about the discrimination but didn't. I just thought it was wrong..  I guess wrong in the sense that it will probably have some influence on others that see that flyer.

Michael

Nicole

Re: Dog walker p.s.. no pitbulls
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 07:21:02 pm »
Ugh. That's all I hafta say. I have major issues with people and their prejudice toward anything. Dogs or otherwise.  >:(

Offline lburrell

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 10:30:02 am »
Speaking of pit bulls...am wondering if anyone here has information about something I heard on another list and find completely disturbing.  It was posted on another list that Denver has recently passed a law prohibiting people from owning pit bulls...or any dog that 'looks' like a pit bull.  Another person posted that they had also heard that since this law was passed, over 300 dogs have been euthanized.  That animal control is actually going to people's houses and taking their dog(s). 

I am appaulled....c an this really be true?!  I am hoping not.

Lori

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 10:33:43 am »
unfourtunatly it is true, they are trying to pass a law like that in Ontario and in the states as well, sorry I am not sure which ones there is a post on it.
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 10:35:06 am »
Here is one
 Pit ban in Denver, Miami, Cin - what do u think???, in the general board
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 10:35:58 am »
Here is the other, in general board as well

please go to help me BSL has included most big breeds not just pits/rot  « 1 2 » 
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline Joji

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 10:45:15 am »
I'm sure we'd all agree, it's his right to say what dogs he will and won't walk - after all he has to be able to handle the dog if he is walking it in public, which leads me to think he (or his parents) should be more concerned about the individual dog's obedience rather than breed type. 

Seems like there is a trend to create legislation targeting specific breeds (or in the insurance industy to refuse coverage if a person has a certain breed). Google the acronym BSL and you'll find various sites discussing it; you'll also find the latest info about dog-related legislation on AKC's web site.

-- T
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. -Phil Pastoret

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2005, 01:10:00 pm »
You did say it was a little boy.  I can't say that I blame him, wasn't the pit bull, a breed specifically created to be a pit fighting dog. They're original stock comes from bull-baiting dogs, etc. I could be wrong on all that, but that is what I've been led to believe.

It seems to make sense that a concerned parent might not want their little boy handling dogs that are meant to take down large game, be agressive and tenacious fighters, etc.?

Why is that line of thinking wrong?
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2005, 01:51:10 pm »
That line of thinking is really an ignorant line of thinking... and I don't at all mean that in a negative way. But that's precisely what the problem is.. you've been led to believe that and everyone that walks by that note will reinforce in their minds that the breed or dog is the problem.. when it's not. Similar to guns.. do guns kill people? No people kill people.. just as people mistreat or teach wrong behaviors to pit bulls.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 02:01:47 pm »
That is soo true and I have to say that I used to be one of those people, towards rottis, until I met one and she was the sweetest dog on the face of the planet. I then educated myself  on the breed and realized that it is not the dog that is born agressive, people make the dog agressive, same for pittbulls. No dog is born agressive it is made agressive by us, we then in turn ban the dogs for what we have done to it. This is not right and we had to educate people, that this is what is happening. If one breed gets banned, people will just make another breed agressive for god fights ect, and that breed will get banned ect it is a vicous circle that needs to STOP NOW.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2005, 02:02:34 pm »
I don't really follow your thinking.  I realize that more people are probably bitten by labrador retreivers than pit-bulls and that the media witch hunt does play a big part in the negative image of the pit bull.
But the fact remains that they were bred for pit-fighting. I would think that like other animals bred for purposes they would have a strong instinct to do their "job".
Example: Shelties will herd stuff, even if they have never been around a sheep in their life.  Pointers will point, Bloodhounds will follow a scent, Newfs have a strong rescue instinct. 

Bad owners and buttheads are pretty responsible for a lot of the bad press also, but instinct is instinct, even good training and responsible owners can't just make it go away.

If I'm wrong help me to understand where this line of thinking is wrong, I'm open-minded and not afraid to learn new things at all.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2005, 02:06:28 pm »
I can't say that I know alot about Pitt bulls, because I don't. And I don't know what they were bred for, but if it was for fighting that is a shame and very sad. I still don't agree with banning a breed as people will jut turn to another for dog fights ect.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2005, 02:23:23 pm »
Well said, Melissakins, It is the PEOPLE who do this to there dogs! The dog doesn't ask to be mean does it no we do this to them. I complety agree to the statement that you made
"Maybe we should lock up the folks who help their dogs become vicious...or prevent them somehow from keeping animals. "

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2005, 02:25:33 pm »
Hey Brandon you're right.. it is unfortunately part of their nature but what isn't part of their nature is hate. What this means of course is more work needs to be done to protect these animals.. not ban them. Fully trained and well socialized pit bulls would never attack a child but instead protect them. This flyer, most likely influenced by the parents should instead evaluate the dog their son works with on an individual basis, not exclude them further propagating ignorance.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2005, 03:10:02 pm »
In California a lady was killed by a couple's dogs - not sure which breed (Pit or Rottie)

That was Diane Whipple and it was in San Fancisco, and it was two Presa Canarios.. that is a whole other twisted and very demented story.