Author Topic: Red eyes  (Read 5091 times)

Offline slsulvn

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Red eyes
« on: January 02, 2008, 06:39:07 pm »
My husband and I rescued 2 dumped black lab pups in mid October. They have both doubled in size since. The larger male has large clumps of hair falling out on his neck/chest area and his under-eyelids are blood red. Is this a normal characteristic of labradors? I'm new to the breed so I have no clue. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Nicole

Re: Red eyes
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 06:40:46 pm »
Well, the red eye thing sounds like cherry eye to me. Its an easily correctable condition, but requires surgery. Not normal for labs. Do you think they're pure-bred? Its more commonly seen in Danes, Mastiffs, Bloodhounds, etc.

The hair falling out could be a number of things.

Have you had these pups to the vet?

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 06:42:14 pm »
Welcome! Those pups got super lucky  ;D
I would thing that large clumps of hair falling out would not be a characteristic of any breed but Pyrs, LOL! Are you sure they are labs  ;)
I think you should take him to the vet
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 06:43:21 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline slsulvn

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 06:43:24 pm »
Yes, we have been to the vet for shots, worming, etc., but I can't get them back in for at least another week. He is on a fishing trip. I have heard of cherry eye, but this doesn't seem like that. His eyelids are saggy, and just blood red in all the tissue. He doesn't act like he hurts or it affects his vision in any way, I just wasn't sure what to make of it.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 06:44:56 pm »
Yes, we have been to the vet for shots, worming, etc., but I can't get them back in for at least another week. He is on a fishing trip. I have heard of cherry eye, but this doesn't seem like that. His eyelids are saggy, and just blood red in all the tissue. He doesn't act like he hurts or it affects his vision in any way, I just wasn't sure what to make of it.
Maybe he is allergic to something over there...in water, grass?
Mary W. Crane

Offline SadieA

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 06:45:55 pm »
Well I'm no vet, but my Bernese pup had something like that, and it turned out just to be allergies/eye irritation. The vet gave me eye drops to put in, and it gradually cleared up.

Welcome!

Offline slsulvn

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 06:46:30 pm »
Yes, the vet said they were definitely labs, most likely purebred. We spoke with the office personnel of the area where the dogs were dumped. She told us there were initially 5 pups that they returned numerous times and that the owners finally left the area without any of them. There was a gentleman in our group who breeds labs and he also confirmed they were labs.

Nicole

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 06:46:58 pm »
Hmm...well, I'm not an expert on labs. Have you done a google image search for cherry eye? See if any of those photos look like your guys?

As far as the clumps of hair go, it could be a zillion things. Mange, food allergies, environmental allergies, flea allergies, etc.

What are you feeding them?

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 06:51:05 pm »
Yes, the vet said they were definitely labs, most likely purebred. We spoke with the office personnel of the area where the dogs were dumped. She told us there were initially 5 pups that they returned numerous times and that the owners finally left the area without any of them. There was a gentleman in our group who breeds labs and he also confirmed they were labs.
I was joking around  :-*
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 06:51:25 pm by People Whisperer »
Mary W. Crane

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 10:08:20 pm »
Ectropion maybe?