Author Topic: Food issues...again  (Read 3390 times)

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Food issues...again
« on: December 13, 2007, 06:57:15 pm »
The vet diagnosed Bo with "mild pancreatitis" and said that she can't have ANY treats, cheese, chicken...noth ing but kibble.  This is a MAJOR affront to her gastronomic senses, since she's used to getting grated cheese, chicken and broth on her dinner nightly.  She's going on "hunger strike" now, refusing to eat her kibble becuase it isn't doctored enough to her liking.  I've tried warm water and making a fuss over it, but to no avail.  Does anyone know of something "low fat" and grain-free that I could put on her dinner to help make it more appetizing?  She's currently eating Natural Balance Duck & Potato kibble.  Does anyone know if I can give her the wet version of that?  Help!!!
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Food issues...again
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 07:43:33 pm »
I'm not sure about that chicken broth...I think it has to do with fat content or something like that?  I've given her gluten-free, organic chicken broth from Trader Joes in the past, but I don't know if that made it worse or not.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 07:56:27 pm »
NB Duck and Potato has chicken fat in it, if she is having issues I would try a sample of Pinnacle Duck and Potato. That is all that is in that one. With my old mal, Tonka, she had IBD, this was the only food she could tolerate as time goes on and she starts feeling better you may be able to experiment with treats (homemade treats I have various sites) but only one at a time. With eating, she will finally eat when she gets hungry if it goes beyond 2 days call the vet, but I would think since they said no chicken that chicken fat would be included as well.

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 02:01:45 pm »
Can she have vanilla yogurt or cottage cheese?  They make both fat free.  I have taken all natural fresh ground peanut butter, mixed it with hot water and put that on kibble.  You could also try mixing mashed white or sweet potatoes with her food.  My dogs like that.  I have boiled apples, pureed them and put that on kibble. I have made biscuits from freshly ground peanut butter, soy or garbanzo flour and a little pure applesauce.  I have a really hard time with the standard "If they are hungry, they will eat."  I won't eat anything, if I can't have something I like, no matter how hungry I am.  Why would I expect my dog to?  Good luck and I am so sorry that she is not feeling well.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Wildlonewolf

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Lucy Sue!!
    • View Profile
    • Windsor Cheapcycle
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 03:25:53 pm »
ahhhhh good luck!!! How's Bo doing today?

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 01:55:03 pm »
Hi,
one of our dogs is on Wellness. No wheat or corn. They also make canned wet food too. here is a link to the canned products, if you want to check it out...you can get to the dry food from there too.
Brad
http://omhpet.com/wellness/dog_wellness_can_index.html
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com