Author Topic: Video of our pig eating from a spoon!!  (Read 2709 times)

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Video of our pig eating from a spoon!!
« on: January 14, 2008, 02:29:00 pm »
I finally uploaded the video of Ginger eating from a spoon and drinking from a cup!  It was taken last summer when she had an abcessed hoof....I had to give her medicine 4 times a day for over 6 weeks and her foot was so swollen and painful she didn't want to walk to her bowls.  It took me less than 20 minutes to teach her to do these things....pigs are very intelligent. Unfortunately, because of that intelligence it took me several days to find the right food to hide her medicine in!  I tried applesauce, yogurt, pomegranate juice, etc....she could smell as little as 1/8 tsp. of medicine in it and refused to eat it.  Finally, I came up with the right "recipe"....oatmeal made with Vanilla Chai!  She loves the stuff!

Since then Ginger INSISTS on being fed with a spoon every evening.  If I set her food pot on the floor with the spoon in it, she will pick it up in her teeth and fling it at me and stand there oinking and squealing and head-butting me until I feed her!  I tell her she is a very sophisticated pig, haha!

I'm not sure which part of the video is more ridiculous.... the pig eating off a spoon or me talking baby talk while she does it, lol.  I can't help myself....I always talk to my animals this way, with no thought of how idiotic I sound! 

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAlW95P9kTQ
Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne

Lyn

Re: Video of our pig eating from a spoon!!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 02:53:29 pm »
LOL! I think she's adorable! If we had more room I'm sure my hubby would have a few. :D

I baby talk too, most of the time without even realizing that I'm doing it. Hubby gives me flack over it, but I've caught him doing it too. :D ;)

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 06:44:40 pm »
Yes, she definitely has me trained, lol.  A couple years ago I mounted a bell with a rope pull on the side of the barn...figured I would use it to call the pigs in for food, etc.  But Ms. Ginger learned how to stand up and grab the bell pull with her mouth and ring it whenever she wanted attention..... about 10 times a day!  Needless to say, the bell came down, lol.  But it did make me feel very guilty about my poor piggies out there alone in the barn all day.  Since pigs are so intelligent, they can get bored easily....espe cially during the winter when they can't root in the grass (they HATE snow).  So now I try to go out and visit with them, and I make them root boxes and toys.  I have big plans for the pig pen this summer...a huge expansion and a small pond (wallow) with a footbridge over it!  Naaaaah, my pigs aren't spoiled.....lo l...
Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 06:57:28 pm »
OMG I just love love love it!!!!! Ginger is way too cute, especially drinking from the cup. You can even hear the slurping just liek little kids when they drink.

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 07:03:05 pm »
Oh my Goodness!  That was freaking adorable!  I couldn't see it while at work, so I just HAD to watch it quickly before school, it was SO worth it!  She's a cutie pie!  I love the noises she makes when she eats!   :-* :-* :-*
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 07:11:00 pm »
I Love Ginger!!! She is so cute when she is smelling her drink first before taking a sip  :-*
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline diamienono

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 07:15:13 pm »
that is too cute.  I expected a vidoe of you dog though.  Sorry, my dogs are pigs lol. I was shocked to see it was actually a pig.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 01:48:59 am »
Awwww, Ginger is adorable and very, very talented!   ;)  ;D  It sounds like your lucky piggies have the life!   :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees