Author Topic: Newfie behavorial problems  (Read 3199 times)

Offline punchmd

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Newfie behavorial problems
« on: January 13, 2008, 03:21:14 pm »
New to this, bit here goes.  My Newfie is 11 months, and full of "piss & Vinegar".  We somehow got the only Type A Newfie around.  We have tried obience classes and a persoanl trainer.  Any thoughts on how to socialize him better with strangers in the house?  Just around us, he is great and meek. I realize that the bread is extremely devoted to the family, and will protect, but this is getting out of hand!!

Thanks for your help.

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Newfie behavorial problems
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 09:43:12 pm »
i definately have to say i agree with melissakins... 11 months is still young, and they will act up.  but now is definately the time to deal with it, and try to work on the basic sit, stay, down, leave it skills.  just reinforce everything! and make sure that if people are coming over you take him for a good walk.  i've always heard, an exercised dog is a happy dog!  What are some of the behaviors?  is he aggressive?

Good luck!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 05:06:31 pm »
Hi and welcome to BPO!!  My name is Stephanie and I am mom to 8 yr old Magic the Black Lab, and 1 year old Sierra the Newf.  The rest of my zoo is listed below with the exception of my 3 children.  LOL!

I read your post and let me tell you, I hear ya!  As I said, Sierra is one year old on Jan 24th and we are still having issues with her behavior.  She is a loveable sweet dog who would rather be with people than play with other dogs, but she is still in this never ending fearful period where she barks madly at anyone who comes in.  She also needs to learn how to behave in public and around strangers.  I've begun taking her on almost daily trips to places like Superpetz where I can take her in the store.  I bring her favorite treats and we practice our obedience.  I've found that along the leash wall is a nice open space to practice heeling   ;D  I also have a pocketfull of treats everywhere I go with her and I offer to let people pet her and give her treats to have her associate strangers with getting good stuff.

I am still waiting for Sierra to get outgrow her puppy energy and I try to nip bad habits in the bud.  I put my trust in my fellow BPOers who have had much more experience with Newfs than I've had.  Thye haven't steered me wrong yet.

So when do we get to see pictures of your boy???  And what is his name?
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 05:39:21 pm »
Heeee!  I still love that picture too, I never get tired of seeing her proud little face sayin' "welcome home Momma, look I helped redecorate!"
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline punchmd

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 12:27:46 am »
Thank y'all for all the info and support.  We are trying the tricks mentioned abou meeting folks in the house while on the leash until he calms down.

As far as agressiveness, he does want to be the "alpha" male, and has been know to snap at my wife and I, when trying to corrent him.  He never breaks the skin, but the teeth hurt regardless.  95% of the time, he is a great loveable dog.  Its the other 5% when we have guests over, or a repairman is in the house, that he becomes possesed.