Author Topic: NDR - Does anyone have an elliptical machine?  (Read 5689 times)

k2campbell

NDR - Does anyone have an elliptical machine?
« on: January 03, 2008, 04:33:31 am »
We are thinking of getting one...

I'm supposed to be getting the go ahead from my doc to start being able to excersize by the end of January, hopefully!  ::) Anyhow, I don't like working out at the gym, I love to run (but can't here during winter in -20 C weather and ice everywhere), and treadmills are too hard on my knees. :P So...I've been researching and it sounds like an elliptical would work for me. I'm looking for a mostly cardio workout and something I can do a few days a week for 30-45 mins... I was at a store in town the other day and tried one out for a minute or so, I think that type of workout would work for me! ;)

Anyone have one? Anyone have any input? Thanks! ;D

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: NDR - Does anyone have an elliptical machine?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 11:56:14 am »
I don't have one but I am a gym freak and have been using elleptical for 8 years now and I love it! I can't run anymore because I have bad knees so elleptical is great. It is very easy on your joints and you can adjust hight and pressure. If I had a room in my house to put it I would get one but right now hubby's weight bench takes it all  >:(
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 12:36:57 pm »
I have a Orbitrek elliptical and when in use  :-[  I love it. We also have a Bowflex, and a bike, and I'm on the lookout for a Gazelle. I think the elliptical gives you a far better workout than a bike (JMO)
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 03:13:23 pm »
Hey! I'm looking into an elliptical too!  I thought that ellipticals would burn more calories, but my friend just told me that she thought treadmills would.  Regardless, I like the total body work out thing..... What do you think?

P.S.  I'm on Day 1 of my diet, which is a NIGHTMARE at work.  I have successfully bipassed caramel popcorn, cheesecake, french fries, and cookies today!  Go me!!!!! :)

Offline YG6

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 08:16:00 pm »
I have a Bremshey Elliptical, It's good but to be honest I found the Gazelle better for weight loss.

I LOVE the Gazelle, BUT they are soooooooo poorly made.  I would go through 1 a month!  I bought mine from Walmart and they have a 3 month warranty on them so I'd just return them every month for a new one.  After a year of that nonsense I returned my last one and bought an elliptical. 

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 08:22:48 pm »
that dude selling it does even more! hehehehe

Me as well  :o
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline jagersmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 09:35:58 pm »
Thats a great pic right there!  :D

I have a NordicTrac elliptical. It takes up SO much space but it's awesome. I just started jogging on the beach in august so I'm not using it as much but I love it. Sears closeout here too!
Dogs laugh.... by wagging their tails

Annette, mother to:

Jagermeister - Bullmastiff
Bacardi - DSH terror cat

angelsmama

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 09:40:54 pm »
that dude selling it does even more! hehehehe

Me as well  :o

:D :D :D :D :D :D

WORK IT WORK IT! YOU CAN DO IT! WORK IT WORK IT!

k2campbell

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 09:49:19 pm »
OMG...everyone is cracking me up with the whole Gazelle talk...and the pic...Jenn...t o frickin' funny!!! :D :D :D ;D ;) That's one of the first things Eric said when I mentioned getting an elliptical "what about one of those Gazelle's Tony Little sells"... :D ;D :) ;)

Thanks Jenn for that website, I'll check it out for sure! Thanks everyone for all of your input. I drove into town today and picked Eric up for lunch, we went to Sears as they're having a wearhouse sale. They had a nice NordicTrack one there, unfortunately no Evo's to look at Jenn (but that may be because we're in Canada, I'll look into this a bit more to see where they're sold here) but I can't believe how many elliptical's there are out there!!! :P ::)

Costco Wholesale has some nice ones out here, but the one I like has a TV in it...and I'm guessing that's where most of the cost comes from. I'd much rather a better functioning machine than a TV! ::)

We hit a fitness equipment supply store out here and the bottom-of-the-line elliptical there ran at $2,300 YIKES!!! :o :o :o BUT they were all commercial quality (what you'd find at a gym) so that's understandable, but too expensive for us! ;)

We'll keep researching and looking...than ks all! ;D Any more info anyone has would be great too! ;D

Offline YG6

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 10:49:01 pm »
I got my elliptical from Pioneer Pools in Burlington for $799.00 last winter, I think delivery was around $40.00 but I got them to assemble it for free.  The same model is probably $200 cheaper now.  They really drop in price fast.

You really need to try before you buy though.  Of the 40+ machines I tried only 2 felt really good.  The rest were too steep or had too short a stride length for me.

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 01:13:01 pm »
 The elliptical is great, it is easier on the joints, really works the glutes, should have different workouts programmed in and as already mentioned you can work backwards as well which really amps up your workout and allows you to go longer. Nothing is a substitute to running outside as all of the machines assist motion but as someone who is running in the winter I completely understand why you don't want to do it ;) Also, as you've just had a baby, the elliptical should allow your muscles to start rebuilding with less stress and strain, so you can be ready to run outside again by spring. Enjoy.