Author Topic: Anal Glands!!!  (Read 7297 times)

Offline sophiemom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Anal Glands!!!
« on: January 10, 2008, 02:08:00 pm »
Hello Everyone!  My friend at work told me about your site and I wanted to ask you all about anal glands.  My poor 3 year old Lab/Retriever Mix, Sophie, has been dealing with this ever since she was 4 months old.  She has get to them expressed by the vet at least once a month and because of this it is becoming painful and harder to do.  We have tried high fiber dog food but Sophie refuses to eat it. We have tried dried prunes but those make her sick.  We are now using Benefiber in her food every day.  Does anyone have any other suggestions we could try?  I do not want her to have surgery for it.  Thank you all ahead of time for any responses.

Offline sophiemom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Anal Glands!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 02:19:01 pm »
We aren't currently feeding her the high fiber food...we're just adding Benefiber to her regular food.  She eats right away.  We tried high fiber food but she would not eat it no matter what we added to it.   :(

Offline sophiemom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 04:28:38 pm »
Yes, she has normal bowel movements but the vet thinks that her stool is probably not hard enough so that is why we've been trying all this fiber stuff.  I've read that canned pumpkin can help. 

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 04:36:15 pm »
Yup, canned pumpkin should help alot, that is what we used with Naja until her tummy got used to her food when she was a pup.  Give it a try, it can't hurt, and she'll love getting it.  ;)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline sophiemom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 04:51:35 pm »
Thanks!  How much do you think would be good to start?  She's 75 lbs.  Also, should we use it along with the Benefiber or use just the pumpkin?   ???

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 07:44:06 pm »
I must say, though, that I chortled when I saw that "scootergirl" made a post on the anal gland thread.  Charlie once called our old girl Tia "Scootergirl" as she scooted across the floor on her butt when needed her anal glands expressed.  I had never made the connection with your name until now. ;D ;D ;D

HAAAAAAA HAAAAAA!!! LMAO! That brought tears to my eyes - in more ways than one!! Now, I may have to change my name. For the record, this is why I'm scootergirl:

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 12:21:09 am »
The poop has to be really firm for anal glads to express them selfs. Have you tried high protein food? My dog in on grain free food and I have never had any problems  ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)