Author Topic: EEK! I think a rattlesnake lives in my back yard, and I am freaking out about it  (Read 7559 times)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Let me preface this by saying my #1 fear is snakes. I HATE them. If I see a garden snake, I run screaming....

So a few times now, when we have gone in our back yard Zoey has freaked out - growling, barking, running back up to the front of the house. I never knew what was scaring her, but I assumed it was an animal and hoped it was a harmless furry one. Now I think I know what it is and I an FREAKING OUT.

So earlier Dan called me out to the yard to show me something. A neighbors cat had wandered into the backyard (I didn't know it was the neighbors cat at the time though). I wanted to go check the cat to see if it was lost/hungry/etc and Dan tells me I can't because there is a rattlesnake back there. I thought he was joking, but he pointed out the intermitent shaker noise that we were hearing. I have heard this noise a bunch of times before at random times, but I thought the neighbors just had a weird sounding sprinkler system. As soon as the cat left our yard, the noise stopped. And I just googled rattlesnake noises and it is the exact same noise.

Our yard is like an acre of grass, but has big bushes on the back and sides because we just bought the house a few months ago and haven't gotten around to taming them. There is also an old fire pit that we need to tear down. Now I am afraid that a rattlesnake may live in one of them. EEK!

I live in New England. Is it possible for rattlesnakes to live around here? How do I get rid of it? What do I do? Help me - I am so freaking scared of snakes, especially poisonous ones that could kill me or zoey.  :-[
RIP former BPO

GYPSY JAZMINE

I hate snakes too!..Petsnakes are o.k...I can handle them & touch them with no problem...It's the ones that are out crawling around where I might step that are a problem with me!...When I was 10 or so I spent a whole summer in the house after dark because I thought the crickets singing were rattlesnakes.. .lol...Anyway, call animal control or the police departement... I am sure they will be able to help you out...I hope you get it out of there!

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Can my husband please please please come kill it.  Since we lost Rosie to a snake bite we try our best to keep 15acs. clear of any snakes.  If your fur-baby has even a little limp take him to the vet ASAP.  Some time you are not able to see any bit marks or signs of the bit.  I would find someone to kill it ASAP.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Tommorow Dan is going to ask a friend of his who is a police officer if anyone in their department or the animal control can help us. I am afraid that they are going to think we are crazy because this is New England - I should NOT have to worry about rattle snakes. But I don't care. I told Dan we have to move if they can't kill it (mind you, we just bought this house, and I am only partially joking). I have heard this sound at least a dozen times since we moved here and it didn't even occur to me that a rattler was a possible explanation but now I am convinced it is one.

I have been taking zoey mostly on walks in the park instead of playing the backyard because it is too hot to run around and it is not fenced in yet. But now I am terrified to go back there at all.

This sucks so bad.
RIP former BPO

Offline Viney Dog

• Ankle Biter
  • Raisa-Beautiful.....
    • View Profile
I don't blame you and I feel the same way...can't stand them whatsoever.  But, there is such a thing as a Bull Snake, that does produce a rattle, it does bite, but is NOT poisonous.  If rattlesnakes are not indeginous to your area, it may be a bull snake.  In Wisconsin, where I live, we have both rattelsnakes and bullsnakes.  2 years ago, Czar and Raisa found the rattlesnake and it lunged at Czar's rear.  It missed him, but I got them both in the house ASAP, checked for bites, and I will say the snake was destroyed by my husband...of which I then took pictures.  2 weeks ago, a huge 6' bull snake appeared in our front drive way.  We couldn't get close to it, and it was lunging at the shovel my husband was trying to kill it with, but it was too nasty, so he had to resort to other means.  Once again, I took pictures. I can't and won't have those on the property whatsoever, it is too dangerous.  But, I have talked extensively with my vet about what to do in case one of the dogs is bit.  Most snake bites to dogs occur in the face, neck and head area.  Keep the dog calm and quiet, try not to panic, call ahead to a vet, and get them there immediately.  My vet indicated they also need the snake to prove it is a rattler, as if they provide the anti-venom to a dog that was bit by a non-poisonous bull snake, the anti-venom will kill the dog.  So, in my mind, I am thinking...OK, so my 128 # dog gets bit.  I have to then kill the snake, keep the dog calm; load the dog AND the dead snake into my truck and drive 45 minutes to the vet hospital with a bit dog and a dead snake in the truck?  Not happening.  So, the vet said, most rattlesnake bites are not treated by anti-venom, only by IV fluids, rest and some other drugs and have a high success rate of recovery.  If you live in an area where it makes sense to have a pest control service search and remove the snakes, then go that route ASAP.  Good luck, and do a little reasearch on where the anti-venom is kept in your area.  In my area, it is only kept at the University of Wisconsin Hospitals in Madison and is very costly, but I would do whatever it takes to save any of my dogs should it ever happen.

