Author Topic: morning problems  (Read 2822 times)

Offline saintlykallismom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
morning problems
« on: January 01, 2008, 02:38:56 am »
Ok so I need help cause Kalli is driving my fiance and me crazy! Kalli normally is let out or her crate when my fiance gets up to go to work, this is around 7 or 7:30, well starting last week she has been whining to get out earlier and earlier each day. It started at like 6:30 and then the next day it was 6 and so on well today it was 4:15. I have no idea why she is doing it she had been perfectly fine for the past month being let out when he got up for work and then suddenly she decided that she wasn't ok with that and each morning she wants out earlier. We try to just ignore and hope she goes back to sleep but this morning she whined for over an hour! Please help not only do I feel horrible for when she whines she is seriously killing my sleep time.
Proud mama of:

Kalli- 6(?)month old saint bernard
Lexi- 6 mth old orange and white kitten
Franco- 5 yearold big black cat

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: morning problems
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 02:47:12 am »
No advice here, just sympathy.  Ranger has really been pushing the limits on morning feeding time lately, and I feel like I spend from 5:30 on every morning saying things like "No, it's not time yet.  Go lay down.  Five more minutes.  Go back to sleep.  Why do you hate Mommy?  It isn't time." 
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 02:47:52 am by grumpybunny »
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 02:48:00 am »
Zero started doing that, and he only wanted out to eat snow. *and he has a full thing of water at all times*. we let him sleep in the bed, and he will sleep right thru from  bedtime til 10-11am. LOL. sleepy head. I know i have no answers but is Kalli crated? have you used a ferm "NO" on her when she crys?

Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 07:07:37 am »
When you do let her out does she go straight out to pee or poop?  If she really seems to need to pee (or squats to go over & over again) she may have a urinary tract infection, so you may need to have her checked over by the vet just to be sure that all's ok.  Just a thought.....  :-\
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline SirdanceAlot

• Ankle Biter
  • Im to sexy for this floor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 08:05:50 am »
Spazz went through that same thing.  I get up at 0500 so thats when i let spazz out.  then one day he wanted to get out earlier, it was about 0400 and he started playing with the gate in the crate, and what sounds like him falling against the side of the crate.  (he doesnt whine to much)so i figured he really had to go to the bathroom, so i let him out and took him outside and he took his time going to the bathroom. The next morning he did the same thing so i tried to put up with it and see what happened but he made noises for about an hour. (so i missed out on sleep that morning also.)  Well spazz hates to be sprayed with water.  I mean as soon as he sees me grab the water bottle its run in a coner and cower, like the water is Doggy Acid, and just burns when it touches his coat.  So, that night i had the water bottle by the bed and i turned his crate to face me.  He woke up early and wanted to wake me up so he did his little fall thing.  It's really funny,  he actually stands up and then Plopps down.  (Its the worst when your in deep sleep)  Anyways, when he started his little routine I sprayed him and told him quiet.  He would stop for about 10 minutes and start again.  So for the next two days I was up spraying Spazz and saying quiet.  After the first day all i have to do is reach up towards the bottle and he would stop.  Now he is back to waiting until i get up.  even on the weekends when i sleep till about 0800 he will chill and wait for me.     

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 11:32:22 am »
My dogs aren't crated, but Max went through the same thing.  Jake sleeps with me in bed, Max sleeps in bed for part of the night and then gets on the floor, when he gets hot.  Hubby comes home between 6 and 6:30 from work.  When he comes home the dogs go out.  They were find with that for months.  Max started whining and licking my face earlier and earlier in the morning, before hubby got home.  The first few times, I let them out.  They did their thing.  Finally, I said enough.  When I heard him up and about, I turned towards the center of the bed and pulled the cover over my head.  He tried and tried to get me to move, but I stayed perfectly still.  After a week, he quit.  He then tried it on hubby on the weekends.  He would get up with him and let them out.  I laughed at him everytime for falling for it.  Finally about a month ago, Joe quit and would just turn over.  After a few attempts, Max gave up.  Now he sleeps til one of us is up.  If you give in, you are teaching her to whine or act up to get her way.  Don't let her win.  If she checks out at the vet, let her whine or whatever til you are ready to get up.  Move her to another room, if you have to, but make her wait on you.  It is just like a kid whining in the store for candy.  If you give in to shut them up, they won and they learned that whining gets them what they want and they do it more.  She is just pushing to see what she can get.  Good luck.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats