Author Topic: Phoebe's food aggression!!!! HELP!!!  (Read 2102 times)

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Phoebe's food aggression!!!! HELP!!!
« on: January 13, 2008, 11:32:56 am »
It all actually started when she was just 10wks or so and she got sick and was on a prescription diet canned soft food.  She would growl when the kids or myself would be by her while she ate, had the kids take the bowl from her and pretend to eat it and sit by her to try and get her used to it. Well now that she is 70+ lbs it has got me worried if she has a rawhide etc. she is just so focused on that food and if the kids even go near her she growls at them.  I know its a dominance issue but the boys are just too young for me to be comfortable with them reaching in and taking the treat from her.  My husband and myself are definately the Alfa and she doesnt growl at us.  I have just resorted to not giving her any bone type treats anymore she acts like she hasnt eaten in a week when she gets them.  I could crate her when she eats them but that does'nt solve the problem. 
Does anybody have any input on this.  She is the sweetest thing ever but give her a bone and she goes nuts.
Becky
Becky
Phoebe 1-1/2 Yr.Great Pyrenees
MollyGirl No longer with us Pyr/Springer mix

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Phoebe's food aggression!!!! HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 12:53:33 pm »
If your kids are old enough, have them be the ones that give her, or hold as Jenn suggested, any bones/treats and her food.  And before she gets them she must sit/down for the children, not for you or your husband.  She needs to start recognizing them as being in charge too.

Navarre was that way with his food and I started making him eat his dinner out of my lap, which he didn't like because I would be above him, or he had to eat it out of my hand.  Then I put my hand in his bowl while he ate, I'd just watch TV and let him eat.  At first I wouldn't move my hand at all, then after a few times I would move it a little.  I took it slow but it worked for me.  Now, I'm not saying to have your kids do this but maybe you or your husband should even though she doesn't growl at you there is still a food issue there.  Good luck
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 01:33:32 pm »
Another thought if she is expecting the kids to "take" from her is to teach her that things aren't "taken away," they are "exchanged". So maybe while Phoebe has a semi-mediocre treat, have the kids trade her with a really fantastic treat. That way she will learn that they give good stuff, not take stuff away, so she won't have to "guard" her stuff from them.

This worked really well with Jenny--like Phoebe, she is a sweetheart, but if she had a bully stick, she would get possessive. When I started doing this, she relaxed.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 02:32:43 pm »
How old are your boys?  I would of course teach them to try not to bother her while she's occupied with a raw hide, but maybe condition her to not get grumpy as well.   Now I'm just going by what I think would be good, and by all means if your not comfortable with it don't do it.  But maybe have the boys go over to her (strictly supervised of course) with her favorite treats, maybe freeze dried liver?  Have them get close to her with the treat and tell her to drop the bone, then give her a tasty treat when she does, if she gets growly at all reprimand her at once.  Have them get closer and closer to the bone each time and over a period of time, I wouldn't expect this behaviour to vanish in one sitting.  Make sure you have them reward the good behaviour with treats, and always step in when she gets growly.  Just a thought.   ;) :D  Good luck!

Modified to add:  I guess I should have read the responses before I opened my big mouth!  lol  Has it gotten any better?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 02:35:46 pm by London_Pyr_Lover »
My Sponsership page for my very first race!