Author Topic: When it rains it pours.  (Read 7271 times)

lins_saving_grace

When it rains it pours.
« on: December 28, 2007, 02:05:46 am »
I got laid off today.  this is such a good thing really.  my company has been going downhill for a long time.  they are underhanded and sneeky.  i saw it coming and i'm looking forward to new opportunities.  just bad timing.

EllieAndBlu

Re: When it rains it pours.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 02:29:53 am »
oh Lin - Holly is so right - this has been quite a year for you.... thankfully 2008 is just a few days away - with all sorts of opportunities awaiting you! I sure do know how you are feeling with the whole "laid off" thing...  if you need an ear to bend - I am here for you!  Hang in there girl.... when one door closes, a whole bunch open!

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 11:55:32 am »
Lin, I am so sorry.  You are right, bad timing, but at least it sounds like you didn't lose your dream job at your dream company.  I have always believed that if God brings you to it, he will bring you through it.  Look at this as a new year, new start and a new adventure, all rolled into one.  Good luck and remember, when you are looking for a new job, look at it as an opportunity to grow, learn and expand your skill set.  Changing careers is a lot of fun and very rewarding.  I have done it many times and find that each time I grow as a person.  Good luck and let us know how it goes. You are in my prayers.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 12:22:34 pm »
I am sorry to hear these news Lin BUT collecting for unemployment could be a good thing  ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline jagersmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 12:56:36 pm »
I am sorry to hear these news Lin BUT collecting for unemployment could be a good thing  ;)

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Dang Lin, you're just having all the fun this last month of 07. Good thing 08 is around the corner! Maybe it's another sign to say good bye to where your at and move on.  ;)
Dogs laugh.... by wagging their tails

Annette, mother to:

Jagermeister - Bullmastiff
Bacardi - DSH terror cat

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 03:15:03 pm »
i'll be ok.  i'll be ok.  i'll be ok. 

maybe i'll keep saying that outloud.  i've applied for about 250 jobs online since September and 100 since last week.  i saw this coming three months ago and was hoping to beat them to it...but no such luck.

i'll be ok somehow. 

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 03:32:22 pm »
Man, I'm sorry Lin.  But you're right, you'll be OK.  Have you applied to some jobs in the states that you may like to move to?  I agree with maxsmom too, expand your horizons when you're looking for the next gig.  Good luck to you, and as always keep us posted.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

dohertyswissy

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 05:18:54 pm »
Aww Lin!  I am sorry to hear that.  I can say, from VERY recent experience, that getting the heck out of a bad company, regardless of the means, can be the door to something fantastic.  It was a long 4 months for me to find a job with a wonderful company, but it was worth it.  I'm in a great place right now. 

I know it can be hard (TRUST ME), but look at this as a door to something amazing.  You can do whatever you want...even move perhaps. 

You WILL be okay.  Promise.   :)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 11:28:22 pm »
Lin, I'm sorry to hear about this.  You sure have had quite a year.  Big hugs to you and I'm sure that you will find just the right place for you and Grace. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 01:10:42 pm »
thanks everyone.  i will be ok somehow.  i was worried about money and comparing now to when i had to collect unemployment once before.  i was making a lot less and i had the dollar amount of that check in my head thinking i can't live on that. 
but i will be ok.   i've sent out about 250 resumes and applied to places online.  oddly enough when you go to these places and ask for an application to fill out, they look at you like "DUH" "You have to go to our web site and fill one out.  so i did.  now we wait. 

k2campbell

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 02:08:24 pm »
Lin...I'm so sorry...but I'm glad you are at least somewhat releaved to be outta there  ;)

I'm sure your luck will change, and only good things will come to you! ;D Keeping you in my thoughts, I hope you find a job you really love!!! ;) :-*

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 03:09:35 pm »
Just remember to keep saying "I WILL get through this, I WILL get through this!"  whenever it seems like it just keeps building and building and building.  I'd like to tell you a story about me.  about a year and a half ago, I was living my life peacefully and happily in Victoria BC.  Then one day I was hanging out on my friends sail boat in the Inner Harbour when I met a boy.  There was nothing too special about this boy, he was alright looking, but kinda short.  Anyway this boy convinced me that I could have an amazing life if I moved to Alberta to work for his company.  I could work towards becoming a Welder and make $100/hr.  Well, I took the bait hook line and sinker.  I quit my job, I left my home, when I got out to Alberta  there was never a job for me.  This guy lied to me to get me out there because he thought he was in love.  He stuck me in this stupid house in the suburbs and went away to work.  I sat there for 3 weeks waiting for this job to come to fruition, it never happened.  So just when I thought I'd die there in that crappy house in the middle of Edmonton, I got online, I put myself out there, and finally got a job of my very own, without this stupid boy.  I worked for a while, and saved up my money, things got bad for a little while and I came home to Ontario to stay with my mom.  But now, I'm going to school full time for something I love, and I have my foot in the door at one of the highest paying plants anywhere. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is, no matter how bad it seems to get, you can always pull yourself out of it if you just try hard enough.  Besides, you've got all of our support with you!  And if I can do it, then you definately can!  ;) :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 04:20:39 pm »
if i don't say this outloud i'm going to scream. 

i was out dropping off apps and drove by petco.  i'm looking at places like pet stores and craft shops for something.  and they have pet photograqphy coming soon.  so in i went.  i asked if they had a photographer yet and they said yes but he's only going to make it in once every 3 months.  so i asked if i could fill out an app for future reference and she said for that no...but do i live close and do i have a business card.  YES YES YES YES I do.  so i handed her one and explained that my web site is my on the side land scape photography page (which is ready to take orders) and i have a small geocities site for my dog that i could get to her/her boss (it's a really long link name and i'm going to make me some pupography cards today. 
But as i handed her my general card (it's a groovy green) she gasped and when i walked out the door i heard her say "Sweet"!    i'm a little geeked!!!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 08:57:25 pm »
so i added to grace's web site for anyone to see.  and i made cards just for pet photography

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 10:27:17 pm »
Sounds like things are starting to look up a little eh?  :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!