Author Topic: Multiple dogs???  (Read 18559 times)

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple dogs???
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008, 03:15:33 am »
While dogs are definitely pack animals, they've also evolved over thousands of years to be "man's best friend". They want to be with their people. If you can't give one dog the attention and time he/she deserves, you have no business bringing another dog into that situation.

I agree especially when the dogs are raised as inside dogs. For us, Marley gets a lot of attention no doubt - we don't have kids so he is our little baby boy! My debate whether to get a second dog is not to replace the attention we give to Marley but to add a companion to his life for all the moments we are not with him. Everyone's situation is different however my husband and I both work 8 hour days. We have to leave the house during that time and my debate is whether a independant pyr like Marley would benefit from having a buddy around 24/7 or if solitude while we are away from the house is also ok for him.... I guess it depends on the dogs personality and either way I won't know what he will like best unless I try it. :-\
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 03:19:43 am by MarleyPyr »
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline arkydo

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 09:48:14 am »
Having multiple dogs ha its ups and downs

downs: more money,more pooper scooping, more destruction and less room on the bed (i"m sure theres other things but i cant be bothered thinking to deeply I'll get a nosebleed)

up:Its a lot more funny, and its good for when on of your almost friends who hates dogs come over,if you have one they put up with it but still fuss you has three they don't come over
also i can go to work all day knowing that no-one is gonna do nothin to my wife

Offline steve

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 11:26:23 pm »
We have 5 dogs one of which is a male Pyr. He beat up my other small male dog and I would not trust him with another male dog because they would have to submit. Generally the pyr is a good dog he just has a strong guarding instinct that can cause problems. No one is allowed to be aggressive with the cat, stay out of his food bowl and NEVER go near his puke (I think he still sees it as his food).  I just pity the bad guy who ever has to deal with this guy. It's not always that easy to reverse 5,000 years of guard dog breeding.
He does love to play with all of my dogs and is often found in the bed with all four dogs. He does not allow anyone to pet him on the top of his head, he believes he is higher in the pack than people and if you ever confronted him you would learn he has no fear of humans. His mother and father lived as guard dogs on a farm and his short stay may have contributed to his stubborness.
He is a very good dog with a few hang ups but they can be dealt with.   

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2008, 01:40:10 am »
We have three very different dogs..and while I agree that time is always important...yo ur dog and how he relates to other dogs but pups as well as grown is important as well..

Your time and interaction with your fur kid is the most important...

example..if things seem fine now..and he is happy and you are as well,,and then a new pup enters the picture and you spend lots more time with it it can cause lots of problems..

This is the 1st time we have had three and it worked out very well..

In the past we have had many more than three,,or just two..three seemed to always end up with problems of one kind or another...but the three we have now are just perfect..

It is really up to you and how you want to do things..but time and attention always has to remain on the top of the list..

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2008, 04:28:05 pm »
We currently have two - one Swissy, one Pyr and I could never imagine only having one again.  We are in the process of deciding if we want to add a male Swissy to our pack next fall.  We've been offered a pup from an excellent breeder and from an outstanding sire & dam, but we think that the transistion to 3 dogs might be more than we want to tackle.  For example, we got a bigger SUV to accomodate two dogs and any possible future children (LIMIT 2) because we like to take our dogs with us as much as possible.  A third dog would make all that very difficult, not to mention the added costs and complications.  Right now I can easily walk both dogs myself... not sure what a third dog would do to that scenario - afterall, I only have TWO ARMS!  Even simpler things like - where do we put another elevated feeder that doesn't stick out like a sore thumb, or how much longer will it take at lunch time to take out a third dog (we don't have a fence and have to take them each out onleash - if we take them both together they want to play and not "GO POTTY!") require careful thought and consideration.  We are going to contemplate it for a while and then make a decision.
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

Offline Thelma

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2008, 06:41:06 pm »
We are definately for the multiple dogs! we have three saint bernards now and we are looking for another that needs a
home....2 of ours are rescues and that is what we are
looking for...one that needs a forever home.

They are great...they play together...wal k together...
if one is outside , the other 2 are looking for him.
Before we always just had a single dog....but we have
realized  "ya can't have just one"..lol
Our home is full of fun now...always something going on.
~Thelma & Karl~
~Duke~Zoe~Toby~Spencer

~Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body..but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out ....shouting.. . WOW!
What a Ride!!!~

Offline NarniaMals

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2008, 02:19:12 am »
We have 3 wonderful pups.  The husky was our first and my husbands choice.  Very spoiled.  He thinks he is a human.  And an ADHD one at that!  When Mau was 1yr old we added the 4 month old male mal and then a few weeks later we brought home Jadis, the mals littermate.  I wouldn't change a thing.  I went from 0 to 3 in 13 months.  ALl my friends thought I was crazy.  We have only 1 "real" kiddo - my 9 year old beautiful daughter, but now have 3 furry ones.  The beginning was rough for the little husky - within 3 months both mals outweighed him.  Now they are more than double his weight - but he still claims alpha dog status.  We have the occassional sibling arguing over bones and sometimes attention, but they are soooooo coool together.  Each has his or her own personality.  One gets to go to puppy school, one gets longer car rides and another gets very special walks.  We rotate the extra priveleges so each has them at one time.  They play wonderfully wild together and wear eachother out!

