Author Topic: I'm getting kicked out of my apartment  (Read 18931 times)

lins_saving_grace

I'm getting kicked out of my apartment
« on: December 18, 2007, 09:10:27 pm »
ROYAL GLEN APARTMENTS
4306 Royal Glen Drive Comstock Park, MI 49321

December 18, 2007
Milinda Stickler & All Occupants 4285 Royal Glen Dr. Comstock Park, MI 49321
Dear Resident:
The Royal Glen office is receiving complaints and great concerns specifically regarding your dog. The problems and complaints all revolve on the size combined with and more importantly the very aggressive nature of your dog voiced both by residents and staff. There is also great concern about your ability at times to restrain and control your dog when you are out on the grounds. Considering the density of people that is the nature of any apartment community we feel that an apartment may not be the best environment for your dog considering the apparent aggressive nature of the dog. Although we have many residents at Royal Glen with dogs of many different breeds your dog is the only one in recent memory that has stimulated so much concern and fear by other residents.
Therefore, we reluctantly have to tell you that we will not be able to renew your lease and as a consideration to you if you wish to leave earlier than your lease expires we will not penalize you for early termination. Please understand this is not personally directed at you because you have been a resident we would recommend if not for the great amount of fear and consternation created by your pet. Obviously our primary concern is that we are sure that neither you nor we would wish to see an unfortunate incident.
Steve May Property Man? Royal Glen Apartments
cc: Resident File
If you have questions regarding this matter I am available at the Royal Glen office at 784-7880. Thank you for your help and cooperation.

Icerotti

Re: I'm getting kicked out of my apartment
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 09:21:19 pm »
Awwww I am sorry Lins that is horrible.  I have to agree with Holly not that you would want to stay but finding a new place may be better. If they have THAT kind of attitude. Did they just pull this out of the air or was there some problems before?

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 09:26:35 pm »
I saw a corner apartment where i could be and never run into anyone who lives here.  but i would hate to ever ask management cuz it sounds like they have their minds made up.  i'm gonna go cry a little. 

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 09:28:32 pm »
AWWWW LIns (((((((HUGS))))))))

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 10:02:33 pm »
i'm not getting rid of her.  but now i feel like i can't take care of her the way i should

i have a friend who's ex husband won't mind taking me in ... Grace loves him.  but he lives a bit farther away than i'd like.  there are up's and down's but i can go there if i have to. 

just when things are going well.

i thought to ask if i could have a corner unit in the back...there's one i saw that would make it so i'd never have to see anyone.  but that letter sounds so final. 
at least i have 3 months to figure it out...and staying would make things uncomfortable.  i don't really want to come up with the money for a security deposit and stuff now especially with my hours at work cut for the winter.  i just don't know what to do.  i was so happy for 9 whole months.

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 10:17:59 pm »
Where is the aggression, is this just something that they have come up with? Why are they stating that she is aggressive? Residents and Staff have complained that she is aggressive? Wow, you are better off away from there- I wonder if you could find a small house to rent or lease, nothing too large, maybe a 2 bedroom one bath then Grace would even have her own backyard. I think that I would contact the manager about his perception of Grace and at least have that discussion.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 10:22:20 pm »
she growls at that one dude who ran from her.  but over all i avoid everyone and know when the right times to take her out is so i don't see people. 
i don't know where this came from.  i just want disappear.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 10:23:36 pm »
all the houses i can afford are in the hood

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 10:28:06 pm »
Then confront the issue- no it probably wont change anything but you have to get her unlabled as aggressive. Start looking now- you may be surprised at what might be available that is not in the hood. I know that in downtown Dallas they have these really cool loft apartments and they are not too overly priced and they advertise that big dogs are welcome. Not sure about your city, but who knows. The good news is you have 3 months and even better you know you are not going to be homeless since you do have a place to go if necessary,so turn this into a positive. I know that you were considering moving to another state, could this be the push for you to really consider that move?

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 10:34:28 pm »
Dogs are like children.  They will love you and be happy no matter where you live as long as they are with you and you love them.  I was a single mom with 3 children and no child support for most of their lives.  We lived in some less than stellar places, some in the hood.  They have wonderful memories of their childhood.  If kids can be that forgiving, I know a dog who loves you unconditionall y will not care.  It is a shame, but the aggression and concerns mentioned in the letter may be solely generated by the appearance, breed, size of dog you have.  I have some neighbors who have commented that I seem to have a hard time controlling our dogs.  When I went to them and asked what they were talking about, it was based solely on the fact that my dogs are larger than I am.  Therefore, I must not be able to control them.  People are so strange.  Good luck with your search and remember.  For each door that shuts, a new and better one can open.  Just keep a positive outlook and things will turn out for the best.  Hugs
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline jagersmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 11:00:52 pm »
Then confront the issue- no it probably wont change anything but you have to get her unlabled as aggressive. Start looking now- you may be surprised at what might be available that is not in the hood. I know that in downtown Dallas they have these really cool loft apartments and they are not too overly priced and they advertise that big dogs are welcome. Not sure about your city, but who knows. The good news is you have 3 months and even better you know you are not going to be homeless since you do have a place to go if necessary,so turn this into a positive. I know that you were considering moving to another state, could this be the push for you to really consider that move?

I have to agree. Have her "unlabeled." I mean h3ll Jager would be taken from me by now if I lived in an apartment like that. He's not good on a leash and goes crazy when someone is in front of our house (both my fault on the lack of training lol). And I'm definately agreeing that maybe this is a push to move to a new area all together. See if there is an opening in the TN office and start looking.

I also agree with Kathy too. When one door closes another opens.
Dogs laugh.... by wagging their tails

Annette, mother to:

Jagermeister - Bullmastiff
Bacardi - DSH terror cat

Offline karateblossom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • skin and fur family of many children from ages 5 to 14 living at home; and eng mastiff named odin and a siamese named april. we are like alvin and the chipmunks meet garfield!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 11:05:22 pm »
Lin.....I'm so sorry.  People are so funny-they just don't understand what we big dog people do.  my landlord tried coming into my home onetime to check our toilets (we live in country and had new septic tanks put in due a flood) and my odin just about sent grandpa into cardiac arrest-for which I was grateful bcuz I had just stepped out of the shower and heard the front door. Odin was in no way aggressive but a reasonable perception  of a giant 8" head checking out the deal could have easily been construed as aggressive due to size.  I'm so sad for the rejection and probably more true than not, one or two people felt an erroneous threat due to size and complained (probably complained due to size and perceived probability rather than factual events) and it only takes one staff member to feed one ember and the letter gets ratger over inflated and here it stands.  soooooo sorry.  I know we rent a decent house in the country for under $900 but we live in a relatively rural coastal community that caters to retirees so we may be lucky....so sorry skinned types are unknowing.  heck, the meanest most aggressive furry pal I've ever encountered was my brothers spoiled chihuahua...bu t he's  'harmless', right-perception.....sad perception
karma is kewl!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 11:31:53 pm »
I'm so sorry Lin. Hopefully something will come about so that you and Grace can live your lives happily together. Sending you 2 happy thoughts...
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 12:49:52 am »
i'm debating on wheather to ask them to move me to a corner and out of the way or avoid making everyone more uncomfortable ... just ride it out.  they are so eager to get me to leave they've not asked for a penalty for breaking my lease...i feel really wanted.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 01:33:35 am »
i was looking on line and found a place (NEAR A PARK) that is a single house and pets negociable.  i emailed him.