Offline Lucysdad

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
In areas where snakebite is an issue (like eastern Oregon) and discharging a firearm is not a crime, mini shotshells are available for several calibers of handgun. I have no idea how aggresive your local species of rattler is, they are not all the same, but I would not test it by going after one with a shovel.

Best idea might be to contact your local zoo, ask for the currator of their reptile exhibit. I bet she/he knows a snake handler in your area that can take care of this without anybody getting hurt, or scaring the beejeezus out of the neighbors.

Good Luck, be glad you don't live in Austrailia.... .............. .. some of those things will chase you!
Lucy's Dad (Gene)

Outside a Dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside a Dog it's too dark to read. -- Groucho Marx

GYPSY JAZMINE

In areas where snakebite is an issue (like eastern Oregon) and discharging a firearm is not a crime, mini shotshells are available for several calibers of handgun. I have no idea how aggresive your local species of rattler is, they are not all the same, but I would not test it by going after one with a shovel.

Best idea might be to contact your local zoo, ask for the currator of their reptile exhibit. I bet she/he knows a snake handler in your area that can take care of this without anybody getting hurt, or scaring the beejeezus out of the neighbors.

Good Luck, be glad you don't live in Austrailia.... .............. .. some of those things will chase you!
Oh thanks alot!...I am sure to have sweet dreams tonight now! :-\ :o :D

Offline Lucysdad

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Lucy and I live in Portland OR and like to travel around the NW a bit. Actually we like to travel a lot, but that's a new topic. I've seen the shotshells on rafting and camping trips, sitting on the counter next to the cash register in fact. Don't have any idea if they would be of use to you in your part of the country....... .......
Lucy's Dad (Gene)

Outside a Dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside a Dog it's too dark to read. -- Groucho Marx

Offline Joji

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
A quick Google check shows that timber rattlesnakes are found in New England, although identifying a snake isn't always as easy as confirming whether or not its rattling its tail ... several non-venonmous varieties take advantage of the rattlesnake's reputation. Contacting animal control may provide some good leads to find someone to remove a snake; however, I would urge you not to panic and kill the snake. Even though some are poisonous, they serve an important function in the balance of nature, namely keeping down rat and mice populations. Instead, consider having the animal removed and relocated to a more appropriate wildlife area.  JMO.

- Teresa
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. -Phil Pastoret

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
I am going to tell my SO to research bull snakes and timber rattlesnakes. I can't even do the internet research myself, because even just looking at the snake on the page sends shivers down my spine. When I went online to hear an mp3 of a rattlesnake to compare against what we heard in the backyard, I had to cover the screen with a paper so I didn't have to look at the pictures.

I love nature and I love all other creatures, but I hate snakes with a passion. I want them all to be either dead or very very far away from me. When I was a kid we lived on a farm and there were huge snakes everywhere and they would pop up in unexpected places and my dad would pick them up and play with them like it was no big deal. I think I am forever traumatized by those snakes. I would never hurt a fly, but I would kill a snake in a second if I wasn't too terrified to get near them.

I am going to call the animal control and if they don't help me there is a zoo in the town over so maybe I will call them. But what terrifies me is what if they can't find it? I have only ever heard it, I have never seen it except for rustling grass that I thought might be a chipmunk or something.Ther e are huge bushes all around the yard. It could be hiding anywhere! It is terrifying!
RIP former BPO

lins_saving_grace

I HATE SNAKES!!!!!!!!!  AAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHH!

I cut one in half once and made 2 snakes that went in opposite directions.   

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
I wouldn't worry about them not finding the snake, most animal control people are trained in capturing animals, they will find the snake and get rid of it for you  ;D

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

lins_saving_grace

I would be outside with a hoe at all times hunting them done...I hate them that much.   :o

lins_saving_grace

I was riding along on the Harley one day in the country...and saw this twisted thing in the road.   I knew what it was.  Well you can't exactly slam on the brakes in that situation even if you know what it is you're looking at.  Just gotta take what you got flying at you.  I shifted enough not to go left of center...but the dumb thing still got mad that I was disturbing his rest and coiled up and struck my leg on my way by.   I was so freeked.  Luckily, another bike ran over it on his way by. 

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
I am not a fan of snakes either, but they are living creatures that do help natures balance. If we didn't have snakes think of all the nasty rats that would be running around. yuck!!!

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)