Author Topic: Canidae dog food  (Read 18267 times)

Lyn

Canidae dog food
« on: July 28, 2005, 04:48:01 pm »
I'm on the hunt for an alternative kibble for Bubba. At least one that compares with Solid Gold ingredient wise but is made with chicken or turkey instead. I came across Canidae and it doesn't look too bad at all. But they do not make a large breed puppy food, it's for all life stages instead.

I'm just wondering if anyone uses Canidae or has used it with a large breed pup and what there results have been?

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: Canidae dog food
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 05:12:22 pm »
Canidae was my first choice for Samson...But, as you mentioned, they do not make a food specifically for large breeds & it does not contain the glucosamine stuff that helps with hips & joints...I went to Premium Edge Lamb & Rice instead...I am still gravitating towards the Canidae though...The ingridients list is awesome!...I might go to it eventually anyway & just add the glucosamine... My friend sells pet supplies & she says the Canidae is a really good food....But, for large breed dogs & puppies...I'm not sure.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 05:58:26 pm »
I feed wellness by Old Mother Hubbard (one of the few other dog foods that use all human grade ingredients), but I have heard really good things about candae. Like Candae, wellness does not make a large breed formula - I suppliment with '4-9 liquid health' glucosamine/chondroitine/msm. Next time I am looking to switch foods, candae is going to be on my short list of ones to consider
RIP former BPO

Lyn

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 07:10:56 pm »
I'd rather not have to add any supplements. So it looks like I'll have to scratch the Canidae for now. Hmmm, are there any other large breed puppy foods that even compare to Solid Gold? I'm beginning to think not and I'm searching my butt off here. ???

BabsT

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 07:17:10 pm »
Canidae is on of the top foods out there...I would highly recommend it

Zero was on dog food for a short time until I swithc to just all raw and he did very well on it

The amount of glucosamine that is added to dog food is minimal so I wouldnt bank on it being all the beneficial

There are 2 GREAT sites on dog food

http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/

http://www.i-dog.com/board/messages/46/253.html?1122597869

Good Luck

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 07:27:21 pm »
Can I ask you what it is specifically that is drawing you to 'large breed' food rather than regular food? Is it just the inclusion of joint supplements? Because I just checked, and even solid gold doesn't list gluc in the ingredient list of it's large breed food. Ironically, wellness, which I feed and already stated didn't include gluc, actually does! I just reread the ingredients - it turns out that I just forgot it was there because we choose to supplement anyways (she has already been diagnosed with HD and we have spoken to the vet about the supplements).

I wouldn't rule out candae just because it doesn't include supplements. But you should also check out wellness since they do include it in their chicken super5mix and their lamb super5mix. http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/dogs/wellness_overview.html
RIP former BPO

Lyn

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 08:14:34 pm »
Or the FROMM brands of food. Which look pretty good also. http://www.petacular.com/products/Fromm-Four-Star-30.html

Well crap now I have too many choices. I went from none to 3. LOL

OH OH OH... Lookie what I found. """"Canidae Platinum contains Glucosamine and Chondroitin for the hips and joints"""

Guaranteed Analysis - Platinum:

Crude Protein - (min) - 18.50%

Crude Fat - (min) - 8.50%

Crude Fiber - (max) - 4.00%

Moisture - (min) - 10.00%

Linoleic Acid (Omega-6) - (min) - 2.60%

Linolenic Acids (Omega-3) - (min) - 0.60%

Vitamin E - (min) - 500.00 IU/KG

Glucosamine HCL(*) - (min) - 525.00 mg/kg

Chondroitin Sulfate* - (min) - 425.00 mg/kg

Amylase* - (min) - BAU/ lb (1.81 BAU/kg)

Cellulase** - (min) - 0.25CMC units/lb (0.11CMC units/kg)

Protease*** - (min) - 24 HUT/lb (10.8 HUT/kg)

Saccharomyces Cerevisiae~ (min) - 100,000 CFU/lb (45,360 CFU/kg)

Lactobacillus Acidophilus~ (min) - 100,000,000 CFU/lb (45,360,000 CFU/kg)

Enterococcus Faecium~ (min) - 70,000,000 CFU/lb (31,752,000 CFU/kg)

