Author Topic: Today in the Dog Park...(Updated Feb 2)  (Read 12333 times)

Offline Edwpang

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Today in the Dog Park...(Updated Feb 2)
« on: January 13, 2008, 12:40:24 am »
Butter was quite a bully. He kept harassing less confident dogs. He knew right away whom he can take advantage of. First a mini aussie, then a lab. Butter wouldn't leave alone them even they surrendered. The owners were a little upset about this. I had to grab him and led him away several times. How can I correct his behavior?

BTW, some pictures. Butter was harassing none of the dog in the pictures including the tiny guy, who had a very protective doodle checking back all the time.  So I had time to take photos.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 03:25:09 pm by Edwpang »

Offline Edwpang

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Today in the Dog Park...
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 01:05:32 pm »
Please help me. I don't want Butter to be considered as the "bad" dog. He loves the dog park so much.

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 06:57:32 pm »
Have you tried giving him a time out on leash by your side as soon as he starts to misbehave?  I would try that.  Just stay relatively close to wherever he is playing and watch him like a hawk.  As soon as he starts, yell NO or whatever you use for correction, put him on his leash and make him sit by you and watch the others play for 5 minutes or so, then let him try again.  If you do this consistently, and catch him the minute he starts acting out, he will quickly learn that this behavior is not acceptable to you and it stops him being able to play.  When he is playing nicely, tell him so.  Good boy Butter, etc.  This has worked with mine in the past.  One of our parks also has a time out area, a corner of the park is fenced into little runs.  I know how you feel.  There are bad dogs in the park, that I don't want around me or my boys, but none of us want our dog to be the one that other owners avoid.  Good luck.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Edwpang

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 07:29:24 pm »
Thanks a lot Maxsmom. That's a great idea. I always tried to follow him around, and if he did this I'd grab his leash and led him away, but he ran so fast, it took a while to get to him... I'll be working harder in this direction.

Modify to add:
"There are bad dogs in the park, that I don't want around me or my boys, but none of us want our dog to be the one that other owners avoid. " Well said.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 07:42:37 pm by Edwpang »

Offline Edwpang

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 07:36:29 pm »
Thanks gr8dame for your reply.
I'll be working with Butter on this issue. If Butter continues to misbehavior, I probably also have to stop going to dog park, but try to find some doggy friend with matching enery level and strengh.

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 02:10:32 pm »
I have nothing to add other then good for you for being proactive in this, it shows you really care not only about your dog, but also the dogs he interacts with.  :)  Also the pictures are great, I love seeing Butter in action!  ;)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Edwpang

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 04:45:30 pm »
I have nothing to add other then good for you for being proactive in this, it shows you really care not only about your dog, but also the dogs he interacts with.  :)  Also the pictures are great, I love seeing Butter in action!  ;)
Thank you for your comments. :) I contribute this to the great inflence from BPO.:D As a relatively new dog owner, I learn a lot from BPO.

Offline Edwpang

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Today in the Dog Park.(Updated Jan 19)
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 03:19:07 am »
Butter was better than last week. Part of reason was he was attracted by a male beagle. He followed for about 20 minutes and tried to hump him if he got the chance. I'd remove him from this situation if I could catch up. The underdog was also a submissive lab, but Butter only watched a goldendoole and another dog harassing the poor guy.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 02:14:47 am by Edwpang »

Offline Edwpang

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 03:39:21 am »
It's pretty cold today, but I saw a lot of nice dogs, especially this newfie with shining fur. He is so nice and gentle.

lorim2

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 10:46:37 am »
We used to go to the park alot and Marley would do fine until it got to the day that no other dog was bigger than Marley.  Whent that happened he really got the "Wow I am the big guy attitude"  We continue to work on it but I am very careful to correct it early because of his size.  Fortunately his need to please his family is greater than his need to be big man on campus...His feelings get hurt very easily and that is def to my advantage.  He truly likes to please us!

Offline Edwpang

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 12:31:10 pm »
What exactly is Butter doing to the other dogs that causes concern? There is such a wide range of behavior at our park that most things fall within the norm. Amazingly, I've never seen an actual fight, though I've witnessed a lot of telling off.

Nothing wrong this week. But last week, he kept on monthing and/or barking at dogs who had turned over or started yelping. This caused the owners to be uncomfortable.

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 01:39:00 pm »
He's probably playing with them.  Issy does that all time to Axle.  He rolls over on his back and swishes from side to side, scratching, and Issy jumps up and grabs his leg or hits him with her nose and inevitably starts barking at him.  I think it's because when she wants to play with him he ignores her and she's trying to get his attention!!  Be when he's ready to play there is no ignoring him!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Edwpang

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 07:48:12 pm »
He's probably playing with them.  Issy does that all time to Axle.  He rolls over on his back and swishes from side to side, scratching, and Issy jumps up and grabs his leg or hits him with her nose and inevitably starts barking at him.  I think it's because when she wants to play with him he ignores her and she's trying to get his attention!!  Be when he's ready to play there is no ignoring him!!

Yeah, he was doing the same thing, but he kept doing it even if the other dog just refused to play... So the owner was not happy, and I had to intervene.

Offline karateblossom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • skin and fur family of many children from ages 5 to 14 living at home; and eng mastiff named odin and a siamese named april. we are like alvin and the chipmunks meet garfield!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 01:00:30 am »
I'm learning a lot from u guys about dog parks....2 weeks ago, i'd never heard of one!  Funny enough, there was a judge mathis case on tv thursday between a 2 lb chihuahua in the little/shy dog section that was 'aggressed' by a 20 lb bigger dog.  The little dog had to have $1500 in surgery and the 20lb dog owner was ordered to pay 1/2 of the vet bill because although the little doggies parents take the 'risk', other owners have a responsibility to keep aggression out. But I was like-ewwwwweeeeee, I know what a dog park is! I know what a dog park is!  ;)  Had it not been for what learned here, i'd have been lost on that case!   
karma is kewl!

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Today in the Dog Park.(Updated Jan 19)
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 02:43:07 am »
P.S. last of the pictures. What breed is the dog with Butter?

Looks like a Bernese Mountain Dog to me...

Good for you for being pro-active.  We can't go to the dog park because at some point (after going sucessfully for quite awhile) Ranger decided that he is an a**, so I can definitely sympathize with being perceived as the "bully".  You have gotten some good advice...

*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*