Author Topic: 4 Month old Bernese vomiting 4 days now :(  (Read 10086 times)

Offline Mainebernese

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: 4 Month old Bernese vomiting 4 days now :(
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2008, 12:30:12 pm »
SO yesterday morning, Cooper ate this Brat diet (rice and chicken) for the second time and then got sick.  The vet was able to squeeze us in mid-morning.  Before we ended up going to the vet, we stopped by my parent's house and Cooper turned back into his usual normal self, playing non stop with my parent's dog, Adie.  At the vet, he again acted normal.  He had a slight temperature, but nothing to be worried about.  The vet checked him out and decided not to do blood work or Xrays on him, since he acted fine, his checked reflected a healthy puppy, and was still eating and pooping.  The only suggestion she had was to give him half a Pepcid AC tablet with his food twice a day.  Last night he was fine, just slept a little more than usual (typical after a vet visit...he gets a bit stressed there).

Then this morning we got up and fed him half of his normal kibble with a little rice and pepcid (recommend by the vet).  And yet again, he got sick this morning.  20 minutes later, we were outside on poop patrol and he was running around like a nut, playing with us and tossing around sticks.    The vet suggested bringing in a sample of his stool to double check for worms (even though he has already been dewormed and had his stool checked before).  They mentioned before that if things didn't clear up, then he should have blood work done and probably Xrays as well.  :( 

I apologize for ranting on like this, but I feel like I am at a loss on what is wrong with him.  Has anyone else had anything similar like this happen to their dog?       
Kaitlen

Cooper ~ 1 year old Bernese Mountain Dog
Coda (aka ruler of the household) ~ 5 year old, chubby grumpy, male cat
Ava (sister to the ruler) ~ 5 year old petite angel, female cat

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2008, 02:00:07 pm »
I have a puppy 4 months old that went through about a month of throwing up- she then would eat her vomit (disgusting!) She was fine and hopefully has outgrown it now.  Try frequent small meals and keep on bland  I also give a biscuit right before bedtime so she doesn't have an empty stomach overnight- that in itself can cause an upset tummy.  Not losing weight acting normal routine tests OK - ignore it and it will eventually go away

Offline Mainebernese

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 03:44:19 pm »
Today has so far been a good day.  We ended up switching Cooper's food from purena pro plan to an organic lamb and rice food.  He loves it and has been able to keep everything down so far on it.  I went into the vet today with his stool sample and the test results came back negative for worms...they also said that as long as he is still not vomiting, that he can wait until this appointment on thursday. 
Kaitlen

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 01:43:23 pm »
Glad that Cooper is feeling better.  I imagine that the
"Potty Mouth" pills may have been the cause. Sometimes a change in food may also help with the poop eating..then again maybe not???  Let us know how he is doing. 

Offline Mainebernese

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2008, 11:28:32 am »
Good news...Cooper has been a happy healthy puppy ever since we switched his food over.  I am still not sure if it was the Potty Mouth pills or his prior food, or even both.  He has rapidly starting growing in size again, phew.  Thank you all for answering my questions and support!   :D
Kaitlen

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2008, 11:49:36 pm »
Great!  Hope he continues to improve!  Stick with it!