Author Topic: In search of an older great Dane  (Read 4064 times)

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
In search of an older great Dane
« on: January 05, 2008, 12:25:41 am »
Ok...so here is the situation. I have an elderly uncle that has always had big dogs. He and his wife always had Labs. Well their last lab passed last fall, and his wife died about 2 months ago, he is all alone. They had gotten a puppy prior to his wifes passing, but my uncle has Parkinson's disease, and this puppy was a nut. It was chewing on his leg's etc. they ended up re homing her. He really wants a dog or cat. I suggested against a cat due to their leg rubbing...I am afraid that it may trip him, same with a small dog. I am convinced that an older Dane (calmer Dane)would be the perfect choice. Even without therapy dog type training every Dane I have had will walk next to me and they could provide a bit of stability for him. Fitted with a harness, he may even be able to have the dog help him up. Thorn is very good at this stuff. My uncle is a small man..about 5' 7" or so and frail due to his disease. He does still drive to town and is able to live alone. The perk to this is he is a Lawyer, with his own firm. He has more than enough money to provide anything a dog would need (millions) he lives in a huge house on the top of a hill, and his 2 grown children live very close by and check in on him often. No one is going to do the work to find him the perfect companion, and he told my dad he really wants one. I am more than happy to help him find a dog. I would like to find a dog in need, that he could spoil and be best friends with. If anyone in Ohio or near by knows of a Dane or hears of one that needs a great home, please let me know. I am also going to take it upon myself to visit and check on them both once a month or so. My dad would like to see his brother more often, and this way everyone wins. And in the event that My Uncle passes or can't care for the dog anymore, it would have a home with us.

Sorry so long, I just wanted to get all the details down. 
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline saintlykallismom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: In search of an older great Dane
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 01:36:31 am »
Where in ohio does he live? My cousin lives in Pittsburgh and she loves to play match maker with dogs. I am sure that she would help look around that area for an older dane. She would probably even go visit it to make sure that the dane would be good with your uncle. Even if he doesn't live near pittsburgh part of ohio I am sure she would help try to make some sort of travel arrangements. Let me know. Hope you find the perfect match for you uncle.
Proud mama of:

Kalli- 6(?)month old saint bernard
Lexi- 6 mth old orange and white kitten
Franco- 5 yearold big black cat

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
Re: In search of an older great Dane
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 01:47:26 pm »
I have talked to HH a few times...they have strict requirements, and won't allow someone to adopt a dog for someone else...they are like 4 hours from my uncle, so there is no way he could go there himself. They also have a bunch of other strict rules, and I am not going to jump through hoops trying to adopt a dog from them. I totally agree with rescues being choosy about who adopts, but I have watched the dogs on their site for over a year now, and I don't see hardly any that have been adopted. Anyway i don't want to turn this into a rescue discussion...I just want to find a dog that needs a good home, and needs to be spoiled.

I am in Central Ohio, near Mt. Vernon, my uncle is in New Philadelphia Ohio
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.