Author Topic: Belly Bands  (Read 3235 times)

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
Belly Bands
« on: January 09, 2008, 12:12:33 am »
Ok so my sweet little boy is growing into a adolecent and has the hormone thing happening. So needless to say he's decided to start marking IN THE HOUSE!!!! It's bad enough with Aniie who is now 5.5 and still does everything indoors now I have Mister marking. So my question here is do belly bands really work? I'm in the US at a show this weekend and if I can find them I'll pick up a few to try, but before I spend the money I wanted to know if anyone else has tried them?

And my other question is should I put a diaper on Annie to try and get her to stop? i son't know what it is but she waits to come in and do her business and I've had the biscuit now. HELP!!!!

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Belly Bands
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 12:24:25 am »
If you have one dog urinating in the house, the other is going to as well.  At least that has been my experience.  When we first got Jake and were dealing with having to housetrain him, he was jumping the gate and peeing on the dining room carpet.  My cats both decided if he could, they could.  We are still fighting the battle with them, even though, he has now stopped and the carpet is gone.  They are using the dogs beds for their bathrooms.  I've never heard of male dog hormones causing them to mark inside the house.  Max is 1.5, intact and has never marked in the house, knock on wood.  All 3 of my dogs will mark every shelf and display corner in Pets Mart if I don't keep them to the middle of the aisle and away from them.  I know that is because a million other male dogs have already done the same thing and they smell it.  I tried diapers for my Springer, at 13, she was practically completely incontinent, but all it did was create a nightmare, with her fur and cause a severe skin irritation around her groin area.  Good luck.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 12:41:51 am »
Does he mark where Annie pees? Maybe he is trying to establish his dominance by doing so  ???
I had an intact male newf and he never marked my apartment  :-\
I wish I could help  :-*
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 01:01:51 am »
Nope he pees in the living room where Annie has never peed.She pees in the doggy den. When he pees it'not the I needed to go out pee either. Annie does it down stairs. Tripper was housebroken very young and never messed in the house. Merri also waits intill she's outside. I know he's marking because I was in the basement laundry room and he caught a sent of something and peed. Could it be that Merri might be coming into season? And as for Annie I'm at a loss of what to do about it.

Icerotti

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 10:54:44 am »
Yes, Mr Farley now wears "panties" (AKA) bellybands.Oth erwise, he will mark everything in the house. It drives me crazy. They work really well. Just make sure you get the band wide enough to cover all things. I have some for Farley but they are not quiet wide enough and he will still squirt with them on.So, I have to double up to get the width. I don't use the pads inside b/c we have quite a few bands and I just wash them.

It is so funny now...all I have to do is call FArley and say "panties" and he comes over and waits to get them on...lol  ::)

I ordered mine of ebay. If you are handy sewing, you could make your own.

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 12:18:58 pm »
I'll check out ebay and the show this weekend. Little bugger. And he knows that he's not supposed to do that. He squirts and then runs like h*ll to the door with this look on his face like "Mom I don't know what happend?" Thank God he's cute!  :D

Annie is going to go through some tough love I think. She screams when put in a crate, so I think that this is going to be a good tool for me. She will have to learn that peeing and pooing ouside means no crate. And vis versa. I will start this tonight when I get home. I need to charge the ipod though so I can blast the music and not listen to her cries and give in. LOL Wish me luck with her.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 08:54:44 pm »
I too have a guy that likes to mark in the house (Nigel)  He has yet to try it in our new house *knock on wood* but is really bad at my parents.  I think due to the fact that one of the cats is a marker and there have been previous dogs that have went inside and it was never cleaned up well.  He started when my other dog first went into heat and just never stopped.

I tried belly bands on him, as well as a diaper.  He has a docked tail so the diaper would slide right off.  I tried 2 sizes of belly bands. The smaller size that I thought would fit better gave him a rash where the elastic hit his inner thighs.  The larger size was just too big and his little hoo-ha would slip out of it.  Now, since he is small, he wears a baby onesie backwards (his tail goes thru the crotch snaps) with a panty liner in it and it works great!  Of course I doubt you could find one big enough for your dog........... ..lol.

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 09:43:59 pm »
Ok what is a baby onesie?

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 01:23:53 am »
Hmmmm, I'm not sure how to describe it.  ???  Those one piece pajama things that infants wear.  They sell them from newborn up thru 24 mo old. My guy wears 12 mo.   I don't know what else they're called, I've always heard them called onesies....... ...lol.  :-\

Well, I just checked the package, and they call them onesies as well........lo l.   :D  Let me see if I can find a pic for you.  I hope this works.