Author Topic: How do you do it ?  (Read 2772 times)

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
How do you do it ?
« on: January 07, 2008, 07:02:57 pm »
How do you limit how many dogs you have?? I'm extremely happy with Butt and Tub,but everyday I find myself looking at Saints that need homes.I feel so bad and want to give everyone of them a home,but I know I can't.I rationalize what is one more,but that is how I ended up with 24 birds ;) Butt and Tub get along great,but I think Tub could use someone more his own age and energy level to play with.Then I'm also afraid Butt might feel left out.So how do you do it?? I know quit looking,but I can't seem to stop that.Right now my eye is on a 2 yr old male that came from a negleted home and really needs lots of love and lots of food to put some weight on.Is there a Big Paw Aholics I can join ::)
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie

Offline saintlykallismom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: How do you do it ?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 07:25:04 pm »
I don't think it can be stopped unless you have strong will power. I am constantly looking at pig paws that need rescued. I am really set on getting a 1.5 yearold saint that needs a loving home and it they want him to be in a house that has another big dog to play with, well I have just that. I wish there was a way to stop. My fiance keeps telling me no and I keep saying "I won't ask again after this one I promise" we have 2 cats and a dog and I am pushing for at least another dog. However I am trying to convince my fiance into rescueing this saint and I really want a newf. It may never end! I guess I am lucky cause I have someone telling me no. Except he caves pretty easily so the no doesn't always work.
Proud mama of:

Kalli- 6(?)month old saint bernard
Lexi- 6 mth old orange and white kitten
Franco- 5 yearold big black cat

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 09:01:06 pm »
It's pretty easy...get a hubby that doesn't want more than one  ;)  :D
I know that my will power will win one day  ;) ;D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 12:15:55 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 10:58:13 pm »
I'm with Stella--thank god we have a 3 dog city limit here..lol Anything over we need a kennel lic.
 Thats how we ended up with 3 was getting a playmate for Farley ::) We figured that Puck was older and FArley was too demanding on him--so we figured we would just get a palymate with equivalent energy. Thus we ended up with Rosie and me in a straight jacket...lol
3 is our limit for now ;) ;)

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 02:54:40 am »
I'm over my limit with two dogs and two cats who don't like dogs. I wanted to take just Thomas (cat) and Sadie (Lab) when my ex-boyfriend and I broke up (I added Riley, my Saint, afterwards as a companion for Sadie, though looking back on it, I should have gotten another rescued Lab or Lab mix due to match their activity levels and our lifestyle, but cest la vi-he's an awesome dog, plus Riley and Sadie get along very well). Thomas didn't care about dogs, so it would have worked out well with the three of them until he passed.

But I ended up taking his two brothers as well and not really by my choice. They don't like dogs, and I really think they'd do better in a home without them. My ex-bf says he can't take them (he kept two cats and chose to keep two foster cats permanently as well), but he won't let me adopt them out to family or friends who I know would make a good dog-free home for them. I've kept the peace pretty well and done what I can. Don't get me wrong-they are great social, loving cats. They just don't like the dogs all that much.

The other big point is that I really do think four pets is a lot for a house just over 1100 square feet with two adults, only one of whom is the caretaker of the pets (I rent out a bedroom and until this month rented out two rooms and had two renters); however, I think other people can be completely comfortable in similar situations. It's very individual. Also, spending what I feel I should on them (high quality food, great vet care, etc) is a stretch at this number on my income. And equally importantly, I just think that, for me, four pets is too many.

I think there are a lot of factors that come into play, and they will effect each person differently.

But then I would be okay with just Sadie and may very well just have one dog at some point in the future. I am probably in the minority here.  ???
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 03:32:42 am by macybean »