370 ME kcals/cup. 3450 ME kcal/kg
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 08:20:21 pm by Lyn »

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 08:21:19 pm »
If HD is what you are worried about, I highly recommend that you switch to adult food instead of puppy food. We have consulted with surgeons about zoey because of her hips and the way they explained it to us, the number one thing you can do to try and protect your saint from HD pain is to 'grow them slowly'. They will ultimately end up the same adult weight, but the longer it takes them to get their, the slower their hips will form and the better their chances with HD pain in the future. By slowing down growth now you can reduce the pain and effects of HD that they will feel in the future. The way you do this is to feed adult food instead of puppy food, make sure you are not over feeding, and monitor their weight to keep them at a healthy weight.
RIP former BPO

Lyn

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 08:46:44 pm »
Thanks all. I think I will just go with the Canidae. If it comes down to it, I'll just add the supplement. The Canidae Platinum has gluc but it's for senior dogs. I missed that, my bad.

I'll just get a small bag for now and start the switch slowly and hope that the loose stools start to disappear. If not we will go back to the vet.

BabsT

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 08:49:54 pm »
You can always give a Vit C supplement.  It wont harm in the least because it is water soluable.  Whatever your pup doesnt absorb he will just get rid of it in it's urine

By the way..beautiful dog you got there :)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2005, 08:51:49 pm »
Is Bubba on Solid Gold now?  I have had Sugar Bear (Great Pyrenees) on it for about 30-45 days.  His stool will be fine for a few days and then back to very loose.  I went from Nurto to Solid Gold.  I use to add cottage cheese so I stoped that thinking that was the problem. Still the same loose stool.  Sugar Bear will only eat about 2-2 1/2 cups of it a day, so I dont think over feeding is an issue.  I have also cut done on the number of chicken jerkey treat he gets.  What are your top choices of food?

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2005, 08:55:28 pm »
I have had Sugar Bear (Great Pyrenees) on it for about 30-45 days.  His stool will be fine for a few days and then back to very loose.  I went from Nurto to Solid Gold.  I use to add cottage cheese so I stoped that thinking that was the problem. Still the same loose stool.  Sugar Bear will only eat about 2-2 1/2 cups of it a day, so I dont think over feeding is an issue.  I have also cut done on the number of chicken jerkey treat he gets. 

When Zoey was on solid gold, she had loose stool issues too. We would add rice sometimes and they were the only times that she didn't have super super mushy stools. She also had wicked bad gas back then. After we switched off solid gold the squishy poops and gas went away.
RIP former BPO

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2005, 08:57:26 pm »
Sanity was on and is on Canidae from the time I brought him home.  It's the only thing that put weight on him at all.  I didn't supplement him either.  If you're interested Solid Gold has an alternative protien food for Giant breeds now, Wolf King and it's made with Bison and Salmon
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2005, 05:27:52 am »
We switched to Canidae All Life Stages from the Nutro Large Breed Puppy Controlled Growth formula based on the recommendation of lots of people from Newf.net (lower protien and better ingredients).  Bava has done much better on the Canidae than he did on the Nutro, his poops were never very solid on the Nutro.  I think they've changed the formula on the Nutro and it's lots of filler and stuff now.  Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul looks to be almost exactly like the Canidae All Life Stages based on the info on the back.  We're also giving glucosamine and Condrotin(sp) supplements as cheap insurance.

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Lyn

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2005, 10:56:15 am »
DixieSugarBear, That is the exact problem Bubba is having. More loose stools that solid ones though. And gas.. omg it's horrible.

Anky, Bubba is eating the Wolfcub.. basically the same ingredients as the WolfKing. Bison and salmon. I think it's the salmon that is giving Bubba the loose stools. I tried NRG once, for his lunch meal.. but I bought the salmon one. It went straight through him. So I'm hoping to try something chicken or turkey this time.

I phoned both pet food stores that are local to me (sucks living in the boonies) and neither can get Canidae.  :( So I don't know what to get now. The one store recommended Dick van pattens Natural balance, but I've passed by that one already more than once. Can't get Artemis either. The other store recommended Ultra but I didn't catch the brand. He told me to come in and look around that they have alot of different holistic kibbles.

I'm out of the wolfcub too now go figure so now I need to buy a bag of that and a bag of new stuff. I'm going to be broke. LMAO But that's nothing new. :P