Author Topic: New to breed, puppy question  (Read 6047 times)

Offline jwdavismd

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
New to breed, puppy question
« on: December 11, 2007, 01:59:43 am »
Hello everyone, My name is Jeff. I am looking into getting a rottweiler as a gift for my girlfriend and while searching the Internet I came across this puppy. I like him because he's different but I would like to know whether or not his coloration and markings are within the breed standard. I have tried to find the answer myself but I'm still not sure so if anyone can help me out I would appreciate it. Thanks.

lins_saving_grace

Re: New to breed, puppy question
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 02:13:22 am »
He's got that face...Lady had that face.  she was so unhappy about being so small.
look at those paws too.  he's going to be a big boy.   i'd get him too.
and the bow tie...no white streak that a lot of rotts get.  the breeders like to send those home with people looking for pets since they don't rate well in the ring.
call this person and ask a ton of questions. 
find out if at least one parent is there to see and what about health history in the family and what tests have been done, what vaccinations already, how old is he, can you see his pedigree, will you have limited registration papers (unless you're buying the pedigree and will be allowed to show and breed him), ask that person about his breed standard and whatever else. if you get a lot of good answers, it's a good healthy pup.  if this person says UUUUMMMM and I don't know you'll know you're getting a puppy from someone with 2 rotts that did it.
in that case, beware...you may have health issues to deal with in the course of his life.
don't be shy.  you're dishing out a lot of money...you want to be sure.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 02:18:54 am by Lin, aka Playa »

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 02:24:16 am »
I've recently been researching the breed as well (BF wants one) and IMO (I'm no expert) I would say No, his markings do not fit into breed standard. He has too much tan on his chest and his muzzle has tan in it and shouldn't. I know in Canada-sorry I didn't look where you're from- you can write to the CKC and find out which breeders are in good standing. I imagine you could do the same with the AKC. I would do as much research as possible and most likely if you are getting your pup from a good breeder you will have to plan ahead and get your name on the list for the next breeding. Seldom should you be able to phone and get a readily available puppy.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 03:12:29 am »
It would be considered a serious fault by the AKC breed standard.
You best bet is to contact your regional and local Rottweiler club and ask for a breeders list. If your in the US you can find them listed at the url below.
http://www.amrottclub.org/localclubs.htm
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 03:18:11 am by VdogLover »

Offline loser

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 06:47:55 am »
does your girlfriend know your getting her a rotty? they are great dogs but need to be raised and trained properly (very strong breed), anyway if you just want the cute pup pictured as a pet he looks fine forget the standards as long as he is healthy. goodluck.

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 04:06:04 pm »
Are you planning on  showing  the dog???
Im j ust asking sence   With showing you would  want to  be  iffy  but  Zeus MY  big baby  he has  White on  his belly a  breeding fault  or what ever like  LIn worte but seriously that  lil  boy is  just way tooooo cute.. 
Rotti  do  take a lot of time a training  and you have to  be there to   train and  want to train.. They are great  dogs.. Zeus is  my  first and iM  glad I got him he is My  giant   min pin lmao..
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti