Author Topic: Hello, New here!  (Read 6396 times)

Offline Khiori

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • SoloDancer
    • View Profile
    • Solitude
Hello, New here!
« on: July 27, 2005, 09:22:37 pm »
Hello all, I thought I would introduce myself.  My name is Rachel and I live in So Cal (Lake Arrowhead).  I am owned by Solo (Landseer Newfoundland) and Leo (Collie/Aussie Shep Mix).  They are both the light of my life - right after my husband, Sean - I swear!

Anyway, I'm having too much fun reading the boards, looking at all the beautiful pictures of everyone's dogs and playing with the really neat forum software.  I will soon put up some pictures of my three best guys.

Icerotti

Re: Hello, New here!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 09:23:53 pm »
Welcome. I have not been here that long but it feels like home already. :)

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 09:30:28 pm »
Welcome to B.P.'s!!!...Your Solo is a beauty!...I hope you'll enjoy it here as much as I do!

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 10:17:45 pm »
Call me prejudice.. but that newf Solo is a cutie!  He's going to make just fine here! :)

Khiori - Your paw print of solo was fun to read! He is so handsome. I'm interested to find out how he reacted to your first dogs epilepsy. Did he understand it? He sounds like a very careful and loving.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 10:22:59 pm »
Welcome aboard! Solo is very handsome. How old is he? Is he your first Newf?
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Khiori

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • SoloDancer
    • View Profile
    • Solitude
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 10:27:26 pm »
Thank you for the welcomes! 

As far as Solo and his reaction to Khiori-pup's seizures.  The very very first one she had, we were all so frightened.  Sean and I thought she was going to die because it went on for so long (in the middle of the night no less).  We blocked Solo out of the room that time and for the next few.  We had been told that sometimes other dogs will attack and possibly kill a seizing dog.  The way Solo would react when he was sent from the room while Khiori would have a seizure would be to body slam the door and bark and just generally carry on.  One time though I just said "Let him in.  Make him stay on the bed".  And he did.  So after that we would allow him to stay but he had to be on the bed away from Khiori.

The time I knew he was the Newf Nanny Extraordinaire ... well there were two times to show me.  One was I found Khiori post ictal (a confusion type state) and Solo was lead her around the house keeping her from corners, furniture and off the stairs.  The next time, I just caught Khiori falling into a seizure.  Solo ran over, laid down next to where she was going to land and then stay with her while she kicked, barked and bit him.

Fortunately my husband and I are self employed and at home so we were able to care for Khiori during all this.  She died when she was 2.5 yrs old and Solo nearly followed - he was so heart broken (like the rest of us).  We got Leo about two months after Khiori died.  Leo brought a lot of life and sunshine back into our lives. 

Here's Leo and Solo after our Thanksgiving dinner, 2004. 

Offline Khiori

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • SoloDancer
    • View Profile
    • Solitude
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 10:31:15 pm »
Welcome aboard! Solo is very handsome. How old is he? Is he your first Newf?

Solo is my ...  *counts* ... fourth Newfie.  My first was when I was four years old, Nani.  Then there was Blu when I was five.  And then when I was about 10 we rescued LuLu.  Then a long gap to when I turned 30 and said to Sean "I WANNA NEWFIE!!"  lol.  Solo turned six years old this past January.  He's my first Landseer.  All the others were black.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005, 10:34:24 pm »
Four Newfs...how awesome is that?!
What a tragic yet heart warming story. I am so sorry about the seizures. How terrible! You sure do have one terrific boy in Solo. Isn't it amazing at how dogs react to the siblings that they love!  ;D And the pic of Solo and Leo is sooo cute. They look like they had a blast at dinner.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Heel Biters

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 10:52:17 pm »
Welcome to BPO - You should have a great time here as we're a pretty friendly bunch!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 10:59:40 pm »
First I want to welcome you to BPO, I am sure you will love it as much as we all do, and get as addicted to this place as very very many of us are (we here on BPO probably have the messiest houses lol, or hmmmm is that only me wishing the other ones neglect their houses for the board aswell lol...)

Your avatar is so cute, that little tongue is just too cute. And I could feel a choke when I read about your wonderful Solo and how he took care of Khiori. I am sorry for your loss.

The pic of Solo and Leo is too funny, it took me awhile before I could make out what was what in the pic hehe

Hope to see many many more pics of your beautiful dogs

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Khiori

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • SoloDancer
    • View Profile
    • Solitude
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 11:02:25 pm »
Solo was begging for a bean sprout in that picture LOL  :D

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2005, 08:36:42 am »
Bean sprouts! We must have created a monstor over here because Bear just wont eat it unless it smells like it's been grilled, bbq'd, or some kind of ice cream.  :-\

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2005, 08:48:23 am »
Hi and Welcome...I am still new too but everyone seems great.  Very sad story... sorry about that...  Your pics are very cute...That is oon eof my favorite reasons for being here is all the grat pics.  Everyone is very supportive of one another and not to much drama...it is very nice

Just a quick off topic note...got an email from a friend of mine.  His dog had started having seizures....hi s vet had him switch to a Raw diet and the dog stopped with the seziures....wh en he lost his job he went back to commercial dog food cause he thought it was cheaper and about two weeks after the switch his dog started having seziures again....he decided he would rather incure the extra expense and raw feed again...his dog has not had a seziure since......jus t makes you think..you know....  i am starting raw feeding and think it is great so far  and I really love he book  "give your do a bone" by billinghurst
ok  well welcome again
Timmie

Offline Khiori

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • SoloDancer
    • View Profile
    • Solitude
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 09:12:40 am »
When Khiori first started seizures I immediately switched her (and Solo) over to a raw food diet (the Billinghurst way!)  They LOVED it.  And it did improve Khiori's seizures.  She ended up not surviving the next six months, regardless of diet.  I believe she had a tumor.

I do know of several epileptic dogs who gained control via diet though.  They were even able to stop their anti-seizure medications.

Solo did excellent on raw though.  That's why he adores vegetables now.  Not so fruit!  But if we pull out the cutting board and start chopping, he's right there drooling away and begging for a piece of vegetable.

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005, 10:10:12 am »
Bear needs to hang out with Solo for a while  - He could definately learn a few things.