Author Topic: odd question  (Read 3831 times)

Offline saintlykallismom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
odd question
« on: December 30, 2007, 05:58:15 pm »
Kalli has gotten in the habit of eating the cat feces out of the litter box. We used to have lids on them but our cats won't go in them when they have hoods like that. We could put the hoods on and try to train our cats to use them but they went weeks with the hoods on before and refused to use them. meanwhile, that left my fiance and me continuously cleaning up kitty messes throughout the house. When we catch kalli doing this we scold her and direct her towards her food but so far she has shown no sign that she is learning that she shouldn't do this. Any suggestions for how we can stop this disgusting habit.
Proud mama of:

Kalli- 6(?)month old saint bernard
Lexi- 6 mth old orange and white kitten
Franco- 5 yearold big black cat

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: odd question
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 10:24:22 pm »
I second what Tina said.  My dad keeps his cats kitty litter box in the work shop in the basement, and a hole big enough for just the cat cut out of the bottom of the door.  Maybe you can do something like that?
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 10:34:17 pm »
Agh, I love, love, LOVE my dogs but that is one thing that I've just never understood.  :-\  They really love cat poop (around here we call it "cat poooo-ed").  Cough, choke...

A wonderful BPO-er (I'm sorry, I don't recall who now) posted about this pet gate last winter or spring and we bought one (thank you, whoever you were!  ;D).  The cats can easily go through the small door and our dogs can't.  Yay! :P  The only trick is since your cats won't use a hooded litter box, you'll need to place the box far enough from the gate so that long paws can't reach in, snag a treat, and drag it across your nice clean floor to dine on.   ::)  (We use a hooded litter box with the entrance turned away from the gate.)  Good luck!

www.petsmart.c om/product/index.jsp?productId=2755234&cp=&sr=1&origkw=gate&kw=gate&parentPage=search&keepsr=1
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 10:36:05 pm by GoldenPyrs »
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 11:44:23 pm »
I have tried several things to stop this problem and have basically gone to the ever vigilant stance of the leave it command.  Plus, I clean litter boxes daily.  Really it's an ongoing battle and if you can separate the litter boxes into another room from your pup you will be much happier. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline saintlykallismom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 11:56:25 pm »
thanks everyone for your advice! I think we are going to try some sort of gate to see how that works. Hope you all have a great new year!

Libby and Kalli
Proud mama of:

Kalli- 6(?)month old saint bernard
Lexi- 6 mth old orange and white kitten
Franco- 5 yearold big black cat

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 04:08:29 am »
Sorry.  No advice here.  We are still trying to get Sierra to stop eating the cat litter.  And my sister's Yellow Lab, Comet, is 5 yrs old and STILL eats the litter whenever he can.  We keep it closed up in the bedroom and are trying to figure out how to keep Sierra out of the bedroom and still leave it open for the cats to go in and out.  Gates don't work cuz Sierra plows right through them (Mommy's little bulldozer  :))  Let me know if something works for you!
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 06:04:19 am »
Silver lining - you don't have to clean the litter box as often. Just don't let the dog lick you in the mouth.
Tani does it when we're not home, so we can't do much about it. My husband pretends it doesn't happen, and we go on with life.

P.S. EEEEEEEEEEEEEE WWWWWWWWW!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline jagersmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 07:44:07 am »
Silver lining - you don't have to clean the litter box as often. Just don't let the dog lick you in the mouth.
Tani does it when we're not home, so we can't do much about it. My husband pretends it doesn't happen, and we go on with life.

P.S. EEEEEEEEEEEEEE WWWWWWWWW!

Totally with you there. Jager just started in the last couple months eat kittie crunchies. Ugh. Nasty @$$. Anyways, we do have a baby gate blocking him from the litter box, unless it's not fully latched down. Then it's a game: "How fast can I get past the gate, run around the room, jump on the bed, run into the bathroom and get a snack before Mom notices."  EEEEEEEEEWWWWW W! He never went treasure hunting before. I keep switching cat food (between bad breathe and bad gas I'm looking for a happy yet not so sticking medium) so maybe he likes variety. Either way, it's gross.

But I digress, gates work well if their latched!  ::) ;) :D
Dogs laugh.... by wagging their tails

Annette, mother to:

Jagermeister - Bullmastiff
Bacardi - DSH terror cat

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 01:27:27 pm »
Our cats won't use litter boxes with lids either.  They are Maine Coons and really long, tall cats so it is uncomfortable for them to try and turn around.  Hubby made a wooden box out of ply wood and 2x4s.  It is around 4' long, 2'wide and 2.5' tall.  The lid is made so the 2x4 frame underneath the lid fits into the top of the box, so it is secure.  He covered the entire thing inside and out with carpet to match the cat tree.  The carpet absorbs any odors and the carpet on the floor keeps litter inside the box.  We recover it every year or so.  Two large litter trays fit in it, since my cats like different types of litter and won't both use the same one.  The box is in front of our dining room window.  They use the carpet covering as a scratching post, the cats and dogs lie on top of it to look out the window, and with the hole in the end, we slide the cat tree up to the end of it.  The cats can get in, the dogs can't get to the opening and everyone is happy.  Joe made a shelf that fits on the top perch of the cat tree and that is where we feed the cats.  My dogs are so heavy, if they try to climb on the tree to get the food, it tips and they get off before it falls.  Works well.  Good luck.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline jagersmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 02:24:50 pm »
Our cats won't use litter boxes with lids either.  They are Maine Coons and really long, tall cats so it is uncomfortable for them to try and turn around.  Hubby made a wooden box out of ply wood and 2x4s.  It is around 4' long, 2'wide and 2.5' tall.  The lid is made so the 2x4 frame underneath the lid fits into the top of the box, so it is secure.  He covered the entire thing inside and out with carpet to match the cat tree.  The carpet absorbs any odors and the carpet on the floor keeps litter inside the box.  We recover it every year or so.  Two large litter trays fit in it, since my cats like different types of litter and won't both use the same one.  The box is in front of our dining room window.  They use the carpet covering as a scratching post, the cats and dogs lie on top of it to look out the window, and with the hole in the end, we slide the cat tree up to the end of it.  The cats can get in, the dogs can't get to the opening and everyone is happy.  Joe made a shelf that fits on the top perch of the cat tree and that is where we feed the cats.  My dogs are so heavy, if they try to climb on the tree to get the food, it tips and they get off before it falls.  Works well.  Good luck.
Kathy

Can I borrow hubbies creativeness and carpentry skills? lol  :D
Dogs laugh.... by wagging their tails

Annette, mother to:

Jagermeister - Bullmastiff
Bacardi - DSH terror cat