However - large dogs - large poops.  Lots of food!  Lots of treats!  Lots of bones!  Lots of time!!!! (oh - and lots of vet bills if problems crop up)

Payback - unconditional love and endless wet kisses!  And the smile on my daughters face when she is lying on the floor surrounded by three furry bears - all cuddling up with her!

Tough decision - good luck - just be prepared!
Marianne and the MALS
Jadis (Queen of Narnia - The White Witch) and
Vander  (One of her loyal guardians)
also Maulgrim (our Huskey - Head guardian and our little alpha dog!)

Offline 2pyrs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2008, 04:03:01 pm »
Our family had Belle, for 2 years and had thought about getting a second Great Pyrenees for at least half of that time.  We were worried about getting a second one, only because Belle was an only girl and she is very Alpha, so we weren't sure how she would take.
Well we gave into the impulse last summer and got General, another Pyr.  We introduced them off of Belle's property and she took to him very nicely.  General was only 3 months old, so she ended up treating him like he was her own little pup.  Belle took him under her wing and taught him the ropes (they are guard dogs) and I know that even though she seems bothered by him most days, she couldn't live without him now.  Belle is going to be 5 in May and General will be 1 and she now acts like she is semi retired, now that General will do most of the guarding. 

marypyrs

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2008, 04:22:56 pm »
Hi there 2Pyrs! Welcome aboard! Your Babes are about the same ages or age differences as my two. Rain was 5 in Feb & Whisper will be 2 the end of July. It's wonderful how the Elder teaches the new kid on the block.

Sounds as though you have a Pyrfect Fit with your two.  ;) Tell us more and please - please - Pictures!!!!  :D

Offline Lacey

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2008, 06:45:41 am »
We need to be a three dog household ... we were down to two for a bit but something was missing ... so we adopted Ozzy!!!  Currently we are having some issues (started right before Ozzy joined us), so both 'ladies' will be spayed in the next few weeks.  All was fine for two years, but our little rat has suddenly decided that she needs to be the dominant female and has started to be very vicious to Fable (our 8 year old husky mix) ... never a dull moment in our home ... and did I mention the fur EVERYWHERE!!!  I wouldn't have it any other way!

Lacey
Lacey ... caregiver to:

Fable ~ 8 yeard old husky mix female
Minerva ~ 2 year old rat terrier female
Ozzy ~ baby Australian mixed with 'something big' male

Offline dog lover

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
    • mistysands leonbergers
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2008, 08:13:05 am »
 :) lol we are crazy people .

Growing up as a kid we usually had no less than 3 dogs at a time , then i left home got married had 3 cats who were fantastic & dearly loved, but i missed not having a dog around.

We decided to get a dalmatian & she was wonderfull !!!!!

When our dalmatian was the ripe old age of 12 we then got ben our rescue golden retriever ( he was an emergency foster ), but he had issues and no where else to go but our dally loved him instantly and so he stayed with us.

At this time we had also been waiting over 12 months for our leonberger pup,but the mating did not work :'(

Then we got a call saying she had been mated on her last season and it had worked , did we still want a pup ?

Thats how we ended up with 3 dogs ! . P.S LOL we only have one child so thats makes things easier  ;)

Sadly we lost our dalmatian last July at the age of 14.5 , she was a special girl  :) & is still missed every day.

oh and we have decided to get another leonberger later this year  :), so we will be back to 3 dogs again .
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 08:15:49 am by dog lover »
Amber our liver spot dalmatian passed away after 14.5 years r.i.p.
Ben our 9 year old rescue golden retriever
Callie our 18 month old Leonberger.
Troy our 8 week old leonberger.

Offline MeAndMyMuttz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2008, 03:20:17 pm »
In my home it has always been the more the merrier but I have been lucky enough to always have well rounded and well behaved packs so to speak. As far as you travelling goes, it most likley would be easier on your pyr when you had to leave them home to have another familiar buddy to stay with.

However, I would not reccommend getting your pyr a goat or other livestock for it to guard if it has not been previously trained in guarding or you do not have the time to invest in training him. Although they have marvelous instincts it is hard to expect all pyrs to instantly know how to behave once introduced to a brand new species of animal.

"A dog is not "almost human," and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such." - John Holmes