Author Topic: Visiting with your Big Paw.....  (Read 7196 times)

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Visiting with your Big Paw.....
« on: January 02, 2008, 03:22:36 pm »
We often take Bodhi with us when we visit my family.  I come from a long line of animal lovers, so they adore him.  He is an angel when he visits....just lays on the floor looking handsome, is gentle with the kids, only mooches food politely from a distance.  The only "bad" things he does is belch and drool, lol.  I follow him around with paper towels to clean up the slime, and my family squeals about how gross it is but they laugh and keep hugging him!

My husband's family is a different story.  They don't DISlike animals....the y just prefer to admire them from a distance.  We took Bodhi there a couple times when he was a baby.  He was an angel with them, too....then one visit when he was only 18 weeks old he drank out of the toilet....and my mother-in-law banished him from the house.  Give me a break....we had just arrived after an hour in the car, there was no water bowl out for him yet, he was thirsty, the toilet lid was up, what dog won't take a drink from it?  It's not like he crapped on the couch, lol. 

In any case....Bodhi hasn't been to her house since then, but she invited us to spend New Year's Eve with her (my father-in-law has since passed away and she didn't want to be alone).  We agreed, and asked if we could bring Bodhi with us.  She reluctantly agreed. 

I was a little on edge thinking this might be the one time he acted up....but pretty certain he would be fine and anxious to show her how good he could be.  Unfortunately, I didn't stop to think about how her house is....small rooms filled with furniture and delicate knick knacks.  Not a great place for Bodhi The Bull in a China Shop, lol.  I snuck around and slyly pushed things out of the way so he wouldn't knock them over.  Then I saw that she had all kinds of cheese, crackers and candies out on the kitchen counter for us to nibble on.  And Bodhi can counter surf on all fours, lol.  So I had to put that stuff away.  Then we ordered pizza.  Bodhi was very good and sat patiently waiting for a piece of crust...and dripped drool all over her newly upholstered hassock.  She said she would have to have it cleaned....I knew the drool would dry and disappear....a nd when it finally did I made a big deal out of pointing out that you couldn't even tell where it had been. 

After a couple hours she seemed to see that he was being good....he was lying by her chair and she reached down to give him a pat....and of course that made my friendly Newfie happy and he got up to interact with her some more....and slobbered all over the arm of her blouse.  Oh, sh!t.  LOL!  I got a paper towel and dabbed it off.  She laughed and seemed okay, and told him "Silly Slobber Dog!"....so he went up to make friends with her again...and let loose with a huge belch right in her face.  I couldn't help it....my nerves got the best of me....I cracked up.  She looked at me like I was crazy. She knows that I *HATE* belching, and can barely stop myself from smacking any person who does it in my presence.....b ut I kept laughing and told her, "He's a DOG....he doesn't know any better!". 

All in all, I think the evening went pretty well.  I was exhausted by the time we left....but Bodhi didn't break anything, did his business outside, and didn't drink out of the toilet.  Having 6 dogs, I know there isn't much more you can ask for, lol.  But I'll bet my mother-in-law spent an hour cleaning after we left, lol. 

Do any of you have family or friends like this?  Have you ever taken your BP to their house and been filled with tension??
Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Visiting with your Big Paw.....
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 03:39:05 pm »
It sounds like Bodhi is winning her over.  We have a similar issue with my husbands Mom and families; she also lost her husband this year so The kids, Harley and I went to her house early on Christmas eve to keep her company, she has  been complaining alot lately because we haven't been there since April she only lives about 1 1/2 hours away but my kids play sports, go to religious school and honestly it is stressful to bring Harley there.  Same basic thing the house isn't big clumsy dog proof, my niece and nephew don't like dogs and are very vocal about it.

So she told everyone we were coming and they would have to deal but I do find it stressful worrying that he will steal food or be nervous if we want to run some errands and he may destroy something, but he was good.

The funny thing is my husband and kids make fun of me because if someone belches I get all out of sorts and make them say excuse me, tell them to cover their mouth etc.  But Harley Belches LOUD and I just laugh they think it is so unfair!!

Hopefully with a few more good visits both Bodhi and Harley will be welcome guests!

