Author Topic: Winston's creaky.....like an old man!  (Read 3548 times)

DenverFurKiddos

Winston's creaky.....like an old man!
« on: January 12, 2008, 09:32:57 pm »
So, am I just being a nervous ninny?  Whenever Winston stands up from a laying down, I hear his joints cracking.  Could this be a sign of HD? 

DenverFurKiddos

Re: Winston's creaky.....like an old man!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 10:01:53 pm »
Hi!  Thanks...I really value your opinions and it helps me to communicate with my vet.  Both boys are due this month for some shots, so I'll ask then.  Again....thank s!

DenverFurKiddos

(Update) Winston's creaky.....like an old man!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 01:03:05 pm »
Hi all!  I'm kinda bummed.  I half expected my vet to tell me that Winston was just fine and that I'm just a neurotic momma.  But, even I couldn't deny that something was really wrong this past weekend.  I took Winston to the park (where we ran and played like a MANIAC!) last weekend.  By the end of the day, he was having some serious problems getting up.  He was whimpering and just acting really pitiful.  Granted, I think that he was probably just mostly sore, but still...he just 17mos old! 

Anyway, I told the vet about this, his clicking, and that he is slow to get up, at times.  We talked about supplements, but he recommended x-rays so that we know what we're really dealing with. 

So...looks like we can add Winston to the HD list:( 

The vet did say something interesting... he was saying that the glucosomine tablets that you buy at Sam's club (and other low-cost tablets) are not regulated and that they may not be as good of a product.   Hmmm...what do you a'll think????

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 01:54:29 pm »
I don't know anything about the tablets, but I buy Liquid Glucosamine/chondroiten from the health food store and it's just great.  Naja had some clicking and stiffness after she slid full throttle into a wooden post, but now she's fine.  We've been on it for about 2-3 months now, and I'm thinking about buying my third bottle on my next paycheck, so it does last a good while per bottle.  By the way, I'm really sorry to hear about Winston, I hope you don't have to add him to the HD list, but if you do, I know that you'll take good care of him, and he won't have many problems.  ;)

Big slobbery kisses for Winston, and a big hug for you!  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 03:59:53 pm »
Aww...Thanks guys!!!  :) I know, I really need a reality check...I know that things could be much worse and I feel like whatever it is, we're catching it early.  I would like to buy some glucosomine/combo things ASAP.

Thanks for the suggestion, Kooks.....anyo ne else?  Can you tell me the brand and price of the ones that you use that you think have been helpful?  I know that I've seen some at Petsmart, but I thought that maybe these would be marked up.

I'm open to any suggestions!  As always, thanks for all the support and advice.  I feel truly blessed to have this board!

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 11:34:43 am »
My husband is freaking out about the cost of the x-rays (over $300), so he, of course, if falling back on his favorite line- "He doesn't really NEED those x-rays!"  GAWD!  I'm so annoyed.  Anyway, I think we came up with a good compromise-  I told him that the x-rays WILL NOT be put off indefinately, but I will wait until Winston stops growing.  So, I'm going to schedule teh x-rays for the summer, when he reaches 2 years of age.  In the meantime, I'm off to find a good glucosomine combo....

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 02:03:07 pm »
My vet told me that the reason Sam's wasn't good enough was it didn't have everything needed; MSM, Vit C and something else.  I put Navarre on Synovi G3 and I could tell a good difference within a week.  I'll try to find the ingredients and post them.  I wonder if it will work for people too, I've been a bit slower lately!!!! 
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 02:42:39 pm »
Hi there,  Okay, so the stuff  I buy is called Glucosamine 2000.  It's made by a company called Land Art which is in Quebec Canada.  The website is http://www.landart.qc.ca/home.html.  Here's what it says on my bottle: Directions: 1 to 2 tablespoon (15-30 ml) dailey before breakfast

Each Tablespoon (15 ml) contains: Glucosamine - 500mg;  Cat's Claw - 610 mg; Devil's Claw - 750mg; Calcium Chloride - 50mg; Magnesium Chloride - 40 mg; Vitamine C - 50mg

Other Ingredients: Purified Water, Glycerine, Citric Acid, Natural Flavour.

It also say's that it's made without dairy products, wheat gluten, yeast, corn and sodium

I think it's available in the States, the website said it's sold all over North America.  Anyways, good luck  ;)  Give a big kiss to Winston for me, and I hope he's feeling better soon.   :-* :-*
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 03:25:12 pm »
Hey! Thanks so much! 
P.S...Naja is turning into such a beautiful gal!