Author Topic: small yards  (Read 2614 times)

Offline saintlykallismom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
small yards
« on: January 07, 2008, 01:57:42 am »
I have a friend who is considering a newf but she doesn't have the biggest of yards. I was just wondering if they needed to havea big yard if they were walked numerous times a day. They yard is big enough that she could run around a little if she wanted but its not like the acres that I know a lot of big paw owners have. Any feedback would be great!
Proud mama of:

Kalli- 6(?)month old saint bernard
Lexi- 6 mth old orange and white kitten
Franco- 5 yearold big black cat

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: small yards
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 10:44:36 am »
A Newf is an excellent dog in a small area.  Ours is the lowest-energy dog I have ever had.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 10:57:44 am »
Believe it or not the Pyrs also do well in a small area  Although they need to be securely fenced they do not need a large area to be happy.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 11:42:53 am »
We live in a townhome with a "nice" (comparing to others as it is end unit  ;)) fenced backyard. Lily gets 3 walks a day so backyard is only used when her friends are over  ;D
I think the size of a backyard is only an issue with sporting/hunting dogs. Those DO need to run and walks just won't do it  :P
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline SadieA

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 11:50:12 am »
I have a Bernese, not a Newf, but... I live in a walk-up flat in the heart of Toulouse, France. No yard, no dog parks, nothing but a lot of cobblestone streets, but Sam seems to do fine. He gets walked many times throughout the day, from short trips around the block to hour-long strolls. We stayed for Christmas at a house with a yard, and frankly, he wasn't that into it. He doesn't really like to run around a yard and entertain himself. He'd rather nap at home, play with his toys and lean on me while I sit around the apartment. He does love his walks, though! Also, I'll often take him down to our (shared) courtyard at night when it's deserted, and toss around his toys with him. But it doesn't seem to me that a yard is necessary as long as you have the time and desire to find other ways to exercise and entertain your pup!

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 12:43:24 pm »
I actually have a decent sized yard, but it's not fenced, so it's pretty useless to me for the dogs. I think not having a yard has actually made me a better dog owner in that I have to walk them for them to get their exercise needs met! ;) I definitely don't think you have to have a yard to have a dog, it just makes things easier if you do. But if you make the commitment to walking your dog daily, it's fine, especially for a more mellow energy dog like a newf.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Nicole

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 12:58:37 pm »
BUWAAHAHAHHAHA HHA! The thought of a Newf needing to "run around" is hilarious.

No, they do quite well in small yards. Newfs don't need to burn off excess energy quite the same way as many smaller dogs do.

Cabeza is actually only part Newf and he needs a good walk everyday, but we have a teensy yard and he's more than fine with that for the most part.

Offline MommaBear

• Paw-meister
  • baby bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 02:16:46 pm »
I agree with the others our Newf mix is perfectly happy with our small fenced lot. It allows us to play fetch with her and she enjoys just going out to lie in the snow. She gets 2 walks a day and the most of the time is lazy sleeping on the couch or bed.

Offline saintlykallismom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 04:38:39 pm »
Thanks everyone! I am sure my friend will be excited to hear this. Kalli, my saint, does just fine in our small fenced yard with 2 walks a day and I didn't think newfs were much different but I just wanted to check and make sure. I am going to be so jealous if she gets one.. Kalli and I will be over there all the time.  ;)
Proud mama of:

Kalli- 6(?)month old saint bernard
Lexi- 6 mth old orange and white kitten
Franco- 5 yearold big black cat