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 04:22:10 pm »
hahahah that Bodhi, what a guy! how can anyone not love that face, drool, burps, and all!!!
I dont take my dogs to visit family often anymore, zero is very impatient and hates waiting, and i will keep him leashed because he WILL mark in other peoples houses. I Used to take Memphis to my grandmas, but he counter surfs, and since she is old, she always forgets and leaves the margrine out, or something, and i feel bad that he takes it. Reba is sneaky and will sneak away to pee/poo in the house, so i dont really take her places other than my moms, because my mom adores her *and the rest of my crew*. and Jigsaw is too bull headed. But, i will tell you this story...
Darcy and I went to ottawa for an over night trip with my mom. So, i had nobody to let the dogs out, feed them, etc. since my mom was coming, i asked my auntie deb. and she adores memphis so - hey why not. Anyways, i get home the next day, my floors are COVERED, and i mean from one end of the house to the other *front door to back door* covered in mud, salt and clay *mud from boots, clay from the kitty litter we use on the stairs and salt from the roads* all mushed into my nice hardwood floors. grrr. Now, if thats not bad, my mom gave my aunt some money to let the dogs out, even though she lives 2 houses away from me. and my aunt called me to appologise for the floor. claimed she tried to clean it, and im thinking with what, a dry mop? anyways, she complained that Zero wouldnt listen to her, that he wanted to stay outside for over a half hour. ( ok, so its +1 outside, yes, we have 3ft of snow and its a nice day! let him stay out side, geez...) So she said she called my uncle *her husband* to come get zero in. he is this tiny little man, and she had him go outside chase zero around and carry him up the stairs into the house!!! omg. i cant believe she'd do that! Anyways, she said she came over at about 1 or 2am *after her coffee run* with my little cousin, and she said my cousin was playing with zero... Ok cool. She claimed reba would climb on the tables in the kitchen (where she IS NOT ALLOWED) and she would eat the cat food. She also claimed my cats had no food, and so she brought over some whiskas for them. Ok. well, i have a HUGE self feeder on my table, full of cat food the day i left. the food lasts at least 3 days with our 4 cats... and we have a huge bucket of food under the table.  ::) our cats are on prescription c/d so they dont get crystals in their pee.  anyways- now that ive rambled on. I saw my cousin online, and said that i heard she played with zero, and asked if she had fun. she says "no" i said "why not" she says "he bit me and he scares the heck out of me" i said "why does he scare you" she said "he is the type of dog who would rip your face off without even thinking about it"  :o ok. now, that made me really upset. and i continued, "why would zero bite you. did you have his ball? did you scare him. loud noises freak him out" she says "well maybe when i was putting food in his bowl" ok. whatever, i said, "its not a bite unless theres blood" and she totally stopped talking to me. because zero will play bite, and he doesnt mean too, im sure all  you big paw owners know what a big paw nibble feels like. LOL and you wouldnt call it a bite either!  anyways, so i was talking to my aunt again lastnight who said that zero bit my cousin because my cousin tried to grab his ball. well, she always bugs to come over and play Guitar hero and nintendo wii, too bad, shes not alowed here anymore, if shes going to be a total witch about my dogs and make up lies...  >:(
ugh. Oh and darcys family hates our dogs also, not just one, but ALL of them. lol
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 06:55:40 pm »
However, on a side note, If they come to my house and the dog slimes them, or belches on them or sits on them and farts, too bad.( all of which has happened to various guests) If you come to my house, find a sense of humor or GO HOME.
Stella

