Author Topic: Ranger goes under anesthesia today at 8:30 a.m. - UPDATE  (Read 7841 times)

dohertyswissy

Ranger goes under anesthesia today at 8:30 a.m. - UPDATE
« on: January 09, 2008, 11:38:05 am »
I dropped the big guy off this morning for his dental cleaning.  I was a complete nervous nelly.  Of course, he runs right in and starts loving on all of the vet techs.   ::) 

I was actually holding up better than expected, until I went back to the rest room to clean up a bit (the resident cat had loved all up on me in my work clothes) and saw Ranger chilling in a big ol' crate in the back.  He was as happy as a clam, but I got a little emotional.  I didn't let him see me and snuck out.

They told me that I should get a call around 9:30 - 10:00. 

I am at work now and can't concentrate.  I know they do this all the time, but if anything happened to him, I'd never forgive myself.  Darn those papers that I had to sign!!!  I know in the long run, though, this is better for him, I'm just gonna be a wreck until I know that he is a-okay.

The pick-up times are anytime between 4-5:45.  I'll probably get there around 5:15-5:30.

For those of you who've had your pup go under anesthesia, what should I expect when I pick him up?  Will he be a little loopy?  Just groggy?  It'll have been around 8 hours after he comes out that I'll be picking him up.

Thank you so much in advance for your support.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 02:33:00 pm by Swissy »

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
Re: Ranger goes under anesthesia today at 8:30 a.m.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 12:35:35 pm »
Ah! I was typing this whole thing and then my computer decided to do a restart for some updates or something >:(

Basically, I was just going to say, I just went through EXACTLY what you're going through now, on Monday!!

No matter how much we tell you it will be ok, you won't feel better until you get that phone call saying your baby did very well with the surgery. But, he will be ok! It will be ok. Like I said, it doesn't mean much at the moment, but he'll be just fine! ;D

When he comes home, expect him to be a bit wobbly. Not the best on his feet. Careful around those turns on the way home! Once you get home, he'll probably be sleepy. They will most likely recommend you to offer water, and if he does ok with that, give him a bit of food. He may or may not want it though. I'm not sure, but his teeth might be a little sore too. I thought I'd soften Miles' food a bit since he had that baby tooth removed, but he didn't want it that way. He wanted it hard!!

Everything will be fine!! Give him tons of kisses when he gets home :-* :-* :-*
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline Amy (guffer)

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Ranger goes under anesthesia today at 8:30 a.m.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 12:56:42 pm »
Hope you get that call soon.  I worry the same way when any of my guys get put under anesthesia.  After their neuters, my little ones came right home from the vets hyper and happy as could be.  Zeus and Apollo, on the other hand, were a bit loopy 'til the next day - tripping over their own feet and not wanting to eat.  Zeus was worse than his brother, but he was back to 100% by the next afternoon.  I'm sure Ranger is going to be just fine.  Kisses to the big guy from me and the fur kids! :-* :-* :-*

dohertyswissy

Re: Ranger goes under anesthesia today at 8:30 a.m. - UPDATE
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 02:34:11 pm »
I got a call from the vet and Ranger's cleaning went really well.  They called just as he was waking up.  I think it was pretty apparent that I was "one of those" parents.  LOL! 

I'm going to call later and check in.  I'm just glad it is done!!   :)

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 03:28:34 pm »
When I was a vet tech I scrubbed in on countless spays and neuters and nothing ever went wrong....but my dad had a cat who bled out and died when he had her spayed.  Guess which sticks in my mind?  I am a nervous wreck when any of my animals go under anesthesia.  I pace the floor and jump every time the phone rings....my universe is out of kilter until I know the beloved furbaby is okay!

Glad to hear Ranger is doing okay.  He probably looks pretty funny right now.  That's another thing I remember from my vet tech days....when the animals woke up they were cross-eyed and their tongues didn't work right....it was funny watching them try to lick their nose in slow motion with their heads bobbing and weaving, lol! 

Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 04:49:50 pm »
I'm glad that you got the call and you can try to stop worrying!!  Ranger will probably have much better breath now.

I had my teeth cleaned yesterday; Ranger was probably more brave than I was!!

Check in later after you pick him up and let us all know how he is looking

Randy and Harley

dohertyswissy

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 04:50:19 pm »
Of course, I'm a big loser and called the vet again to check on Ranger Roo.   ::)  He is, and I quote, "Doing great.  He is cute and drooly."  It was good to hear, considering cute and somewhat drooly is the norm.   ;)

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 12:42:40 am »
So glad all went well with Ranger's teeth cleaning!  Auntie Rachel sends lots of hugs and kisses to your big, sweet boy!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 01:14:15 am »
i'm glad it went well. 

pups coming out of being under is kinda goofy.  they are a little out of it and they have the biggest eye goopies ever.  but they sleep it off.