Author Topic: Calcium Deposits and Dental Cleanings  (Read 2419 times)

dohertyswissy

Calcium Deposits and Dental Cleanings
« on: January 02, 2008, 01:36:29 pm »
A little while ago, I noticed a pretty significant calcium deposit on Ranger's very back tooth.  I called the vet, who I love, and he told me to try to pop it off with a dental tool that I could find at the local pet store.  If that didn't work, he'd take a look at it when Ranger came in a few weeks later.

I tried to pop it off, but the thing would not budge.  A few pieces popped off, but Ranger's gum started bleeding and he started to get real finicky about me going into his mouth.  So, I decided I'd forego anymore attempts until the vet took a look.  I didn't want Ranger to totally turn against me going in his mouth.

Off to the vet, I showed Dr. Munn and he basically told me thing was a barnacle and that anything that touched that tooth was going to irritate his gum.  Explains why Ranger has avoided putting anything on that side of his mouth. 

The only option at this point was a professional cleaning. Dr. Munn said that on a scale of 1-5, 5 being the worse, Ranger was about at a 3.  He went on for the next 20 minutes to explain what the procedure would be and answer any questions.

Basically, Ranger is put under local anestheia for 40 minutes.  Prior to the procedure, Dr. Munn runs a series of tests (optional, but I'm opting I think, about $45.00 extra) to ensure that all the organs are functioning at a healthy rate before administering anesthia.  Dr. Munn does the procedure himself and a vet tech monitors heart rate and oxygen levels throughout.  In addition, they keep Ranger there for an 6-8 hours after the procedure to ensure that he is okay after coming out of anesthia.  Dr. Munn told me that he only does 2 surgical procedures a day (he considers dental surgical b/c of the anesthia), so that he can personally be involved in the monitoring process.

I am SOOO nervous.  I made an appointment for next Thursday and I trust Dr. Munn completely.  This is a man who left a practice b/c he didn't believe in the way animals were treated as dollars, not companions.  He even said I could stay and watch the procedure.

What do you guys think?  Have you had this done to your pups before?

« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 06:56:41 pm by Swissy »

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
Re: Calcuim Deposits and Dental Cleanings
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 01:56:18 pm »
Oh my gosh. I wish I had your vet. That Dr. seems amazing. Anyone that would let you stay and watch the procedure being done, definitely gets an A+++ in my book.

One of my dogs that stays with my mom (a family dog), has had this procedure done before. She was 12 years old too! We were all so nervous since she was such an old girl and made sure to get the preop bloodwork done. Everything came out ok so they did the procedure. They also had to pull numerous teeth since we got this girl when she was 10 and had never had her teeth cleaned before. It went really well, and her breath smelled MUCH better ;D

It sounds like Ranger will be in very good hands. Of course you are nervous, but after it's all over, you'll be glad you did it. For Ranger. :)
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 02:39:07 pm »
I haven't ever had Ranger's teeth cleaned (although I probably should be thinking about it now), but I used to have Cabo's teeth cleaned pretty regularly - at least until he was a bit of an older guy.  He never had any issues.

Your vet sounds amazing - I mean he has really taken the time and care to explain everything to you and make sure you understand what is going on.  The fact that he is saying that you can watch the procedure is definitely something that should give you confidence.

It is scary anytime our babies have to have any medical procedure done, especially when it involves anesthesia (ok, I can't spell that), but I think in this case it is worth it.  Those teeths have got to get clean!  The Roo will be much happier and healthier when it is done...
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 03:46:57 pm »
Stoli my springer had a similar procedure - I did opt for the tests (and I must say $45 is very reasonable ours was more and that was probably 10 years ago).  She did fine she was probably about 7 years old.

Harley is going to the vet next week and I'm sure she will suggest he has his teeth done she mentioned in last time but I didn't think the tartar was that bad I'm sure it will be worse now.

Randy

dohertyswissy

Re: Calcium Deposits and Dental Cleanings
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 06:57:30 pm »
Modified b/c I can't spell calcium.  :D

Thanks everybody.  I'm still uber-worried, but I think it is just gonna be that way until this whole thing is over with...