Exactly. its their home, if you want to be in 'their' home, you let them do what they want, even if its slopping all over your nice new 200$ outfit, or "gassing" on you or in your face.  ;D
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 07:47:36 pm »
I am laughing my head off right now.  I don't take my dogs to anyone elses house unless it is to do a home visit for a rescue group.  It is just not worth the hassle.  It is bad enough to walk into a home for a home visit and find little glass figurines decoratively placed on a glass coffee table, with a leather couch and chair, huge high $$$$$ telescope sitting on a tripod in the floor, glass vases placed in various areas on the floor with fake flowers in them, candy dishes full of candy on coffee or end tables, decorative tables well stocked with liquor in glass decanters or bottles, etc.  I have seen all of this in prospective homes for Great Pyrenees.  Are you kidding me? You want me to let Jake off his leash?  Are you nuts? Have you ever seen one of these dogs in person, or only pictures?  I can't afford to replace any of this stuff. As was mentioned earlier in this post, too must stress for me and them.  Not worth it.  My hubby, however, takes them, one at a time, to his sister's house.  She loves them, doesn't have any of her own anymore, since it is just too much of a hassle, but she does love mine.  He also takes them to visit 2 of our neighbor's homes.  One of them still talks about Max walking in and drinking out of a bowl in her kitchen sink.  "He was just standing there, flat footed, drinking out of it.  I couldn't believe it and had to take a picture."  She is so funny.  I on the other hand take them to the bookstore, Petsmart, park, etc.  I totally agree with others, though.  My home, their home, deal with whatever they do when you are a guest here.  They live here.  I will set a table in another room for my grandkids to eat, away from the dogs, when they are here.  My hubby has totally ruined our dogs, when it comes to eating at our kitchen table.  They will not bother me or my food, but they will pester anyone else to death, because he feeds them from his plate.  I have tried to make him stop, but no luck.  They know when I say Back Off, I mean it.  I use my kitchen table to roll out pie crusts, lay out divinity to cool, stack trays of cookies to cool, frost cakes, peel and slice apples for pies, etc.  I cannot have them walking up and helping themselves and I don't want them laying their heads on the table and drooling on it, when I am trying to get something done.  He just doesn't get the concept of saying no and meaning it.  It is funny though, when he makes his own sandwich for work, Max tries his best to steal the bread, cheese and meat.  Joe has to fight him the whole time he is making it.  Then he gets mad, looks at me and yells "How do you deal with this?"  I look really smug and reply "I don't have to.  He knows better."  Oh well, start out like you mean to go.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline jagersmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 08:15:21 pm »
Like Jo, I rarely take my dogs to anyone's house. Too many years of fighting the predjudices just made me tired. It is their house and if the pups are not welcome there then so be it. And even if they are welcome and the place is just too fragile, I stress out, and they stress out, no thanks.We go to petsmart and out to the forest preserves for walks, and even go for an occasional Starbucks, and they are just as happy. However, on a side note, If they come to my house and the dog slimes them, or belches on them or sits on them and farts, too bad.( all of which has happened to various guests) If you come to my house, find a sense of humor or GO HOME.
Stella

SO very true. Deal with the drool, gas, belching, toe-stepping, foot-sitting-on, and laugh about it or go home.

I haven't taken Jager to anyone elses home but we all know how Petsmart goes with him.  ::) I have to keep walking about the park when I take him otherwise he's just as content laying in the mud. He can do that at home! Ugh. Dogs!  ;) :D
Dogs laugh.... by wagging their tails

Annette, mother to:

Jagermeister - Bullmastiff
Bacardi - DSH terror cat

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 11:11:35 pm »
I love this thread!

Kathy, I have the exact same problem here with my hubby.  I don't feed the dogs from my plate so they don't even bother to "ask" me, but they turn the biggest, saddest, begging-ish eyes on him (and to one of our sons) and the guys cave every darn time.  He's a hopeless mushball with them.   ;D  ::)

Tina, I would LOVE your hubby's grandma, she sounds wonderful! 

My parents are wonderful with our pups, so that's never been a problem.  When we had to have Halley PTS my mom spent hours with me by phone crying our eyes out.  My in-laws (MIL passed away a few yrs ago) have always been sweet to our dogs, but were more inclined to cats & small dogs, so they really couldn't understand what I'd done to talk their sensible son into having furry moose running loose in the house.  LOL  We don't live near any of our family anymore so the biggest family issue looming is that my FIL wants to fly up to visit us (sigh).  Since he's in his 80's, I rather doubt that he'd enjoy an energetic household like ours for 2 weeks straight, so I'm lobbying for making him comfy in a hotel, but hubby thinks that his dad will be offended.  Thank you all, I'll add this thread to my list of arguements in favor of the hotel.   ;)  ;D
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 11:14:58 pm by GoldenPyrs »
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 12:14:53 am »
Visit people heck,my visitors majorly declined at my own house when I got the boys.I figure it's their loss.Tub goes to visit at the Vets once a month,he will pull like crazy until he is the door with all his tech friends.Both boys are welcome anytime at a local big truck garage,but since they won't both fit in my car anymore we don't get out much anymore.
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 02:12:45 pm »
I totally agree with others, though.  My home, their home, deal with whatever they do when you are a guest here.  They live here. 

Me too!  Perhaps that's why we don't have many guests, HAHA! We are friends with one couple that I love to hang out with.  They have about 10 animals of their own, she does rescue and nothing phases her.  The first time I was at their house I saw dog and cat hair in her refrigerator.  The last time she was here she plopped down on the floor amongst the dogs and took her own hairbrush out of her purse and started grooming them.  I think she is my soulmate. LOL!