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 02:29:29 pm »
Soooooo glad to know I'm not the only one who looks at dogs that need homes even though I know I can't help them! There are really only 3 things right now that limit me from getting anymore dogss; my parents, college, and money. Once I am on my own with my own house and a bigger income and out of college, look out!  :o I know I'll definitely be adding to the pack then. I hope to have a lot of dogs then. Don't know how many that will be, but oh well. For me, it's just a matter of waiting. I can get more dogs, just not right now.  ;)
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 02:44:37 pm »
I'm one of those people that if circumstances would allow, I would have many animals to love.  But unfortunately I haven't got the money/time/resources to dedicate to more then 2 right now.  Then there's the fact that I live at home with my parents right now, and they will simply not allow any more pets.  But someday, I'd like to have about 5 Big Paws and 1 little paw.  ;) :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 10:35:26 pm »
I need to win the lottery.
I think right now I am at my limit, but really dont want to say that out loud. I dont have much, no let me rephrase that, I have NO, me time. I get up before 5 every morning and let big dogs out- come in and feed- go to the puppy room,clean up after them, feed them and give them water, take shower. Get out of shower and sit on floor and hold babies. Rush to get dressed. Then take time to sit down with each dog seperatley and give hugs and kisses. Off to work. Once home the routine starts again. I have some dogs that stay out during the day, if they want to, its up to them. Others have special needs or are trouble makers, they stay in until I get home. I then change clothes, clean puppy room, feed puppies, sit in floor and love on puppies then get up and do the rounds with the big dogs. Sometimes we all go out and play, sometimes I just sit on the porch and scratch tummies and ears and sometimes it is too cold and we light the fire and curl up in the living room...wall to wall dog.Tonight the babies were able to go out side and play with the big dogs this was great for all of us.
I am fortunate. I am not going to take on more than I can afford. I have someone here at the house most days even if I am at work and I have the support of the family members. Everyone has one or two dogs that are "thiers", these dogs get the special attention from that person.
Some of the dogs are content with less attention than the other dogs. Sometimes Tugs insists on hold me time and I hold that 100  plus pound pyr baby in the recliner.
I have no less than 2 dogs that sleep in my bed, right next to me. I have others who either sleep right beside the bed or under the nite table or in the reclinder in the bedroom. Jake occasionally will also crawl in bed with me and gets extra love me time.
One added bonus is that some of the dogs are also "paired" up and they have "dog" time. All of the Pyrenees are true guardians and take care of each other and the property.
The Pyrs have basically accepted most every Pyrenees brought into the house unconditionall y and usually the Pyrs take over in the welcoming department and help the new Pyr adjust.
I am not rich. I have a seperate bank acct called the dog account, it is anemic and in bad need of an infusion. I have an excellent vet who is not into trying to put me into the poor house.
I have my hands full- but its all about love and compassion. I love those Pyr babies with all of my heart and they have all become terroists in white fluffy clothing.
I buy about 200 pounds of dog food a week, and probably 25-50 pounds of dog cookies. I dont go to the movies or the mall. All of my dogs are vaccinated, spayed/neutered and get regular worming medication. I pay for this out of my pocket but hope that once my 501 c 3 is finalized I may be able to get some corporate donations, worst case scenario I am going to have one heck of a tax write off at the end of the year.
My last 2 groups that I took in would have been put to sleep if I had not taken them. They are all wonderful dogs and didnt deserve to die. So they are living with me for now- in the future I hope that they all find some one who will recognize how wonderful they are and will want to adopt them.
So to answer the question how do you do it? Sometimes not so well - sometimes I feel that I am failing miserably, but that is usually short lived. You just do what you have to do and know your limits, support from your family is a must wether it is one dog or ten. I have that- it makes it happen.

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 12:01:47 am »
I still look at dogs that need homes.  I still look at dogs that need to be fostered.  I know I am not in a position to have more right now.  My dogs and cats take up a lot of my free time.  They are all very self sufficient, in that they play with each other and I don't think anyone feels left out, but I could not handle another animal at this point.  Between cooking chicken and rice for their mix ins and making all their treats and biscuits, I spend a lot of time cooking for them.  Max takes a lot of extra time, due to the extra cleaning, bathing and pills.  One of the cats and at least one of the dogs sleep in the bed with me.  One dog sleeps beside the bed.  One cat sleeps in the recliner in the bedroom.  Cody sleeps in front of the kitchen door to guard the house at night.  He growls if any of the other animals even walk through the kitchen at night.  I help transport animals in FL when I can.  I do home visits for 3 different rescue groups here.  I am doing what I can to help out, but I know I am not personally in a position to do more.  I can live with that.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 08:25:50 pm »
I can't do it........lol.  I can no longer look at rescue sites, go to shelters or read posts or listen to people trying to rehome dogs.  Well......at least not frequently.... ..lol.

I know 4 is our limit, and 3 would probably work better.  I am already itching to get another dog, but know it will only be after Keiko passes and hopefully she's still got at least 4 or more years in her.  I would like to get a better matched playmate for Gunther though sizewise.  He is just too rough with Keiko........w hich is odd b/c he's so gentle with everyone else.

I am hoping when we are settled to maybe start fostering a cat or two.  I haven't told hubby yet but we'll see.  Since we are at our limit for dogs, I've started accumulating smaller, less expensive pets and I'm afraid I don't know when that will stop.

Hmmm........so I guess I didn't really answer the question as apparently I don't do it very well.......... .lol.  Every one of my animals but Gunther was a rescue....well, I guess most of the fish weren't rescued (although some were).