Author Topic: Chocolate Poisoning  (Read 2813 times)

Offline opera_caity

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Chocolate Poisoning
« on: January 02, 2008, 10:43:40 pm »
Hi, I'm not sure if anyone can help me, but today my Pointer/Springer cross ate just over half a box (about 12) Belgian chocolate seashells.  He is about 60 pounds, 5 years old, and in good health.  He's drank his entire bowl of water and has been outside twice in the past hour.  I have no idea how much theobromine is in this kind of chocolate, but he ate about 150g of it. 

I hope someone can help.  Thank you.

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Chocolate Poisoning
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 10:51:28 pm »
Are the Chocolate sea shells dark or milk chocolate, milk chocolate although still very bad for a dog, it is not as toxic as dark chocolate.  Call your emergency vet right away anyways, because that is still alot for a dog like that to ingest, but I wouldn't panic if it's not dark chocolate. 
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 12:05:03 am »
If your pup ate 150g of chocolate that is about 5.3 oz. I found this information on a website:

On average,
Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.
Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.
Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.

Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:
1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate
1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate
1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.

Also, I think these chocolates are filled with something? If so, that means it's not 5.3 oz of pure chocolate. Even if it was baker's chocolate, (which I highly doubt), and pure chocolate, 9 pounds of body weight per ounce would equal about 50 pounds, which means your pup should be ok. There may be some diarrhea, but other than that he should be ok. Definitely make sure he stays hydrated.

I would still call the vet maybe, just to ease your mind. After all, I'm just some random girl on the internet that doesn't have the greatest math skills. ::)
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline opera_caity

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 12:38:23 am »
Thanks for all of the input!  He seems to be doing okay.  The chocolate seashells are milk chocolate, and do have a filling.  So it should be okay, he's drank quite a bit of water now and had some supper.  He seems fine though.

Thanks again to everyone who replied so quickly!

Offline Jeri

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 04:02:27 am »
Please see this article. My Dane just did the same thjing too, lol.  Scares you to death.  Hope your baby is fine.  Mine is,
jeri
http://www.danes.org.uk/choc.htm