My grandfather is wonderful, too.  He is an fiesty 86 year old coot (who I love completely beyond reason).  He pets and talks to the animals constantly, but can't remember their names (he calls Bodhi "Bozo"....which is actually quite fitting, lol).  Bodhi stomps on his arthritic feet, tries to climb in his lap, and drools all over him.  My grandfather puts on his Grumpy Act and huffs, "What the h*ll's the matter with this dog? He SPIT on me!".....but 30 seconds later is calling "Come here, Bozo!" again.  He is a hoot!
Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 02:34:27 pm »
Oh, I feel lucky after reading this thread!! My dad and step mom, who we now live near since we moved to California,are really nice about Tani and we have no problems. Tani is very good, and doesn't get into trouble, so that helps! And my inlaws? Never see 'em!! It's great! My mother in law and her doddering husband have been banished from our lives by my husband (loooong story). My father in law and his wife used to visit us occasionally in Florida, and brought their little paw with them. Hubby has taken Tani to visit his sister in Georgia, and she has two Weims, so that was totally cool. All in all, I have nothing to complain about! Some of those stories are too funny, though. I'm sorry that Bohdi's visit was tense, but it sounds like it went ok. Maybe next time (if there is a next time) will be smoother. Jo, your story is crazy! I'd be livid! How incredibly rude to leave your house trashed like that, and talk smack about the puppies!!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 10:36:10 pm »
Kali goes lots of places with us. If she's welcome she usually goes if we don't have other places to go. Her favorite is my grandmother's house as she spoils her rotten and her former dog hid bones throughout the house so Kali is still finding them. Our other grandma let her in a few times even though she is houseproud and she's spoiled there too though there is a doll there that Kali will sit and bark at since she's convinced it's possessed. She also goes to our friends houses and the clinic too.

We don't get too many visitors as Lacey is aggressive and needs to be leashed or locked away.  Those that do visit have to be prepared to be drooled on and harassed by the newf though sometimes we do put her away too as she'll sit and bark at people if they ignore her.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Edwpang

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 02:47:28 pm »
This is a great thread.  :)
We rarely visit any friends' home with Butter, and the few occasion was when he was a small puppy. Now he's getting too "big" for our friends. He does enjoy going to Petsmart and other pet stores so much that he gets very excited when he sees similar buildings inside a mall.
As for visitors, we had quite some friends coming to us during the holiday season. As usual, he got excited when they just arrived. So we put him in separate room, and let him cool down He was much better, though he followed those who had snacks in their hand, and was successful in getting quite some treats with his sad yet enticing looks and waging tails. He vomited twice one night because of this, and what  made it worse is he took the vomited food right away. This totally disgusts our friends. :o They don't understand why we still let him lick us after it.  :)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 09:20:16 pm »
Woo hoo!  Shine, did you start this thread for me??   ;D ;D
I cannot bring Sierra into my in-laws house.  They live right next door so Sierra will follow us when we walk over and then wonder why she isn't allowed in.  Poor baby.  She gets the saddest look on her face.  Then she takes off to go find trouble.  She used to be allowed in but that was when she was a tiny 20 lbs.  My MIL doesn't mind her much, except that Sierra licks her legs.  She's more of a cat person though.  My FIL hates her for no apprent reason.  She cannot ever do anything right and as soon as he hears her name, he starts in about what a horrible dog she is.  If I try to point out the things she is improving on, he just points out things she does wrong.  When I try to explain that she is still a puppy, he just says  "yeah, yeah, that's what you always say.  Is that going to be anexcuse for the rest of her life?"  He refers to her as "the black devil down at my house".  When I talk about the things I'd like to do with her like therapy, obedience, draft and water work.  He just starts laughing and says she'll never behave enough to do that stuff and it's just a pipe dream.  He won't come to our house unless he has to because the dog bothers him so much.

As for everyone else, I always ask if I can bring her with me visiting.  She is welcome at my dad's house and also at my sister's, my aunt's and a few friends.  I haven't asked anyone else if I can bring her...
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 10:42:57 pm »
OK, pardon my post, but Newly Newfed, your FIL needs a bully stick up his @ss!!!!!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 10:53:53 pm »
OK, pardon my post, but Newly Newfed, your FIL needs a bully stick up his @ss!!!!!
BHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)