4 (19%)
A day or so after he/she was picked up.
3 (14.3%)
I didn't; I left its given name.
3 (14.3%)
Name? I still haven't named my dog!
1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Naming your dog  (Read 9775 times)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Naming your dog
« on: April 04, 2005, 11:17:11 pm »
I was sitting around wondering how long it took for you to decide on your fur baby's name. Personally, we had Bear's name chosen (and all that he was going to be) long before we got him. Though unoriginal, it fits him so well and brings a smile to our face everytime we say it!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline steelkiwi686

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Naming your dog
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 04:14:03 am »
Wel, my dogs were not named until I got each and really gave them a good look. I tried to fit their name to their look and personality as a puppy. This is Leo, as a baby I thought he would look like a lion, that is why I chose the name. I think I was right. Sometimes I do wonder, does the name itself become a self fulfilling prophecy? If I named him Chaos, would be have been chaotic?? I pictured the name Leo to represent a gentle huge lionlike dog. How do you think I did??

Bridget

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 11:42:00 am »
I agree with you very strongly on naming dogs becomes a self fullfilling prophesey.  I've seen it occur over and over.  However I have not learned from that...lol  hince I named my current show dog Spirit Warrior "Warrior" ........ nuff said...lol

Jackie

Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Offline Wildlonewolf

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Lucy Sue!!
    • View Profile
    • Windsor Cheapcycle
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 09:42:58 pm »
Lucy's name came about as she is a red greyhound. She was so comical that first night, (she acted like a 3yr old puppy, off the racetrack) That the only name that suited her was Lucy. As "I love Lucy" is the only comical redhead that came to mind at the time. I called her name and she came running over right away, so the way I saw it, she liked it. That's the story of Lucy... BTW she still makes me Howl with laughter!! LOL

Renee & Lucy

Offline Saljen

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Rosie with icy whiskers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 12:36:35 am »
I am definately on the side of naming a dog after you meet it and know its personality.
Hey, Wildlone: I've got a Lucy, too, & she was named after the same famous redhead. She is actually 'officially' my son's dog so he got to name her as a pup. She has a red coat and my son and I were watching a lot of 'I love Lucy' on TVLand that summer and he was LOVING the show. So, he came up with Lucy! Funny thing is, it REALLY fits her but not because she is a comedian - far from it! She's our serious worry-wart, but something about the name just fits her old, mothering soul. Our other dog Rosie got her name because she gets so happy-go-lucky sometimes its HILARIOUS! So we said that she looked at the world thru rose colored glasses, plus we wanted a sweet name that suited her. Even tho she's not a "big paw', here is a pic of Lucy just this once.   ;D

Offline RottnPeytonsMom

• Gnawer
  • Peyton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 02:44:12 am »
I let my kids name my baby. She is named after my sons favorite football player, Peyton Manning. Usually though I try to think of names that I like before i get the dog then figiure out what fits best once the dog comes home.

Kelly
Please dont forget me, for if I thought you would I would never leave-Christopher Robin

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 09:15:00 am »
People always ask how I named Spotakiss.Well when I went to pick him out of his litter I couldnt make up my mind which one I wanted,Then I saw him with his big black spot on his left cheek.So I figured he was the one I was meant to get.I believe in signs.So I took the name Sparticus and changed it a little .In the pic you kind of can see the spot.

Offline Wildlonewolf

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Lucy Sue!!
    • View Profile
    • Windsor Cheapcycle
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 09:07:04 pm »
I am definately on the side of naming a dog after you meet it and know its personality.
Hey, Wildlone: I've got a Lucy, too, & she was named after the same famous redhead. She is actually 'officially' my son's dog so he got to name her as a pup. She has a red coat and my son and I were watching a lot of 'I love Lucy' on TVLand that summer and he was LOVING the show. So, he came up with Lucy! Funny thing is, it REALLY fits her but not because she is a comedian - far from it! She's our serious worry-wart, but something about the name just fits her old, mothering soul. Our other dog Rosie got her name because she gets so happy-go-lucky sometimes its HILARIOUS! So we said that she looked at the world thru rose colored glasses, plus we wanted a sweet name that suited her. Even tho she's not a "big paw', here is a pic of Lucy just this once. ;D

I love your Lucy!!!
Renee & Lucy

Offline RottnPeytonsMom

• Gnawer
  • Peyton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2005, 01:02:28 am »
Although my newest addition to my household doesn't fit into the big paws catagory, I just thought that i would add his name here and the way that i decided on it. I named my yorkie/min pin Memphis. Not after the town. After Nic Cage in Gone in 60 seconds. Its my favorite movie and he is like a little rocket when he goes somewhere. I thought it was original and pretty cool.

I work for a grooming salon in a nationwide pet store and you would be amazed at how many dogs come in with the same ol same ol names. Yesterday, we had 3 golden retrievers all named Lucky. The day before 2 black labs named Buddy. ANd a week ago 2 chocolate labs named Lady.

I often times want to ask people why they didn't sit for 10 minutes longer and think of something original.
Please dont forget me, for if I thought you would I would never leave-Christopher Robin

Offline Saljen

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Rosie with icy whiskers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2005, 01:00:14 am »

I love your Lucy!!!
Renee & Lucy

Thanks! I love yours too. Your Lucy's big nose pic is one of my faves on here!  ;D

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2005, 10:51:51 am »
We had decided on two names before we got our St. One was Earnest, and the other Seamus.  We thought Earnest was so befitting of the gentle but intimidating St. Bernard, but I loved the name Seamus.  We decided to let the dog decide.  There were two pups we loved.  A definite Earnest who was cuddily and sweet, and then our little man Seamus who was independent and aloof.  We decided on Seamus b/c he was the largest and had by far the most beautiful markings.  So, I guess my answer is technically we decided before we got him AND the minute we saw him. 
I do love his name so much, and i'm happy we picked it.  The one thing I don't like though, we picked the traditional Irish spelling as opposed to the phonetic spelling Shamus.  It really confuses people, and they always call him SEE-MUS.  Completely understandable b/c that is how it looks, but it still bothers me!

Offline Lupine

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 05:29:02 pm »
As I sit here, looking at my own screenname, wearing a very furred-up "wolf conservation center - nywolf.org" shirt - I wonder...  however, did I manage to name my new husky "Wolf"?

Well, actually, I was going to get more creative, but my husband actually insisted on it since he looks like it and I had already stated my preference for single-syllable names.

:P

The fact that he's already responding to it, and he's only been with me for under 7 hours...  well, it's fate!  ^.^

Offline CenturionPits

• Gnawer
  • All of my dogs. 4 who live with me.
    • View Profile
    • Centurion Pits
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2005, 07:27:36 pm »
With my black lab/chow/boxer it took me almost a week after I got her to decide on a name.  She was a very unexpected addition.  I already had 5 dogs and wasn't planning on anymore, but when I saw her barely 5 weeks old being given away int he Walmart parking lot my heart ached for her and her siblings and it was love at first sight.  She and I have bonded very closely and Chassidy as she was deemed after much thought is a normal rambunctious but very obedient and loyal 5 month old puppy with lots of growing left to do.
Capone and Josephine were named when I got them and Chicago got her name before I even saw her.  I wasnt sure if I was getting a boy or a girl and I fell in love with her rowdy little antics immediately.  The name Rosy absolutely did not suit her she was aything but.  I have a mixie who just recently found a home (the brindle in the pics) and her mom was a purebred pit named Chicago.  I loved the name hence how ours tiny blonde (blue fawn)  gal got her name.  And let me tell ya it suits her perfectly.   I have had plenty of other names too many to count and they all ended up with the animal perfect for it.  Sometimes it takes days maybe weeks before I can decide on a name but sometimes its instantaneous.  ^_^
The home of Centurion Pits.  Showing and breeding pits since 2005.  Rescuing since 2002'